Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 20 of 1219 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see we have a very active thread for the BRZ, so why not something to track the local GR86 buyers. I’m from South Aus, I placed an order and deposit at the start of last November for a premium manual Neptune blue 86 at the Para Hills Toyota dealer. I have been receiving monthly calls from the salesperson. But new information has either been thin or none existent as yet.

I might be one of the rarer buyers who intends to actually use the rear seats 😅, I have 3 kids, but normally only drive around one or two at time short distance. Thing going for me and the kids, I’m the tallest (or least shortest 😂) at 168cm, so there may in fact be seat room available for all.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi from Sydney. I also have a deposit down for the GR86. Red and manual. I am afraid that the latest update I have is that there is no update. At least I won't be the only one throwing the kiddos in the back seats. I would be interested to see how many of us placed deposits.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Subaru BRZ, WR Blue Pearl
1,762 Posts
Great idea.

I put a deposit down in November 2020 in Melbourne.

I actually put one down on both cars hoping to test drive them back to back. Thats not happening though, so when the GR86 arrives if I like it better I'll flip the BRZ..

Specs are the interesting one. The GR86 has awesome cloth seats, in fact I think as they have the unique styling on them with the G I like them better.

If they go down the BRZ route and offer a spec that is essentially the top spec apart from those seats (and sans the seat heaters), I will be in heaven.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I hope you guys get to see a GR86 this year but I would actually be game enough to put money down that they won't be here until 2023 after the recent announcements closing orders for the BRZ and GR86 only being allotments and not orders for the US.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ive placed an order in July 2021and was originally told it could be feb/march 2022. Can confirm my dealer has no idea and only update they got is the “will be available 2nd half of 2022”. I really hope it does come june or so. Its strange Americans only got their GR86 3-4 months after the BRZs and we have to wait so much longer.

First BRZs are already here and are starting delivery within the next 1 week or 2.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I placed a deposit in November and was told 2nd quarter of this year at the time. I have had zero comms from the dealership since. I haven’t bothered to get in touch either since this forum and others are now my morning news 😅 I do hope we see the cars this year!

·
Super Moderator
1,762 Posts
One interesting titbit I got late last year about the GR86, was that there is potentially a slight spec change for the next year model (which is what we would get).

Could just be something minor, or nothing at all (you know how dealers are), but interesting nonetheless.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Called in at the local dealer today to se if I could place an order and the response was - no. They can't place any orders with Toyota until such time as Toyota release models, specifications and prices.

He said they could take a deposit but it would just put ny name on a list with the manager and nothing else would happen.

I can wait. Not much choice really.

·
Super Moderator
1,762 Posts
Called in at the local dealer today to se if I could place an order and the response was - no. They can't place any orders with Toyota until such time as Toyota release models, specifications and prices.

He said they could take a deposit but it would just put ny name on a list with the manager and nothing else would happen.

I can wait. Not much choice really.
Correct - Depending on the dealer they will have an internal pre-order system, done by deal date that gets used when the real orders open, and when they don't have a managed system in place they tend to not like making pre-orders.

Go to the biggest dealer in or around your area, and you will probably find that they can put you on a proper pre-order list.

My dealer in Melbourne has a system set up, I get calls every once in a while by a girl who manages orders and allocations - its not even my sales person - they actually have separate people in charge of managing it all.

·
Registered
7 Posts
That was the biggest dealer (the only dealer in Bundaberg).

Placed an order with them for an 86 about 9 months ago and they couldn't source one. Said I would wait for the new model. Didn't realize how long I would have to wait.

Considered a BRZ but the local dealer doesn't appeal to me and just seems to want to sell suv's.

·
Super Moderator
1,762 Posts
That was the biggest dealer (the only dealer in Bundaberg).

Placed an order with them for an 86 about 9 months ago and they couldn't source one. Said I would wait for the new model. Didn't realize how long I would have to wait.

Considered a BRZ but the local dealer doesn't appeal to me and just seems to want to sell suv's.
Sounds like you might have to do a drive. On the other hand it might be worthwhile to pop in and talk to the sales manager. Get chatting with him and see if he can take a deposit and make a contract up with a deal date (doesn't need to be signed), with a disclaimer that waiting on full spec and pricing. My dealer just used the old 86 car code as a placeholder so they could enter it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Salesman I spoke to (same one as 9 months ago), went and had a talk with the sales manager but still came back with not at this stage. He said they could take my deposit but looking at an unknown time until toyota opens orders so the money is better in my pocket.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Looks like a 12 month delay on the BRZ timing,

"All-New GR86 arrives late 2022"
Yeah saw that too :( I emailed my dealer to see if they had any more concrete timings but didn’t get a response to that question specifically. The other thing I asked was about converting the current eoi/deposit I have down to an “official” order once the books open. They confirmed that they currently had 6 orders to place of which mine was the second so that’s something I guess.

Guess we’re all strapping in for a big ol’ wait!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Which dealer did you put down your deposit at? I put mine at Nunawading, havent really got much apart from me chasing up the dealer every few months. Looks like I shouldve went to yours.

Correct - Depending on the dealer they will have an internal pre-order system, done by deal date that gets used when the real orders open, and when they don't have a managed system in place they tend to not like making pre-orders.

Go to the biggest dealer in or around your area, and you will probably find that they can put you on a proper pre-order list.

My dealer in Melbourne has a system set up, I get calls every once in a while by a girl who manages orders and allocations - its not even my sales person - they actually have separate people in charge of managing it all.

1 - 20 of 1219 Posts