Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally saw both BRZ wheel sizes Limited and Premium and took a few pics. These are WA USA delivered.
I was surprised how little the wheel size difference looked in person.

One notable was that with the OEM smaller wheel and tire you have a bit of rubber about 3/8" before scraping a curbside, and the larger will scrape the wheels rim first at a curb, it's about 1/8-1/4" wheel first into a curb scrape.

18":
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Locking hubs

·
Registered
198 Posts
Not on this planet. 17" wheel vs 18" wheel is 1" different at the bead groove dia.
I think that's how it works, but would bet a new BRZ on it!
Well obviously it is an inch at the bead groove. The true diamater of a tire is measured from the actual top of the tire to the actual bottom of the tire.

When you compare these 2 tires they are 24.8 inches in the 18 and 24.6 inches on the 17. If that isn't nearly the same size then I'm not sure what is.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, overall tire diameter needs to be same else the speedometer would be off too far.
Its the look of the wheels/tires that I felt didn't look 1" different in the wheel/rim/aluminum part of objectively viewing the Limited/Premium BRZ
Phew!

·
Registered
62 Posts
The design of the wheel makes a big difference in how we perceive the size. In some designs, 17” vs 18” is a massive difference (enkei RPF1 for example). But in other designs it’s hard to spot.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Yes, overall tire diameter needs to be same else the speedometer would be off too far.
Its the look of the wheels/tires that I felt didn't look 1" different in the wheel/rim/aluminum part of objectively viewing the Limited/Premium BRZ
Phew!
Well when the tires are essentially the same size there is an optical illusion that will keep your brain from seeing the difference. Very few of us would be able to pick the different sizes if they were the same color.

I would have preferred the 17s, but I went limited. You get a taller sidewalk on the 17 inch tires.

I wanted Blindspot monitoring. And there was more money to play with on the more expensive car when trying to negotiate.

I wouldn't have been able to get 1500 off MSRP on the premium.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Those 17" are gorgeous. Big improvement over outgoing. As for the amount sticking out over the rim, there must be a difference in curb protection designed into the Primacy vs the P4S. (Curb protection is a very nice feature that I look for in replacement tires). It can't be because of tire width or rim width since they are the same (215mm stretched across 7.5" in both cases).

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hah! The curb protection of 17"s ain't much, so it has to be a really soft curb kiss.
In person the 17 and 18 rims were nearly identical size. But it was raining and cold so I may be off.
I didn't really like the looks of either tire, would like more rubber as in like a 16" wheel. I'm an old man so I'm used to seeing more of a full tire.
Here's a 17" Lexus wheel and a good tire mounted on my 1996 Hilux Surf.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle

There is a bit more rubber on these ones!

·
Registered
823 Posts
I rock that NASCAR look in the winter with my 16" steelies.

It sounds like your roads look like mine. I'm sure you'll be happy on the 17" (with better tires). But you could certainly get some nice forged 16" and sell the OEM 17's or 18's.

If there there was an RC stripper version offered in America (the Japanese market RC comes with throw-away wheels and tires) for $2000 less, I wonder if it would sell...

·
Registered
246 Posts
Hah! The curb protection of 17"s ain't much, so it has to be a really soft curb kiss.
In person the 17 and 18 rims were nearly identical size. But it was raining and cold so I may be off.
I didn't really like the looks of either tire, would like more rubber as in like a 16" wheel. I'm an old man so I'm used to seeing more of a full tire.
Here's a 17" Lexus wheel and a good tire mounted on my 1996 Hilux Surf. View attachment 3889
There is a bit more rubber on these ones!
The real question is, have you ever taken it to the beach and gone surfing? 🤔🤔😛

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
I'm getting a BRZ Limited with 18" wheel but I have to admit the 17" BRZ Premium wheels are stunning. I like that liquid metal look. I might just have to spring for a set of these for my winter wheels.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.