Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi there.

Have you wondered what other car you will bet on if you do not decide to buy the GR86 in the end? Due to, for example, too high purchase cost, poor press or mixed feelings after a test drive. For me it will be: Hyundai i30 Fastback N Performance facelift.

·
Registered
4 Posts
For me it's either a Mazda MX-5 (ND2) or BMW 2-series (G42, the one that will debut very soon).
The ND2 is viable, as it will be a second car for me, but I see how the lack of rear seats will be a deal-breaker for some.

I'm aiming for a low-weight car, so in truth, the MX-5 is the only proper (reasonable) alternative to the GR86...

·
Registered
72 Posts
GR Corolla would be my next choice as it would be a full in house Toyota project with a manual and 4 doors for my kids. I just chose the 86 because of former ownership and wanting a real sports coupe

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi there.

Have you wondered what other car you will bet on if you do not decide to buy the GR86 in the end? Due to, for example, too high purchase cost, poor press or mixed feelings after a test drive. For me it will be: Hyundai i30 Fastback N Performance facelift.

Probably an m2 competition, it's the only other car that interests me and the next generation of the 2 series and m2 are probably going to lose the mechanical handbrake, which for me is a huge deal breaker. I know they are very different cars with a big price difference that if the gr86 ends up costing much more than the last generation, I can find an m2 comp for less (my country has insane displacement and emissions taxes). The mx5 is cool but I don't really like convertibles.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was going to buy a Mazda MX-5 IV (ND2) but the fiancée did not approve the purchase.

Corolla GR, if it is AWD and turbocharged, will be an interesting and universal car.

The problem with BMW is that each new generation is getting heavier and heavier, although they have a lot of power.

If I cannot afford to buy the selected car, the last resort will be to buy this baby:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi. It looks like I will not be buying the GR86 after all. I wish all future owners of this car fruitful price negotiations and joyful ownership. Thank you for the nice exchange of messages.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes.

I have 100% of the amount to be paid for the i20N Performance with all options on my account, so it is a stress-free choice.

The GR86 Premium will be in my country at least $ 13,500 more expensive. The car has comparable performance and after an investment of $ 2,500 (larger IC, downpipe with a sports catalyst and custom tune) clearly more powerfull. Of course, the FWD is less fun, but something for something if you know what i mean.

The price difference will cover my honeymoon to North America - I'm getting married next year. I`m going to change my car in early spring 2023. Thinking sensibly, I Cannot afford the GR86.

Best regards.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yes.

I have 100% of the amount to be paid for the i20N Performance with all options on my account, so it is a stress-free choice.

The GR86 Premium will be in my country at least $ 13,500 more expensive. The car has comparable performance and after an investment of $ 2,500 (larger IC, downpipe with a sports catalyst and custom tune) clearly more powerfull. Of course, the FWD is less fun, but something for something if you know what i mean.

The price difference will cover my honeymoon to North America - I'm getting married next year. I`m going to change my car in early spring 2023. Thinking sensibly, I Cannot afford the GR86.

Best regards.

Congrats on your engagement, and I hope you have a wonderful honeymoon. Wish you the best moving forward.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes.

Best regards.
What about the gr yaris? Is too expensive there? Because it has a smaller engine I would assume it would be cheaper than the gr86

·
Registered
4 Posts
What about the gr yaris? Is too expensive there? Because it has a smaller engine I would assume it would be cheaper than the gr86
It's something like 50% more expensive than the Hyundai. I hope Toyota plays it right in Poland and accepts a lower margin on the GR 86, or people might cross-shop to other cars. If they go completely bananas and just put the extra tax for higher displacement on the consumer, then a 2.0 Cayman might become not so crazy an option, at least looking at the list price.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Too expensive, too small - besides, it has not been available in my country for several months.

It's something like 50% more expensive than the Hyundai. I hope Toyota plays it right in Poland and accepts a lower margin on the GR 86, or people might cross-shop to other cars. If they go completely bananas and just put the extra tax for higher displacement on the consumer, then a 2.0 Cayman might become not so crazy an option, at least looking at the list price.
Yes, 145% of the price of a fully equipped i20N.

There is still, let's say, a 20% chance that I will buy the GR86. I'll know at the end of the year.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Too expensive, too small - besides, it has not been available in my country for several months.

Yes, 145% of the price of a fully equipped i20N.

There is still, let's say, a 20% chance that I will buy the GR86. I'll know at the end of the year.
Tōge, there's a new batch in Poland of the GR Yaris, just FYI.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Three or four weeks ago when I asked my dealer it was sold out. Anyway, I plan to order the car in late winter 2023.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had no idea it was so expensive over there. Here in Portugal is only 2000€ more expensive than 1st gen 86

1 - 20 of 34 Posts