Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2022 GR86 Premium MT - Neptune Blue (Pending Allocation)
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So there aren't a lot of options right out of the gate for the GR86. I have PPF on my other vehicles so I am going to have it dealer-installed. Besides that the mats and everything else I can get at a decent price after-the-fact so I am not going to get those from the factory.

I am, however, on the fence about the mirror. I don't use the garage-door opener so that's not going to be a deciding factor. But I would like to see the difference between the Stock vs Option on those. Is the stock one not Auto-Dimming? Kinda seems odd in this day-and-age.

Can someone post a picture of the Stock Non-Option mirror and can someone post a picture of the Auto-Dimming Option?

Please and Thank You.

·
Registered
Toyota Tundra TRD Sport; Suzuki Samurai JX
36 Posts
I do not have pictures but had this very discussion with my dealership. The "stock" mirror or what comes with the car is a standard mirror with the manual flip switch on the bottom of the mirror. The "option" is an actual auto dimming mirror with homelink button.

·
Registered
396 Posts
So there aren't a lot of options right out of the gate for the GR86. I have PPF on my other vehicles so I am going to have it dealer-installed. Besides that the mats and everything else I can get at a decent price after-the-fact so I am not going to get those from the factory.

I am, however, on the fence about the mirror. I don't use the garage-door opener so that's not going to be a deciding factor. But I would like to see the difference between the Stock vs Option on those. Is the stock one not Auto-Dimming? Kinda seems odd in this day-and-age.

Can someone post a picture of the Stock Non-Option mirror and can someone post a picture of the Auto-Dimming Option?

Please and Thank You.
Before you have your dealer install PPF, do some research. The quality isn’t as great as aftermarket. Some brands offer better warranties on the PPF as well.

·
Registered
Toyota Tundra TRD Sport; Suzuki Samurai JX
36 Posts
Before you have your dealer install PPF, do some research. The quality isn’t as great as aftermarket. Some brands offer better warranties on the PPF as well.
I absolutely agree with you. Factory PPF is garbage and typically doesn’t come with a warranty. I go through a local company called Detail Maniac and their PPF they use doesn’t yellow, is self healing, and is warrantied against many things for like 10 years and lifetime for yellowing.

·
Registered
2022 GR86 Premium MT - Neptune Blue (Pending Allocation)
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I absolutely agree with you. Factory PPF is garbage and typically doesn’t come with a warranty. I go through a local company called Detail Maniac and their PPF they use doesn’t yellow, is self healing, and is warrantied against many things for like 10 years and lifetime for yellowing.
Well it's 3M which isn't... terrible.

And if it is factory installed then it's covered by warranty.

I have a PPF guy though, so I may just go that route.

·
Registered
2020 Toyota 86 <---- me, sad ---> 2022 GR86 MT Neptune
27 Posts
My dealer told me the Toyota automatic dimming mirrors are backordered. I found the Subaru mirror and ordered it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Get it, I find myself flipping my mirror non-stop during night rides. Every other vehicle is sitting higher and trucks etc headlights are level with your eyes, Constantly blinded. I literally drive with my sun visor down at night.

auto-dimming mirror, Some tint.. and an extra wide windshield sun strip are advised.

If you never had a sport coupe like this, You'll find out :p

·
Registered
2018 Fiesta ST, 2019 Shelby GT350R
149 Posts
Get it, I find myself flipping my mirror non-stop during night rides. Every other vehicle is sitting higher and trucks etc headlights are level with your eyes, Constantly blinded. I literally drive with my sun visor down at night.

auto-dimming mirror, Some tint.. and an extra wide windshield sun strip are advised.

If you never had a sport coupe like this, You'll find out :p
I believe you. I'd also offer that if you choose to run a radar detector, ensure the tint strip at the top of the windshield doesn't affect the RD's performance.

·
Registered
146 Posts

Please and Thank You.
When you get your car, can you post some pictures on the dealer installed PPF. My dealership told me most if not all of their GR86s are coming with it since they been paid for already? The sales guy said their PPF is high end but I had my own place I was going to take mine to and I want to see how good dealers are.

·
Registered
WR Blue Pearl 2022 BRZ Limited 6AT
66 Posts
When you get your car, can you post some pictures on the dealer installed PPF. My dealership told me most if not all of their GR86s are coming with it since they been paid for already? The sales guy said their PPF is high end but I had my own place I was going to take mine to and I want to see how good dealers are.
My non-ordered didn't come with PPF. I didn't spec it, just walked into a dealer and bought it for MSRP.

Envy me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts