Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 20 of 176 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2022 Subaru BRZ, WR Blue Pearl
1,702 Posts
Great idea.

I put a deposit down in November 2020 in Melbourne.

I actually put one down on both cars hoping to test drive them back to back. Thats not happening though, so when the GR86 arrives if I like it better I'll flip the BRZ..

Specs are the interesting one. The GR86 has awesome cloth seats, in fact I think as they have the unique styling on them with the G I like them better.

If they go down the BRZ route and offer a spec that is essentially the top spec apart from those seats (and sans the seat heaters), I will be in heaven.

·
Super Moderator
1,702 Posts
One interesting titbit I got late last year about the GR86, was that there is potentially a slight spec change for the next year model (which is what we would get).

Could just be something minor, or nothing at all (you know how dealers are), but interesting nonetheless.

·
Super Moderator
1,702 Posts
Called in at the local dealer today to se if I could place an order and the response was - no. They can't place any orders with Toyota until such time as Toyota release models, specifications and prices.

He said they could take a deposit but it would just put ny name on a list with the manager and nothing else would happen.

I can wait. Not much choice really.
Correct - Depending on the dealer they will have an internal pre-order system, done by deal date that gets used when the real orders open, and when they don't have a managed system in place they tend to not like making pre-orders.

Go to the biggest dealer in or around your area, and you will probably find that they can put you on a proper pre-order list.

My dealer in Melbourne has a system set up, I get calls every once in a while by a girl who manages orders and allocations - its not even my sales person - they actually have separate people in charge of managing it all.

·
Super Moderator
1,702 Posts
That was the biggest dealer (the only dealer in Bundaberg).

Placed an order with them for an 86 about 9 months ago and they couldn't source one. Said I would wait for the new model. Didn't realize how long I would have to wait.

Considered a BRZ but the local dealer doesn't appeal to me and just seems to want to sell suv's.
Sounds like you might have to do a drive. On the other hand it might be worthwhile to pop in and talk to the sales manager. Get chatting with him and see if he can take a deposit and make a contract up with a deal date (doesn't need to be signed), with a disclaimer that waiting on full spec and pricing. My dealer just used the old 86 car code as a placeholder so they could enter it.

·
Super Moderator
1,702 Posts
Which dealer did you put down your deposit at? I put mine at Nunawading, havent really got much apart from me chasing up the dealer every few months. Looks like I shouldve went to yours.
Subaru Docklands. The one with the STI Interactive and the mini test track.

The sales manager is a nice guy, and worked really hard to fix up my order after some stuff-ups. Never got argumentative, has really come through for me in the end.

·
Super Moderator
1,702 Posts
I test drove the BRZ last week, called Toyota and put a a deposit down on a GR86 the next day. The dealer put it through as a 2020 86 order and said I could pick the specs once details are revealed. They told me that Toyota should be "launching" the car in Feb or March, most likely March for a release in July or August. But who knows if any of that is true...
That is news!

Everyone was thinking that we wouldn't get specs for ages.

·
Super Moderator
1,702 Posts
Do you guys know if dealer markups are a thing in Australia? Seems pretty common in the US but I don't think I've heard of it happening here? I just hope that dealers don't start taking advantage and charging ridiculous prices....
Only on 'used' cars. I think we saw a dealer selling one with 30kms on it for 55k

·
Super Moderator
1,702 Posts
The cost of shipping now as opposed to 2021 and so too the production slow downs that have already hit this year due to shortage of parts or earth quakes. The raw material cost is bit worse now than before too, we get some protection from exchange rates, but it won’t cover everything. If you can get the premium in manual for 45k on roads that would be an excellent outcome right now.
Yep. We will be lucky if its sub 45k. Then there is the wait, Subaru sales rep told me that have backed up orders (yes, you can order one) that if you buy today its not being delivered till 2023. Right now the Subaru rep said they are still running 500 car allocation each half.

Now that said, Toyota will have an allocation booked into the factory scheduling to handle its orders, its just going to be a question of how big that allocation for Australia will be.

Right now the US are doing effectively 1500 a month (production limited), reports suggest EU are getting 4400 over the two years its being released there.

Then there is china and japan, which there isn't much information I can glean about production commitments.

I think we might get similar numbers to EU, perhaps a little less - 1500 a year initially.

One would hope/expect things ramp up second half of next year or 2024 latest as EU goes offline, but they may just simply not wish to clog up the production lines with these things because its entirely plausible that the other volume sellers that use those lines are just far more important, more profitable, and in a far more competitive market. Just the pure existence of these cars adds to the overall branding of the company by helping drive purchases of top spec (and the most profitable) regular models that come badged with 'GR sport' for instance.

There is also a risk that every one of these models that are less fuel efficient and without hybrids are at risk of sudden government regulation, so if you commit large number of these cars then suddenly they cannot be sold then you risk losing a lot of money. While it would behove a government to play nice with large auto-makers and not drop sudden shocks on then, climate change politics its very much a live and dynamic risk for even short term planning.

·
Super Moderator
1,702 Posts
My dealer wasn't expecting deliveries until November - so I'm not surprised to hear this The only BS bit they are now saying is the reason for the delay. Honestly the car was sorted a year ago when they started releasing them in japan - the big problem is that they are just not making many, for whatever reason, and it correlates to these stretched out and long waitlists.

·
Super Moderator
1,702 Posts
They could do that, maybe that red carpet will be the optional extra, or they might charge for different paint colours.
Just to note, in japan the red carpet is a free option on the top spec. Yeah colours will be extra, I think black will be the free one this time around (the red paint is actually a tricolour this time, so a bit more expensive).

·
Super Moderator
1,702 Posts
The red and white are extra I believe. I think it was $450. If the 3rd quarter is 23 models then hopefully that’s what we’ll get too. Starting to get close to 50k once you add on road costs.
It will be interesting. More and more the 2020 deposit I have on the GR86 is becoming less able to unseat me from the BRZ.

When it all shakes out and I go and see/test drive, if I'm happy sticking put I'll definitely do what I can to release it for a GR86.org Melbourne member.

·
Super Moderator
1,702 Posts
Toyota just called and told me official pre-orders opened today for the GR86! They said that they still don't have pricing or time frames on orders but it's a start... Hopefully they put the foot down to get them built soon!
Was this your dealer or toyota?

·
Super Moderator
1,702 Posts
View attachment 8531
View attachment 8532
The red interior needs a exterior colour to match, like white. Then you can recreate the classic DC2 type R.
I was just thinking about this, and I think with predominantly black seats and just red carpet and door trim, the need to colour contrast isn't quite so crucial. If the seats were red, then for sure.

1 - 20 of 176 Posts