Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
The 2022 Subaru BRZ gets a new instrument cluster layout that's in the shape of the flat-four engine under the hood. Its likely on the GR86 as well but with some minor changes. I think its a cool tribute especially since this time around we get more power and torque than originally expected.
2022-subaru-brz-boxer-engine-instrument-cluster-dashboard-01.jpg

The gauges are also configurable.
2022-Subaru-BRZ-instrument-cluster-01.jpeg

2022-Subaru-BRZ-instrument-cluster-02.jpeg

Registered
The 2022 Subaru BRZ gets a new instrument cluster layout that's in the shape of the flat-four engine under the hood. Its likely on the GR86 as well but with some minor changes. I think its a cool tribute especially since this time around we get more power and torque than originally expected.
View attachment 899

View attachment 900
View attachment 901
Good eye 馃憗 Didn鈥檛 notice that. Makes a lot of sense especially with the 86鈥檚 logo. Hope when you start the 86鈥檚 engine it could show its boxer logo first as a welcome sign.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Good eye 馃憗 Didn鈥檛 notice that. Makes a lot of sense especially with the 86鈥檚 logo. Hope when you start the 86鈥檚 engine it could show its boxer logo first as a welcome sign.
Yeah it would be cool to see other boxer engine influenced design elements throughout.
But from the pics so far its just the instrument cluster.

Registered
I鈥檓 hoping the new 86 could include some other boxer engine influenced design elements like interior door handles, badge stitching on the seats, heads up display layout, rear view mirror shape, knobs and switches, key shape.

Registered
View attachment 899

View attachment 900
View attachment 901
That's quite the easter egg I didn't notice that either. It works really well for the instrument cluster layout.

Registered
View attachment 899

View attachment 900
View attachment 901
What I like about the new dash is that its simple and based around 3 colors, red, white and black, and its integrated all the components logically and well proportioned!

Simple always ages well, as does high contrast limited color palettes.

I think this subdued transition to all digital has been done very well, and is extremely easy to screw up because there are so many things you can do when you decide to go with all LCD.

My criticism is that I don't particularly like the 'dyno' chart being in there (even though it looks nice) and would of preferred a different meter like airflow from the MAF sensor, or something else that's not a fixed graph that will only ever indicate the base cars performance at a given rev. That said, I'm very pleased that I don't have to have that on any of my displays if I don't want to - user customisation is a good thing!

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
What I like about the new dash is that its simple and based around 3 colors, red, white and black, and its integrated all the components logically and well proportioned!

I think this subdued transition to all digital has been done very well, and is extremely easy to screw up because there are so many things you can do when you decide to go with all LCD.

My criticism is that I don't particularly like the 'dyno' chart being in there (even though it looks nice) and would of preferred a different meter like airflow from the MAF sensor, or something else that's not a fixed graph that will only ever indicate the base cars performance at a given rev. That said, I'm very pleased that I don't have to have that on any of my displays if I don't want to - user customisation is a good thing!
Good point.

Anything you hope to see them include in an STi version?
Being digital, I bet they can do something a bit cooler than usual, if the hardware allows.

Registered

It would've been such a miss if they went with a digitial screen and didn't allow us to change certain things.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
That's a cool bit of attention to detail! I just love that they've put an oil temp gauge on there which I think should be mandatory for any sort of performance car.
Welcome @VeeFource!
I agree and love how we get some numbers rather than 'H' on one side and 'C' on the other. Anything else you think Toyota/Subaru should include that's not seen here or in any other official photos?

Registered
That's a cool bit of attention to detail! I just love that they've put an oil temp gauge on there which I think should be mandatory for any sort of performance car.
Getting the specific temperature really is a nice touch for Toyota/Subaru to add. Especially as people eventually start adding mods.

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
Getting the specific temperature really is a nice touch for Toyota/Subaru to add. Especially as people eventually start adding mods.
I'm hoping this makes it easier to do some aftermarket OBD hack.

Registered
The new instrument cluster design looks awesome. Also the mods are cool.
I strongly agree. They got it right with the Boxer engine layout. Hope the 86鈥檚 new instrument cluster will be amazing too, and be different from the BRZ鈥檚.

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
I strongly agree. They got it right with the Boxer engine layout. Hope the 86鈥檚 new instrument cluster will be amazing too, and be different from the BRZ鈥檚.
Yeah, now what's left is wondering how it'll look in the GR86. I hope its nothing more than different font, colors, etc.

Registered
Yeah, now what's left is wondering how it'll look in the GR86. I hope its nothing more than different font, colors, etc.
Its doubtful that it would be any different, perhaps the start-up animation..?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts