Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to gather your ideas on what's the most efficient way to reduce the overall weight of the car, since that's one of the most potent ways to increase performance. Some mods might reduce weight by a lot but are expensive to execute, other mods might be cheap but reduce less weight.

The first thing I thought of was switching the seats for aftermarket bucket seats. I read in the other big forum that the GT86 driver seat weighs 43.6 lbs and the passenger seat weighs 39.2 lbs. I assume that the seats in the 2nd gen cars are similar. Then I've checked the weight of some Bride bucket seats and you can get as low as 14 lbs per seat, so that's a reduction of ~55 lbs with little effort.

What are your suggestions for even more weight reduction?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'd like to gather your ideas on what's the most efficient way to reduce the overall weight of the car, since that's one of the most potent ways to increase performance. Some mods might reduce weight by a lot but are expensive to execute, other mods might be cheap but reduce less weight.

The first thing I thought of was switching the seats for aftermarket bucket seats. I read in the other big forum that the GT86 driver seat weighs 43.6 lbs and the passenger seat weighs 39.2 lbs. I assume that the seats in the 2nd gen cars are similar. Then I've checked the weight of some Bride bucket seats and you can get as low as 14 lbs per seat, so that's a reduction of ~55 lbs with little effort.

GR seats are a little lighter than previous gen. Washer fluid is definitely the cheapest way to reduce weight. I’d like to reduce weight as well but it’s difficult to lose a significant amount. I would want to lose it where it matters most which is at the extremities of the car and in the front. Lightweight battery for summer conditions might be a relatively cheap weight reduction. Lightweight header might give some more net power as well as weight reduction. I’d be interested in other ideas as well!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
GR seats are a little lighter than previous gen. Washer fluid is definitely the cheapest way to reduce weight. I’d like to reduce weight as well but it’s difficult to lose a significant amount. I would want to lose it where it matters most which is at the extremities of the car and in the front. Lightweight battery for summer conditions might be a relatively cheap weight reduction. Lightweight header might give some more net power as well as weight reduction. I’d be interested in other ideas as well!
Yeah, I get the sentiment to save weight primarily at the front, since the car is already heavier at the front by default and decreasing weight at the rear might make the car more tail-happy. Maybe lightweight wheels are a good option. You have 4 of them, so if each wheel loses 5 lbs, that's already significant.

·
Registered
2022 GR86 MT Neptune
41 Posts
What's your purpose? Primarily daily driver, weekend canyons, track? How much amenities do you want? Do you need back seats?

Oh, and sound generator can go of course! 😁

·
Registered
52 Posts
Well, if you want to save weight by replacing OEM parts with high quality aftermarket options… TWS T66-F in 18x8 +44 with the stock 215/40/R18 tyres will save you about 7lbs per corner. (Total 28lbs)

Then an AP Racing BBK with 298mm size rotors will save you 20lbs

Then add a Fujitsubo Authorise RM+c single outlet titanium exhaust to save another 25lbs

73 pounds saved and all it took was a lot of money… but no sacrifice to comfort… add some nice bucket seats and you are over 100lbs saved quite easily

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
2007 Honda Civic Si + 2022 BRZ
13 Posts

You're ignoring the weight of the seat rails.

My Kawai Works rails are maybe 15-20lbs. My Recaro RSGK is 10lbs. So we are talking 25-30lbs for a very lightweight setup. A smaller savings although still substantial if both seats are replaced.

Car Plant Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
13 Posts
looks likes there's plenty of room for those seats to - good fit
Just make sure you don't have a waist size larger than 33. I'm a 33 and these are tight. My Bride Zieg in my other car is the same. Given the RSGK is a Recaro made for the Japanese market (not actively sold in the U.S unless imported), my assertion is that Japanese seats are built to a maximum 33 waist lol.

·
Registered
22 Trueno Blue
37 Posts
You're ignoring the weight of the seat rails.

My Kawai Works rails are maybe 15-20lbs. My Recaro RSGK is 10lbs. So we are talking 25-30lbs for a very lightweight setup. A smaller savings although still substantial if both seats are replaced.

View attachment 3629

I was going to point that out and everyone always forgot about the rails.
Racing seat is better in every way to an oem seats in a sportscar, unless you have chosen a wrong size for your body type. The only issue would be the in/outgress of the car.

My question to you is if anyone look into incoporating the one button slide forward rail into any race seats?
or, if the stock Oem can be retained and bolting the fixed seat mount on top of it?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I was going to point that out and everyone always forgot about the rails.
Racing seat is better in every way to an oem seats in a sportscar, unless you have chosen a wrong size for your body type. The only issue would be the in/outgress of the car.

My question to you is if anyone look into incoporating the one button slide forward rail into any race seats?
or, if the stock Oem can be retained and bolting the fixed seat mount on top of it?
I have pictures of the OEM seat rails, but not on my work computer. Not sure if it would be helpful to anyone. But they are basically a side mount design rather than a bottom mount setup. I didn't have a 1st gen twin, but I believe it's quite similar to what the 1st gen was.

That aside, they do not look all that simple to remove from the seat (hard to reach bolts). I would incorporate any seat rail that works well. I have a dual locker design (there are locks on each side that need to be lifted. Not a single pull up similar to OE design) which I'm not a huge fan.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Lighter wheels are the best. You could also get a lightweight battery. I suppose you could remove quite a lot by various means but would you not then have to adjust the suspension to compensate?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just make sure you don't have a waist size larger than 33. I'm a 33 and these are tight. My Bride Zieg in my other car is the same. Given the RSGK is a Recaro made for the Japanese market (not actively sold in the U.S unless imported), my assertion is that Japanese seats are built to a maximum 33 waist lol.
I am 36" so will have to look for a larger seat.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Adjustable fore/aft?
Had to google "Fore/aft". But I had a feeling it was what it is lol.

Seat is on sliders, so it can adjust forward and backward. There are slots on where it attaches to the floor mount (maybe 15mm) which will allow you some side to side adjustment pending what the car allows for fitment. Lastly, there are 3 slots on the front of the side mounts and 4 on the rear. However, the plastic covers on the harness openings of the seat obstruct the rear slots if you try to use the lowest setting. My current settings of 2/3 for front and 2/4 for rear make the car difficult to drive if below 6'. Unless you're comfortable not having much view of the hood etc.

·
Registered
2018 Fiesta ST, 2019 Shelby GT350R
197 Posts
Had to google "Fore/aft". But I had a feeling it was what it is lol.

Seat is on sliders, so it can adjust forward and backward. There are slots on where it attaches to the floor mount (maybe 15mm) which will allow you some side to side adjustment pending what the car allows for fitment. Lastly, there are 3 slots on the front of the side mounts and 4 on the rear. However, the plastic covers on the harness openings of the seat obstruct the rear slots if you try to use the lowest setting. My current settings of 2/3 for front and 2/4 for rear make the car difficult to drive if below 6'. Unless you're comfortable not having much view of the hood etc.
Yeah, sorry retired Navy, so nautical crap still is a part of my vocabulary..... Thanks for the info.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts