Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time to put my GR86 into winter storage and I am planning to place a battery maintainer charger on the vehicle. I am sure some owners have already done this some a few questions:

-The red plastic cover on the positive battery terminal will not remove easily. Has anyone found a way to remove it without damaging or cracking the plastic?

-Are there any recommended brands or models of battery maintainer units that work well on the GR86/BRZ vehicles?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Time to put my GR86 into winter storage and I am planning to place a battery maintainer charger on the vehicle. I am sure some owners have already done this some a few questions:

-The red plastic cover on the positive battery terminal will not remove easily. Has anyone found a way to remove it without damaging or cracking the plastic?

-Are there any recommended brands or models of battery maintainer units that work well on the GR86/BRZ vehicles?
Yuasa battery makes a trickle charger/maintainer that has a three stage cycle, unlike the Battery Tender brand which has a two stage. I may have the exact configuration incorrect, but the Yuasa brand was the better technology.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
I've had good experiences with the Battery Tender Jr. I'm curious about @Mcgiiver's recommendation of Yuasa. I know Yuasa makes the best motorcycle batteries.

Regarding the red plastic positive terminal cover, I think I just popped it up.

Reactions: BRZerker

·
Registered
201 Posts

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
I use CTEK MXS* and a NOCO (5 total). The CTEK's came highly regarded for all of my euro cars - and they OEM for lots of factory Branded chargers (BMW, etc)

Reactions: Ritter

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm pretty sure Yuasa isn't making the charger, it is most likely a rebranded version from another company. I don't recognize it though, so not sure what company, and can't say with any confidence that they are good or bad.

That being said, CTEK and Noco are well regarded in the enthusiast communities for sure. I've used battery tenders (the original 1.25 A - both are over 20 years old) for years as well, but they are a simple float charger. Certainly fine for maintaining charge, but they don't have the complex features of the modern CTEK and Nocos...

·
Registered
‘22 GR86 Trueno base 6AT
69 Posts
I use two different CTEK branded as Porsche models. The older style is simple, trickle charger. I keep on the 993 as only drive it once or twice a week.
The other one would be for the Macan GTS if it sat for more than a week (hmmm I just remember going away for 1.5 wk in August and didnt put it on but no issues)
but I drive the GTS nearly daily so never a problem.
wife drives the GR86 every day, so it also has no issues.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts