Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Toyota GR86 Limited MT
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently noticed my GR trim coming off a slight bit and wanted it fixed cause it is a new car and I expect the trim to be flush with the vehicle. Well I went to the dealer today to get it serviced and they did the worse possibly job at fixing the issue. It’s now securely mounted but it’s such an eye sore and if anything even further away from the body line. I contacted Toyota customer service today cause this Toyota dealership always has constant problems and I don’t know why I even bothered. Hopefully this will be rectified, I’m really worried about the paint. I can’t tell if it’s 3M tape or what but it’s bad. There’s the before and after below.
Automotive side-view mirror Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Automotive parking light

Automotive tire Hood Bumper Automotive design Automotive lighting

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Grille Automotive lighting

·
Registered
339 Posts
I'm sure it's just double sided tape. I'd take it off and redo it myself. Remove all the old tape and test the fit to see if the part isn't warped. If it is, it's up to you if you want to try to get it replaced or tweak it with a heat gun before reinstalling. As the saying goes, if you want something done right.... Plus, it would be quicker than probably even just driving to the dealer.

There's a lot to know working on cars today and a lot of money required to spend out for tools. It would take a real love for working on cars for someone competent to choose to be an auto tech today instead of getting into any of the other trades that pay much better, require less educational upkeep, have more prestige (such as it is, but at least most trade workers aren't regularly treated like criminals off the bat by customers), and are more future proof. Competent techs are rare.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Isn't that the accessory fender vent insert? You can just take the whole thing off. The dealership might not have put it in all the way before pressing down. Check the other side for comparison.
It is the accessory fender vent. I know I can take the whole thing off but it’s more of I paid for a package and it is faulty. The dealer didn’t bother taking it off, they just slapped some adhesive in it and smacked it together. It took them less then an hour and a half to “service” it. Depending on what Toyota customer service says come Thursday, I might just take them off myself. I honestly don’t really like them anyways.

·
Registered
2022 Ice Silver BRZ Limited manual.
1,099 Posts
It is the accessory fender vent. I know I can take the whole thing off but it’s more of I paid for a package and it is faulty. The dealer didn’t bother taking it off, they just slapped some adhesive in it and smacked it together. It took them less then an hour and a half to “service” it. Depending on what Toyota customer service says come Thursday, I might just take them off myself. I honestly don’t really like them anyways.
Not really. Those accessories literally get installed with 3m tape. There dealer installed them how they all get installed. It is possible they didnt prep the paint properly 1st though. If you want to be a pain in the neck, you can bring it back to the dealer. That will involve any number of neanderthals driving your car around to get it in and out of the shop just to slap a new piece of tape on. Or you can spend 2 minutes of your time to take it off, prep the area, add new tape and stick it back on. As an added bonus nobody drives your car and you get to feel accomplished for the day.

·
Registered
2022 GR86 Track Bred Premium MT
772 Posts
I ordered mine post-delivery. No local (San Diego) Toyota dealer had them in stock. Same with carpet floor mats. I was nervous I would F them up installing them, but they were idiot (me) proof.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not really. Those accessories literally get installed with 3m tape. There dealer installed them how they all get installed. It is possible they didnt prep the paint properly 1st though. If you want to be a pain in the neck, you can bring it back to the dealer. That will involve any number of neanderthals driving your car around to get it in and out of the shop just to slap a new piece of tape on. Or you can spend 2 minutes of your time to take it off, prep the area, add new tape and stick it back on. As an added bonus nobody drives your car and you get to feel accomplished for the day.
Yeah I’ll probably just take them off my self. I shouldnt have even bothered to be honest.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I ordered mine post-delivery. No local (San Diego) Toyota dealer had them in stock. Same with carpet floor mats. I was nervous I would F them up installing them, but they were idiot (me) proof.
Was it literally just 3M tape? No trim clips or anything? Thanks everybody for the replies.

·
Registered
22 Halo AT 86
106 Posts
i bought mine off of someone else here who took them off. Im sure it takes more than 2 min to take them off without breaking them ( if you plan to resell) or scratching the paint of your car. the last pic looks like they shoved a second piece of tape under there. fishing line, goo gone, and time are all youll need to remove them

it is just double sided tape, and odd angles. I can easily see them not being installed perfectly due to how you have to angle them as you install, and if you use good tape, itll stick immediately.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts