Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
341 - 360 of 360 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #341 ·
Seeing goop is the story of the day

This might be cause of a future production delay while Subaru learn the more goop the better isn’t always… better.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #343 ·
Looking around this forum, Facebook and GRzoo, there is a problem with the amount of sealant used on the oil pan. If those engines are done a separate line and if it’s like what Toyota Australia was. They will literally get some pallets, drop the unused motors onto them and then lift them up as high as possible with their biggest forklift and fling them down to the ground and destroy every single one which is affected.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Looking around this forum, Facebook and GRzoo, there is a problem with the amount of sealant used on the oil pan. If those engines are done a separate line and if it’s like what Toyota Australia was. They will literally get some pallets, drop the unused motors onto them and then lift them up as high as possible with their biggest forklift and fling them down to the ground and destroy every single one which is affected.
This is a common issue unfortunately.

·
Registered
23 Posts
This might be cause of a future production delay while Subaru learn the more goop the better isn’t always… better.
I suspect this has already happened months ago. That guy's story is so widespread because of the warranty denial. There have already been at least several engines replaced under warranty for that issue and production would have already been revised IMO.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Counting down the days till official preorders start, Hope I make that cut in the early allocation anything less than 3month wait I'm happy with
The differences is he was on track so not covered with factory warranty. The key point is that event held by Toyota.

As long as I get the car, Im think change oil frequently at the beginning see if can flush rtv out or not.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #348 ·
The rtv does not flush out easy, it gets stuck in the pick up, exhaust manifold and oil pan needs to come off to do a better job cleaning it out.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hopefully Toyota confirms this RTV issue has been resolved before our launch next month. If they maintain radio silence, I will have to cancel my preorder and wait a couple years to ensure I'm not buying a lemon. Would be a shame after almost 1 year in waiting.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hopefully Toyota confirms this RTV issue has been resolved before our launch next month. If they maintain radio silence, I will have to cancel my preorder and wait a couple years to ensure I'm not buying a lemon. Would be a shame after almost 1 year in waiting.
You're not serious are you? If you're that worried, just drop the oil pan after a few thousand km, check and clean if necessary. Would you really go without the car for a couple of years just because of that?

I highly doubt that they're still applying too much sealant during manufacture after all this time.

·
Registered
36 Posts
You're not serious are you? If you're that worried, just drop the oil pan after a few thousand km, check and clean if necessary. Would you really go without the car for a couple of years just because of that?

I highly doubt that they're still applying too much sealant during manufacture after all this time.
Personally, I plan on keeping my car well after the warranty expires. I am paying decent money and do not want the risk of engine failure looming over me.

The reports indicate RTV is applied robotically and all engines would be affected equally until after those early settings are changed. This seems to go beyond the oil pan, and includes other gaskets such as the timing cover. If that's all true, it could just be a matter of time before oil starvation occurs due to RTV blockages in early production vehicles, until they recalibrate the production process.

So, yes, I'm thinking it might actually be worthwhile delaying to avoid the issue all together, unless we get the all clear at our launch.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Personally, I plan on keeping my car well after the warranty expires. I am paying decent money and do not want the risk of engine failure looming over me.

The reports indicate RTV is applied robotically and all engines would be affected equally until after those early settings are changed. This seems to go beyond the oil pan, and includes other gaskets such as the timing cover. If that's all true, it could just be a matter of time before oil starvation occurs due to RTV blockages in early production vehicles, until they recalibrate the production process.

So, yes, I'm thinking it might actually be worthwhile delaying to avoid the issue all together, unless we get the all clear at our launch.
A few thousand Ks is plenty of time for most of the loose bits to fall down IMO. Do it again at 20,000km if you’re super worried.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Posting up to say I'm on the waiting list for a GR86. MX-5 in the garage at the moment which I'll sell/trade for it (whichever happens first) and I dearly love that car, but I need something I can put two young children into in a pinch, and still have fun at Morgan Park a few times a year.

Hoping to get one in Trueno Blue when they're available, reckon this will be a fun car. Will miss top-down driving though, that's something special.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Fk yeah lets go baby
As much as this is good news - I'm now concerned about this seemingly widespread silicon / oil pan issue. Wondering if that's been resolved before the production of this run of cars. *And whether Toyota is voiding warranty's for cars that do track days. The latest US response seems to be that after all the publicity - Toyota would not void the warranty from tracking the car which is great (at least for this particular issue)... but is Australia in the same boat? Or going to wait for the publicity hit before they do the right thing.

341 - 360 of 360 Posts