Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There are no suspension differences, but here are the list of things that you get with the Premium for your extra $2600 that the base model will not have:

Duckbill spoiler
Heated Seats
Leather and Alcantara Seats
Alcantara Dash cluster shroud and Alcantara door panel areas
Aluminum sport pedals
Passenger seatback pocket
Adaptive front lighting system
18” matte black alloy wheels
Illuminated vanity mirrors on sun visors
8 speakers
Blind spot alert with cross traffic
GVWR 3748 (66 lbs heavier than base model)
Michelin PS4 summer tires 215/40/18​
Another member wrote this on one of my other posts & it got me thinking that the Base GR86 models are a much better overall car than the Premium versions. Here are my reasons why & figured it would be a good discussion topic: (Premium model cons)

Rear duckbill spoiler (Actually pretty cool & want one for my Base model)
Heated Seats (Extra weight & not needed in warm climates)
Leather & Alcantara Seats (Extra weight, cloth seats are lighter)
Alcantara Dash cluster shroud & door panel areas (Extra weight)
Aluminum sport pedals (Extra weight, rubber ones work the same)
Passenger seatback pocket (never use seat back pockets)
Adaptive front lighting system (not needed LED's are bright enough)
18” matte black alloy wheels (17's offer more side wall for the tire. 18's are better for big brakes though)
Illuminated vanity mirrors on sun visors (Extra weight, I'm too ugly anyways)
8 speakers (Extra weight, 6 speakers should sound fine)
Blind spot alert with cross traffic (WTF is this? Never knew I needed it?)
Michelin PS4 summer tires 215/40/18 (wider stickier aftermarket tires & stock 17's cheaper for daily driving)
Heavier than base model (Extra weight = less mpg)
More expensive than base model ($2,600.00 less in your wallet)

I initially wanted a Premium 6MT when I first saw the GR86 but after weighing all the options I concluded that the Base is better for me. Premiums will probably have a better resale value in the future who knows? If there are more differences between models please add to the list. Ok gals & guys discuss away!

thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2022 Subaru BRZ, WR Blue Pearl
1,311 Posts
Another member wrote this on one of my other posts & it got me thinking that the Base GR86 models are a much better overall car than the Premium versions. Here are my reasons why & figured it would be a good discussion topic: (Premium model cons)

18” matte black alloy wheels (17's offer more side wall for the tire. 18' are better for big brakes though)
Michelin PS4 summer tires 215/40/18 (wider stickier aftermarket tires & stock 17's cheaper for daily driving)

I initially wanted a Premium 6MT when I first saw the GR86 but after weighing all the options I concluded that the Base is better for me. Premiums will probably have a better resale value in the future who knows? If there are more differences between models please add to the list. Ok gals & guys discuss away!

thanks!
I'd add that I like the GR86 base cloth seats better because of the unique design of the emboss. Not your average cloth seats.

That said its a nicer place inside with the leather/alcantara trim, and depending on the colour you pick, black rims can look amazing considering the other little black bits they have.

·
Registered
51 Posts
All good points, RylisPro. I have a base GR86 coming. The main motivation for me is the unattractive duckbill spoiler and black wheels on the Premium but I’m also drawn to light, simple cars, I love cloth seats, and none of the extras on the Premium draw me in. That said, I will add heated seats and fit 18-inch wheels and PS4 tires (I’ll use the stock 17-inch wheels for winter wheels).

·
Registered
54 Posts
I wonder what the weight difference actually is. For the Alcantara bits it's surely either minimal or even lighter than simple cloth. The heated seats I could do without even though we have pretty cold winters here, but it ain't the car I am going to hop in in freezing cold anyway. And we don't get the duckbill spoiler here, which is good. I tend to lean towards the premium, mostly because the interior bits are usually kind of PITA to upgrade.

·
Super Moderator
1,311 Posts
I wonder what the weight difference actually is. For the Alcantara bits it's surely either minimal or even lighter than simple cloth. The heated seats I could do without even though we have pretty cold winters here, but it ain't the car I am going to hop in in freezing cold anyway. And we don't get the duckbill spoiler here, which is good. I tend to lean towards the premium, mostly because the interior bits are usually kind of PITA to upgrade.
I think the additional two speakers, the leather on the (4) seats, trim, and the aluminium peddles and 2 front heating element are pretty much what makes up the entire difference in weight between the specs. Alcantara is pretty much the same weight as the cloth.

·
Registered
In line for a 22 Neptune Blue GR86 Manual
135 Posts

18” matte black alloy wheels (17's offer more side wall for the tire. 18's are better for big brakes though)

thanks!
Depends on your use, because for me personally I think the premium is a better deal. Coming from the gen 1, MPS4 tires, black wheels and a duckbill is something I'd absolutely want (as I had it last time and just want to continue the look because I'm a fan of it), and those things alone make the price disparity worth it for me.

Everything else is a nice bonus for me. If you plan to track and race the car, then yes most definitely the base is better. But for me, daily driving and not ever going to a track, all the QOL improvements of the premium are worth it for me. Even though I live in CA I really want the heated seats (Im anemic so I get cold very easily), the aluminum pedals just look better and it would feel weird having rubber pedals after having the aluminums for so long (in my opinion), more speakers, leather trimmed seats,adaptive headlights are all nice bonuses that make dailying the car more livable.

Again, all my opinion, but for your average driver who won't ever see a track the weight difference is negligible and will go unnoticed.

Good post OP, curious to see what others have to say.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The only thing i don't like on premium is the duckbill,but we don't get it in Europe so premium seems like the better choice.Alcantara is pretty nice and heated seats for cold winter sounds good,never had one of those!I do like the turning lights ,i don't care for the 8 speakers though, aluminium sport pedals is a nice touch!I do prefer a 17inch wheel but not on primacys.So for me it is better the 18inch ,it's a nice wheel and can be repainted if i want to or to be sold easier for an aftermarket wheel!But in my country the extra parts of the premium may sent the price 5000-6000€ more because of the tax so then the base seems like the logical choice!

·
Registered
405 Posts
I think you can make a strong case for either trim level, depending on what you think is important. I think we can probably all agree that Toyota deserves credit for making the mechanical bits the same on either trim, from the suspension to the LSD. Too many companies cheap out on the base trim to force you to go to the more expensive trim to get the good stuff that counts.

·
Registered
2015 Toyota GT86
107 Posts
^^^Absolutely right. Ultimately whatever you go for you get all the important bits, its just those little extras for those that want them. I'm in the Premium camp, I want the fancy seats, the alcantara, the 18s and the ducktail but if it wasn't available it wouldn't have stopped me buying the car. There is no right or wrong answer, go with what suits you best.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I think I would be very happy with either trim. My motivation for the higher trim level was that I will be driving this car in the winter and heated seats will be welcome. I'm also a fan of the steering-responsive servo headlights. Again, in winter the morning and evening drivetimes occur in darkness, and I live in a rural area with a lot of curving roads and the potential for deer strikes. If the headlights can give me a split-second earlier warning, I'll take it.

I do agree that most of the other gadgets that come with the upper trim level aren't necessary and just add complexity and weight. Unfortunately we aren't able to just pick and choose from the complete feature menu a la carte.

Reactions: Kushkaki

·
Registered
411 Posts
Am I the only one who hates alcantara? I don't think it looks all that fancy to begin with, but on any surface that sees use, it quickly turns disgusting and worn. I do like the stripe on those seats, but there's always stitching my own in or fabric paint if I cared enough.
I also want the 17s to use them for winter tires and I can decide on my (lighter) summer set for cheaper than the factory upgrade.
The bigger spoiler would look a lot better to me if it were one-piece and I suspect it hurts mileage a little. Also, unless the high speed lift is as bad as my 240 and 260Zs (which it can't possibly be), I won't probably ever drive fast enough to need the downforce.
I live in New England, but never had a desire for heated seats since cars warm up so quickly. Even if I wanted to use the heaters, I don't want the weight or the electrical load (if I actually used them) as they put garden tractor batteries in cars today that die often enough and I also like having alternators last over 200k miles. Cooled seats I'd maybe go for. Upgraded headlights are cool, but not worth the price to me.
That's obviously just my rationale, but we all have our own likes and dislikes. I hate most non-performance options and anything that works automatically beyond the ECU controlling the engine (I'm fine doing without manual chokes and ignition timing adjustment), but I'm a sunroof guy. A lot of people never use them and see them only for the weight and potential leaks. I've never had that issue in 800k+ miles of sunroof cars, but I'm sure plenty of people have had heated seats that didn't beat up their electrical systems, either. Either way, compared to all the other angry face isolation suppositories on the market, these cars are pretty austere in either trim.

·
Registered
947 Posts
@Duchess I also don't think I like the look of Alcantara / Ultrasuede, and I agree that I don't understand the appeal of it as a "luxury" or "high end" material. If it becomes objectionable to maintain in my car, I will plan to remove it were feasible and replace with the base trim pieces. The one place I think it will be beneficial is the top of the instrument cluster pod, to hopefully prevent reflection onto the windshield.

Reactions: 8GR6 and Duchess

·
Registered
44 Posts

thanks!
The only thing I think they wasted on the Premium Model was putting heated seats in it. It would probably bring the price down quite a bit. The only thing I think they should've done was just add nicer materials.

·
Super Moderator
1,311 Posts
Am I the only one who hates alcantara? I don't think it looks all that fancy to begin with, but on any surface that sees use, it quickly turns disgusting and worn. I do like the stripe on those seats, but there's always stitching my own in or fabric paint if I cared enough.
I also want the 17s to use them for winter tires and I can decide on my (lighter) summer set for cheaper than the factory upgrade.
The bigger spoiler would look a lot better to me if it were one-piece and I suspect it hurts mileage a little. Also, unless the high speed lift is as bad as my 240 and 260Zs (which it can't possibly be), I won't probably ever drive fast enough to need the downforce.
I live in New England, but never had a desire for heated seats since cars warm up so quickly. Even if I wanted to use the heaters, I don't want the weight or the electrical load (if I actually used them) as they put garden tractor batteries in cars today that die often enough and I also like having alternators last over 200k miles. Cooled seats I'd maybe go for. Upgraded headlights are cool, but not worth the price to me.
That's obviously just my rationale, but we all have our own likes and dislikes. I hate most non-performance options and anything that works automatically beyond the ECU controlling the engine (I'm fine doing without manual chokes and ignition timing adjustment), but I'm a sunroof guy. A lot of people never use them and see them only for the weight and potential leaks. I've never had that issue in 800k+ miles of sunroof cars, but I'm sure plenty of people have had heated seats that didn't beat up their electrical systems, either. Either way, compared to all the other angry face isolation suppositories on the market, these cars are pretty austere in either trim.
I never had a problem with wear after 8 years owning my 86. Its only one data point, but yeah - it performed well for me.

I did get a fabric protection done on it just after I bought the car, so maybe it needs that.

·
Registered
160 Posts

thanks!
Your pros will be somebody else’s cons and vice versa.

Personally, the premium takes it hands down. The alcantara interior (which reminds me of a Lotus), the extra speakers plus upgraded head unit (because better sound is always good), the adaptive headlights (more premium feel), duckbill spoiler (for just an added touch of distinction), and honestly, the blind spot monitoring, which I’m probably the most excited about (I don’t really care for electronic assistance systems, but of all of them, I find this the most useful). I’d much prefer if the wheels were 17s with PS4Ss, but it’s either 17s with Primacies or 18s with PS4s; I’d always choose the PS4s over the Primacies. Either way, I still plan to move down to 17x9s in the future, both for daily and autocross/track, but the added touches on the premium make it worth it to me. The only “argument” I’d have against your added weight position is that if you really care about weight and performance (which I do as well), you’ll likely end up removing the stock seats and saving weight elsewhere wherever you can. If it really ends up as a track car, you’d be stripping the interior anyway, and even going as far as removing the AC, radio/speakers, etc. So as a daily/weekend car, I definitely feel like the premium is worth the added cost. But again, to each their own. I still really appreciate that the base version is more just an optional version than a stripped down trim.

·
Registered
947 Posts
"Added lightness" at lower cost. :cool:

Reactions: Hooster

·
Registered
2 Posts
I went base because I loathe leather seats, never use the heated seats on my GTI, etc. Would like the adaptive headlights, as that is a nice feature, but not worth the extra money, and definitely not worth dealing with leather. Do wish they offered something other than summer tires on delivery. Gonna be a rough ride home when it is delivered in the typical Wisconsin February winter.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
I think the premium is worth the upgrades costs wise, but nothing in the premium package is of interest to me so I went with base. I'm not a fan of the spoiler and I am putting some bbs wheels on day one so no reason to get the premium.

·
Registered
58 Posts
As it would be my second car, base all the way for me. My Touareg has heated seats and adaptive headlights for nasty weather driving. Lighter and cheaper and don't love black wheels. Duckbill looked kinda neat at first but has not grown on me. I've never seen Alcantara age very well and I like the hidden GR in the base seats. Maybe the only thing that tempts me out the Premium is nicer rubber, but then I think it might be more fun to have street tires be less grippy? I think Matt Farah said as much in his review.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts