Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner

Would you accept 17 inch wheels on the base GR 86 if it cost less.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although this forum is a magnet for those who will modify their cars for increased track performance, there is a large niche of people who will use their cars on a day-to-day basis.

Many of us want the base car to be as priced as economically as possible.

I hope that Toyota offers wheels on the base model with a maximum diameter of 17 inches. The 18-inch wheels could be an at-cost option.

This would translate into better ride quality on less than perfect roads, savings on the initial price of the car, and save on tyres.

Another benefit is that kissing the kerb whilst parking is less risky as the tyre profile increases.

I expect the first 20 replies to disagree.

·
Registered
1 Posts
base version has 17 inch wheels.
I'll go for the 18s although i don't like the aesthetics of the premium toyota wheels.

·
Super Moderator
237 Posts
base version has 17 inch wheels.
I'll go for the 18s although i don't like the aesthetics of the premium toyota wheels.
I think @David61 is probably talking specifically about the Australian GR86.

We are yet to hear about the specifications, and apparently we wont hear about them (what specs we will get) until next month, or even as late as nov/dec.

·
Registered
230 Posts
The 17 inch wheels are offered on the base GR86 and the Premium version of the BRZ. You also get the Michelin Primacy tires with both cars. I may have mentioned before that if needed you can restore much or most of the grip going to Michelin Pilot Sport 4's in 17 inch size. A trade off perhaps but as been said a better ride than the 18" wheel/tire combination due to the taller side wall. Also the net savings would still be a 1000 or so.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So do we know if the premium wheels are forged or not? I saw some conflicting info on that. The wheel weight would be a big factor in deciding between the two.

·
Super Moderator
237 Posts
So do we know if the premium wheels are forged or not? I saw some conflicting info on that. The wheel weight would be a big factor in deciding between the two.
They are not forged.

Toyota USA initially put out the incorrect information.

There are forged factory options in Japan, not sure if anyone else will get them straight away.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts