Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1081 - 1100 of 1132 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey all, long time lurker, first time poster here just posting my own lengthy tale of this car’s ordering ordeal.

I’ve had a GR86 on pre-order since May of this year and I’d previously been told that I was first in my salesperson’s queue and that there was a chance a car close enough to my preferred spec would be delivered within a few weeks.

Today after I spoke with them, he says that stock allocations that originally were predicted to be between 1100-1500 for the next 12 months for Australia are going to be possibly half that number at best, and that any cars made to spec would only likely reach buyers from Q3 2023 onwards.

Dealerships are getting super frustrated with head office, firstly with the pricing decisions that have seen them lose quite a few sales and now they have learned that their demo car allocations would also be cut. The initial expectation that each major dealership would receive 2 demos (one MT and one AT) has now been revised down some dealerships needing to share 1 demo car between them, which is currently the case with this dealer. They can’t sell cars and we can’t buy them, so it’s all a mess.

I had been open with him that I also had a BRZ on order as a backup that is due in November, and he basically told me straight up that it was close to a guarantee that I’d be seeing that car first.

So yeah, just a heads up to really, really temper expectations on seeing this car anytime soon. I’m sure glad I decided to order with Subaru at the same time. I had a hunch this launch was going to be messy earlier this year and unfortunately it does seem to be the case.

·
Registered
BRZ S (Limited) Manual Silver
498 Posts
Hey all, long time lurker, first time poster here just posting my own lengthy tale of this car’s ordering ordeal.

I’ve had a GR86 on pre-order since May of this year and I’d previously been told that I was first in my salesperson’s queue and that there was a chance a car close enough to my preferred spec would be delivered within a few weeks.

Today after I spoke with them, he says that stock allocations that originally were predicted to be between 1100-1500 for the next 12 months for Australia are going to be possibly half that number at best, and that any cars made to spec would only likely reach buyers from Q3 2023 onwards.

Dealerships are getting super frustrated with head office, firstly with the pricing decisions that have seen them lose quite a few sales and now they have learned that their demo car allocations would also be cut. The initial expectation that each major dealership would receive 2 demos (one MT and one AT) has now been revised down some dealerships needing to share 1 demo car between them, which is currently the case with this dealer. They can’t sell cars and we can’t buy them, so it’s all a mess.

I had been open with him that I also had a BRZ on order as a backup that is due in November, and he basically told me straight up that it was close to a guarantee that I’d be seeing that car first.

So yeah, just a heads up to really, really temper expectations on seeing this car anytime soon. I’m sure glad I decided to order with Subaru at the same time. I had a hunch this launch was going to be messy earlier this year and unfortunately it does seem to be the case.
Toyota Australia have totally screwed this up. The previous gen in Australia, 86s outsold BRZs 4:1. Somebody at Australia HQ needs their ass kicked for screwing up what should have been a lay down misere.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a pre-order on GR86 that I placed earlier this year. After a few or launch, the dealer still have no information on allocation and customer delivery.

This week, I managed to test drive both GR86 and BRZ back to back. Sadly both were Auto box. Nevermind Apples to Apples.

Toyota has always been vocal about how they spend months on developing a different suspension tune in the GR86. However, to my surprise, it was the BRZ that blow my mind. Agree. Maybe the GR86 might be fun and tail happy when driving ten tens, but in real world, at legal speed limits on Aussie roads (city and 80k zones) I throughly loved the direct steering, pointy front end and beautiful compliance of the BRZ. Loved the chassis and steering tune on BRZ so much that I ordered one straight away. Small difference, but I did feel something different and better with BRZ

I am looking for a daily driver with occasional track events (if I could really manage a few), and I guess the BRZ with the 44.8k driveaway NSW price tag for Manual S version makes a ton of sense. Plus, it gets a spare wheel, Navigation and available in the beautiful WR Blue pearl.

The GR86 is priced higher at 50.2k driveway (no price discount on either brands) and I am struggling to justify if I should be spend more on Toyota. Capped Price service is cheaper on Toyota, that would save me 1300 over the period of 5 years. 2 years additional drivetrain warranty when Serviced with Toyota. GR86 has a aggressive front bumper that I have been a massive fan from get go. But the front grill is not worth ~5K price difference.

Also Toyota is actually using steel components instead of aluminum on BRZ, and is simpler to manufacture, so ideally the GR86 should be priced lower than the BRZ (like in US markets)

What am I missing ?

P.S. also I have to be more patient with my order. As I have to let go front spot in the GR86 queue at my local dealership, to a March-23 delivery date provided by my Subaru Dealer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
" USA: The 6-speed manual transmission upgraded vehicles will be $31,325 for the GR86 Premium and $31,490 for the BRZ Limited"
USA prices pretty much the same between BRZ and GR86 premium. AUSTRALIA $5000 price difference..... Price gouge!!!!

I really wanted the GR86 but if Toyota won't negotiate on price I am buying a BRZ and putting the $5000 towards a holiday or front splitter and some sweet MCA coilovers.👍

·
Registered
100 Posts
Drive have not let the pricing change go unnoticed.
Chasing Cars review is live on YouTube.

Shame that Tom wasnt driving but they like the car but also seem pretty eager to defend the pricing and actually call it good value for money. But Chasing Cars tend to do this with expensive economy cars, they work fairly hard to justify the prices.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I really wanted the GR86 but if Toyota won't negotiate on price I am buying a BRZ
I am waiting for the final price negotiation with my Toyota dealer. The dealer is still not ready to offer a final contract price on my pre-order. If the dealer doesn't offer a decent discount, I am ready to cancel my order and move to BRZ.

I have already ordered a BRZ over the weekend to get into the queue.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,097 ·
It’s good the main player in car reviews now (drive) is doing the dirty work and asking Toyota the tough questions. Back in the car advice days, a Toyota wouldn’t be seen getting a 7 in reviews, was always a certain high 8 or 9.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Has anyone driven a type r? How is it compare to the old 86/brz? I know ppl hardly made comparison between these two prob cuz one is FWD and the other is RWD. I'm really considering a used type r now since I felt like waiting for an unknown delivery ETA gr86 is hopeless.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Today's the day. Should be picking up my 86 in less than 10 hours.

I'm going to ask if the ducktail spoiler is in their parts system, otherwise what options do spoilerless aussies have? I don't really feel like paying the weaker currency premium for a US distributer + shipping. Considering how many of the extras our market misses out on I'm pretty peeved they couldn't even leave us with the spoiler. If I don't laugh I'll cry 😂

Will post pics later hopefully. No promises on getting a pic of that price sheet but I can definitely show a picture of my bank account being thoroughly emptied. At least the tinting was cheap??

Bonus fun:
Had an argument with the mechanic because I said I wanted to do a 1000-1500km oil change. He was heatedly adamant that there was no engine run-in period for this car. Tried telling me that because it's a "Toyota" they're already run-in from the factory. The level of ignorance just about knocked the wind out of me. Whatever though, not paying for your opinion just do the oil change. Praying Toyota issues a recall on the RTV situation so I don't have an uphill battle trying to explain that one later as well.

1081 - 1100 of 1132 Posts