Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
41 - 60 of 109 Posts
Discussion starter · #42 ·
Just installed a CSG Touring 86 Competition Exhaust System by MXP, so far so good, just the way I would have expected the car to sound from the factory. No drone, deeper tone, and a bit louder than stock with normal driving... all factory upstream parts. Going to install a JDL UEL header in another couple of weeks... more to come.

What do you consider "professional" installation. I've had shops do mine before and it's always been a mess.
There is a muffler shop near my house in DFW that can make custom exhausts and have been doing it for decades. Bolting on and aligning an off the shelf exhaust is a cake walk for them, so it’s always installed, aligned, and tightened down perfectly.

Just installed a CSG Touring 86 Competition Exhaust System by MXP, so far so good, just the way I would have expected the car to sound from the factory. No drone, deeper tone, and a bit louder than stock with normal driving... all factory upstream parts. Going to install a JDL UEL header in another couple of weeks... more to come.
Cost? Sound clips?

Anyone have experience with the Tomei Expreme TI type 80 catback? Single exit, super light weight, loud (AF?). Just over $1k. Curious about this set-up.

There is a dude on youtube that has it. It was loud and raspy with just that catback. Then he added catless headers, over pipe and front pipe. Car sounds like an airplane taking off while barely moving. Exhaust is subjective, so I guess it depends what you like.

There is a dude on youtube that has it. It was loud and raspy with just that catback. Then he added catless headers, over pipe and front pipe. Car sounds like an airplane taking off while barely moving. Exhaust is subjective, so I guess it depends what you like.
It's that Ben guy, right? Holy crap, it's incredibly loud. If you want a car to wake the dead, his would be a strong candidate.

Put 50 miles on my Borla yesterday after getting it installed and really enjoying it. Just the right amount of deeper tone and increased volume where you can now hear the exhaust and it sounds good, but it's not too loud and obnoxious where you can't daily drive it or cruise at 80-100mph on the highway with no drone issues, etc.

It's easy to screw up an aftermarket 4 banger exhaust by engaging ricer mode IMHO, glad this Borla doesn't.

It's that Ben guy, right? Holy crap, it's incredibly loud. If you want a car to wake the dead, his would be a strong candidate.

Put 50 miles on my Borla yesterday after getting it installed and really enjoying it. Just the right amount of deeper tone and increased volume where you can now hear the exhaust and it sounds good, but it's not too loud and obnoxious where you can't daily drive it or cruise at 80-100mph on the highway with no drone issues, etc.

It's easy to screw up an aftermarket 4 banger exhaust by engaging ricer mode IMHO, glad this Borla doesn't.
My biggest fear is engaging ricer mode. I need to be very careful in choosing my exhaust. AWE sounds the best so far, but need more sound clips. Still undecided on Tomei, price seems good, and I like the idea of the weight savings(by the way, anyone have info on how much the weight savings are compared to the GR/BRZ exhaust?).

It appears to me that getting an exhaust is a compromise in sound. Great when your on throttle but no real proof of no drone at cruising speeds. Further all these after-market companies always make these claims of no drone.The other aspect is potential loss of power. Just seems like a lot of money to spend. I would be more prone to get a factory developed TRD exhaust that has been properly engineered.

My biggest fear is engaging ricer mode. I need to be very careful in choosing my exhaust. AWE sounds the best so far, but need more sound clips. Still undecided on Tomei, price seems good, and I like the idea of the weight savings(by the way, anyone have info on how much the weight savings are compared to the GR/BRZ exhaust?).
I have the Perrin 3.0. If you can handle the drone around 2k-3k, it's a great sounding exhaust. It mutes all the high tones, and makes the car sound more mature (for a 2 door sports coupe)

I have the Perrin 3.0. If you can handle the drone around 2k-3k, it's a great sounding exhaust. It mutes all the high tones, and makes the car sound more mature (for a 2 door sports coupe)
Again-As I said its a sound compromise that you are happy to make. To me if you are driving around town between 30 to 40 MPH(which you might do quite often in traffic), that drone would drive me crazy. But that's me.
The other point about video's. A lot of them you are viewing and hearing from outside the car. That means this is what the general public hears. What you hear inside is not the same.

The only ones I think I'd like atm are the Greddy SP and the Invidia Q300. I bought the Perrin 2.5" resonated, and while the tone/loudness is on point for exactly what I want, it is droney as hell from about 22-2800rpm, so I'm going to have to add a j-pipe to cancel the drone in that range which is pretty annoying tbh. Thankfully it's not really hard or expensive, but I'd def go for an exhaust without that issue.
do you have header? my 2.5 perrin from gen 1 is absolutely zero drone and civilized.

Again-As I said its a sound compromise that you are happy to make. To me if you are driving around town between 30 to 40 MPH(which you might do quite often in traffic), that drone would drive me crazy. But that's me.
The other point about video's. A lot of them you are viewing and hearing from outside the car. That means this is what the general public hears. What you hear inside is not the same.
I'm driving around town at 1.5k most of the time. Drone is negligible there.

41 - 60 of 109 Posts