Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I love the sounds a noise level of this exhaust how it is driving around. So if you're on the fence about this exhaust maybe this will help.

The current problem I'm having is the cold start is just a little too much. If I'm leaving work at the same time someone else is, I have to hold the throttle at an extra ~500rpm so I don't look like I'm 20years old with a bit of a ricer. I have clients generally in the 45yo, range just trying to be somewhat responsible. The sound on a cold start also isn't a great one* just loud. It's tough because after 30 seconds it's perfect.

My coming problem is I doubt I'll be able to upgrade anymore exhaust for fear of it getting even louder. I'm not opposed to a good exhaust noise, just don't like being annoying. I'm 32 deciding if I should make a change.

· Registered
'22 WR Blue
616 Posts
I'm also 32 with this exhaust. I leave for work at 6am and I've started to feel bad for the neighbors but no one has complained yet. Cold starts are just really really bad, unbearable, so I'm debating on getting ECUTek just to fix it. While there is no direct option to have "quiet start" a tuner could edit the timing tables to not have the insane valve overlap at cold start.

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm also 32 with this exhaust. I leave for work at 6am and I've started to feel bad for the neighbors but no one has complained yet. Cold starts are just really really bad, unbearable, so I'm debating on getting ECUTek just to fix it. While there is no direct option to have "quiet start" a tuner could edit the timing tables to not have the insane valve overlap at cold start.
Hope.

Yea two days I leave early before 430am... luckily my garage faces a highway behind my condo so I doubt many hear it.

· Registered
2022 Subaru BRZ MT
66 Posts
I was curious about this so I did email Delicious tuning and the response there was NO cold start deletes. So don’t bet on it

· Registered
2022 Trueno Blue 6MT GR86
337 Posts
I'm sure someone would be willing to trade exhausts if you would like something a little more tamer than the AWE. I mean I'm not saying me but I'm not not saying me...🤣🤣

Congrats on the AWE though, I know a lot of people have backed out of their orders due to length of making them

· Registered
2023 BRZ Limited 6MT - WR Blue Pearl
931 Posts
I think it's important to remind you that unless you're sticking with stock exhaust... then all exhausts are about the same with the cold-starts. The reason I stuck with the AWE is because in reality I love the AWE at ALL OTHER TIMES... except for literally 10 seconds in the morning.

Maybe one day I'll get the ECUTek and it'll all be gone either way, so I'm not too worried about it.

· Registered
148 Posts
I've been sticking with a quiet exhaust (Perrin 2.5" resonated) exactly because of the cold starts. This exhaust is about as neighbor-friendly as it gets (neighbors are still friendly/wave to me), but if I did go with a louder exhaust, I was planning on killing cold starts using something like this:

Alternatively you can eliminate cold starts through an ECU tune which also works great. I had an OFT on my 1st gen and it was great at quieting cold starts.

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think it's important to remind you that unless you're sticking with stock exhaust... then all exhausts are about the same with the cold-starts. The reason I stuck with the AWE is because in reality I love the AWE at ALL OTHER TIMES... except for literally 10 seconds in the morning.

Maybe one day I'll get the ECUTek and it'll all be gone either way, so I'm not too worried about it.
You think they are the same? A q300 (something like that) on my frs was so much quieter. This isn't a quiet one lol

· Registered
2023 Neptune Blue GR86 Premium 6MT
111 Posts
One of the main reasons why I didn't end up with the AWE Touring. I instead went with the Corsa catback because while it might sound 90% as good as the AWE, it's quieter which will leave more room for sound when I decide to put UEL headers on.

Reactions: Jzam86

· Registered
2022 GR86 Premium AT Trueno Blue
816 Posts
I've been sticking with a quiet exhaust (Perrin 2.5" resonated) exactly because of the cold starts. This exhaust is about as neighbor-friendly as it gets (neighbors are still friendly/wave to me)
it's still fairly loud with cold starts too haha, but much better than alternatives. I want to try the GR performance exhaust tbh

· Registered
8 Posts
First off I love the sounds a noise level of this exhaust how it is driving around. So if you're on the fence about this exhaust maybe this will help.

The current problem I'm having is the cold start is just a little too much. If I'm leaving work at the same time someone else is, I have to hold the throttle at an extra ~500rpm so I don't look like I'm 20years old with a bit of a ricer. I have clients generally in the 45yo, range just trying to be somewhat responsible. The sound on a cold start also isn't a great one* just loud. It's tough because after 30 seconds it's perfect.

My coming problem is I doubt I'll be able to upgrade anymore exhaust for fear of it getting even louder. I'm not opposed to a good exhaust noise, just don't like being annoying. I'm 32 deciding if I should make a change.
If you are ever looking for a more tame system HKS Spec L 1 or 2 or the Apexi N1X are nice sounding but not loud!

· Registered
33 Posts

Try connecting one of these - Universal VALVED Muffler Kit

· Registered
148 Posts
it's still fairly loud with cold starts too haha, but much better than alternatives. I want to try the GR performance exhaust tbh
Yeah definitely catches the attention of people walking by but I don’t think anyone inside their houses are bothered by it. I’ve got two kids in my house and an attached garage so I was worried about the cold starts waking them up, but my wife said the kids slept fine and she barely noticed them. Good enough for me haha, although not sure I can go any louder without annoying people.

The Perrin has one of the biggest resonators I’ve seen on an aftermarket exhaust. It makes a huge difference cutting down the cold start rasp. I had the non-resonated version on my 1st gen and the cold starts were brutal.

Is the GR exhaust similar to the 1st gen TRD exhaust? I think that exhaust may have been louder/dronier than the Perrin resonated, at least on the 1st gens.

· Registered
'22 BRZ MT Limited
29 Posts
I didn't even bother with AWE for this reason. Lots of people complaining it is too loud and I've seen several listings for them in the For Sale section. I feel just slightly guilty with my HKS which is one of the quietest ones; can't imagine how loud the AWE must be. I guess we can be thankful that the cold start doesn't last too long lol. I saw a video on a f82 m4. The GTS tune on it has a cold start that lasts almost 2 minutes

1 - 20 of 48 Posts