Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1101 - 1120 of 1132 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
That's so exciting man, I'm awaiting a phone call from my dealer who was going to talk to their stock controller about what models they are getting in. I'm first in line at the dealership so I'm praying there's a white manual GTS coming soon 🤞

·
Registered
2003 Subaru Liberty RSK B4 Auto
16 Posts
I had my deposit down at the same dealership, I don’t think you can transfer the deposit as it’s not a direct line in the queue. But that’s 3 people at one dealership all turning away within a week.
What can I say.... limited spec & price gouged manuals.... Just so much wrong with this launch...

I'll put my money into my B4 / import something to work on and in 1-2 years I'll pick up a secondhand one GR86 / BRZ.

Also thanks, makes sense with the queue. Just first come first served I guess.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Subaru BRZ, WR Blue Pearl
1,702 Posts
Chasing Cars review is live on YouTube.

Shame that Tom wasnt driving but they like the car but also seem pretty eager to defend the pricing and actually call it good value for money. But Chasing Cars tend to do this with expensive economy cars, they work fairly hard to justify the prices.
Not sure if its their full review - they tend to want to drive them on the road, not just an extended track time media day.

We will see, I certainly hope they do.

Most car journalist websites will be the same, not talk about the price gouge on the manual. There isn't a lot of financial independence available in this industry. You could probably count on one hand the professional car journalist institutions that are able to survive without suckling at the teat of the automotive industry.

·
Registered
100 Posts
ot sure if its their full review - they tend to want to drive them on the road, not just an extended track time media day.
Yeah it didn't seem up to their usual standard. Chasing cars review of the BRZ was much better. I see Carexpert has published their review too which is better and more detailed but they also defend the pricing quite strongly but thats typical of both Carexpert and Chasing cars.

Also its somewhat surprising they launched the cars at Phillip Island as its a very fast circuit and probably favours cars with bigger top ends. Although, it might hide the somewhat inadequate brakes.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey mate, what dealership is that? You’re probably the first to pick the car up. We don’t even have allocations yet at the dealership I’ve deposited at.

Today's the day. Should be picking up my 86 in less than 10 hours.

I'm going to ask if the ducktail spoiler is in their parts system, otherwise what options do spoilerless aussies have? I don't really feel like paying the weaker currency premium for a US distributer + shipping. Considering how many of the extras our market misses out on I'm pretty peeved they couldn't even leave us with the spoiler. If I don't laugh I'll cry 😂

Will post pics later hopefully. No promises on getting a pic of that price sheet but I can definitely show a picture of my bank account being thoroughly emptied. At least the tinting was cheap??

Bonus fun:
Had an argument with the mechanic because I said I wanted to do a 1000-1500km oil change. He was heatedly adamant that there was no engine run-in period for this car. Tried telling me that because it's a "Toyota" they're already run-in from the factory. The level of ignorance just about knocked the wind out of me. Whatever though, not paying for your opinion just do the oil change. Praying Toyota issues a recall on the RTV situation so I don't have an uphill battle trying to explain that one later as well.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Until someone shows me a paid invoice with a discount amount on it, I don’t believe any dealer in the country will be discounting prices
This is as much as I'm willing to share on this. I really do wish you all good luck on your orders. I echo the thoughts of others that for the price Toyota is asking, PLEASE buy the Subaru instead if you're after a manual transmission.

Barely driven it but first impressions:
  • The tires are as loud as people say
  • Android auto disconnects non stop
  • No complaints at all about ride quality in this weather
  • steering wheel is a tiny tiny bit smaller than I'm used to.
  • clutch and transmission feel will definitely take some getting used to for me.
  • very usable torque. I love all the mechanical noises this engine makes
  • Highway stint was around 7.3-7.7L/100km but I wasn't driving as efficiently as possible. Trying to vary rpm during the break-in period.
  • no handling impressions since I was barely comfortable operating the car and nervous about others around me.
  • The weight feels familiar for me since it's on par with what I'm coming from. I like that.
  • I love the seating position and road presence.
  • exterior/interior styling is 10/10. A joy to look at.

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm going to ask if the ducktail spoiler is in their parts system, otherwise what options do spoilerless aussies have? I don't really feel like paying the weaker currency premium for a US distributer + shipping. Considering how many of the extras our market misses out on I'm pretty peeved they couldn't even leave us with the spoiler. If I don't laugh I'll cry 😂
You can get them painted and ready to go directly from Toyota/TRD in Japan.

Part number for a white one (confirm just in case): MS342-18007-A0

Talk to Jesse at jessestreeter.com

·
Registered
28 Posts
That's a decent price.

Just rang Peter kittle regarding the white GTS due in four weeks, there are only 7 people in the queue currently and they are concerned more people will be dropping due to the price. No room for discounts, yet (that might change if it doesnt sell I feel).

A friend of my mate saw my OG86 and offered to buy it so I called, still expect to pay more for the 86 with a private sell (vs trade in for the BRZ) though. Not a cent Toyota no! Anyone who has the cash on hand might want to ring them.

·
Registered
22 Posts
This is as much as I'm willing to share on this. I really do wish you all good luck on your orders. I echo the thoughts of others that for the price Toyota is asking, PLEASE buy the Subaru instead if you're after a manual transmission.

• clutch and transmission feel will definitely take some getting used to for me.
  • Highway stint was around 7.3-7.7L/100km but I wasn't driving as efficiently as possible. Trying to vary rpm during the break-in period.
  • no handling impressions since I was barely comfortable operating the car and nervous about others around me.
  • The weight feels familiar for me since it's on par with what I'm coming from. I like that.
You did very well mate. I’m guessing the first delivery in the country and also discounted. Not quite sure how you managed that but well done

·
Registered
26 Posts
Phillip Island isn't hard on the brakes either.
I saw a mechanical breakdown video yesterday where the guy claimed the front brakes were slightly smaller than the 1st gen's front brakes. He mentions some good info throughout that video that covers some points that seem to get overlooked. He's the first person I've heard talk about the connecting rod change for example. I did know about this change but I don't think it's common knowledge yet. Here's the link if you're interested.

·
Super Moderator
1,702 Posts

You realise that once you have the car there are no backsies from the dealer. You can help everyone else in the community out by posting the contract - its not an NDA and I'm sure a number of people might financially benefit from that.

I know a lot of people really just want a fair go on the manual.

·
Registered
26 Posts
You realise that once you have the car there are no backsies from the dealer. You can help everyone else in the community out by posting the contract - its not an NDA and I'm sure a number of people might financially benefit from that.

I know a lot of people really just want a fair go on the manual.
The discount I was given was purely goodwill. A one off situation due to an owner with a big heart. For me to announce publicly online "hey this dealer gives discounts on their cars go nag their already busy staff for an allocation they don't have and a business model they can't support", it would be a real slap in the face. They've done right by me and I intend to do right by them.

At the end of the day, the holistic approach is to pressure Toyota into lowering their prices by decreasing demand, rather than making dealers pony up the difference. It doesn't feel good not being able to help other enthusiasts out, but turning my dealership into a martyr doesn't feel like a good alternative either. I empathise and I apologise, but this one's on Toyota corporate, not the enthusiast, nor the dealerships.

·
Registered
9 Posts

Your situation sounds too good to be true! But hey if you got the car, big congrats! Quite jealous!

When you can, could you do me a favour and check if the steering response headlights is a thing with the Aus cars?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Your situation sounds too good to be true! But hey if you got the car, big congrats! Quite jealous!

When you can, could you do me a favour and check if the steering response headlights is a thing with the Aus cars?
Headlights sure do change with input. First thing I noticed as it came out of the showroom. Looked like it was giving me an eyeroll 😂

·
Registered
3 Posts
Test drove this automatic GTS this arvo, I was not disappointed. It looks good in real life and was comfortable to sit in. The salesman was unwilling to discount as expected and unable to say how long delivery might be. Guessed about 6 months.

Anyone in Perth WA know if any Subaru dealer has a manual for test drives?

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Car Cloud

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
1,702 Posts
The discount I was given was purely goodwill. A one off situation due to an owner with a big heart. For me to announce publicly online "hey this dealer gives discounts on their cars go nag their already busy staff for an allocation they don't have and a business model they can't support", it would be a real slap in the face. They've done right by me and I intend to do right by them.

At the end of the day, the holistic approach is to pressure Toyota into lowering their prices by decreasing demand, rather than making dealers pony up the difference. It doesn't feel good not being able to help other enthusiasts out, but turning my dealership into a martyr doesn't feel like a good alternative either. I empathise and I apologise, but this one's on Toyota corporate, not the enthusiast, nor the dealerships.
No problems. I get you.

I have no idea how much of a cut of this price the dealers are getting - I'd imagine it will be more than Subaru because the cost price from the factory will still be the same, and its just a matter of how much money the importer is taking a cut of - that info will come out eventually so we will know how much of the pricing can actually be impacted by a dealer.

I'd suggest they make a tidy amount of profit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry noob questions. Never bought a brand new car.

i was surprised to see previous post mentioned bout asking for discount. You can negotiate the price? Really? How does that work? what are the possible cut down range? Thanks

1101 - 1120 of 1132 Posts