Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had two Subaru dealers confirm to be that info session/training on the BRZ specs for au begin on Monday.

I'm hopeful we will have engine spec confirmation, colour selections, and more exact interior and exterior specs.

I think my dealer I deposited with wont get the session till Tuesday, so if anyone gets told the details sooner then let us know!

Very excited

·
Registered
9 Posts
Interesting, I wonder if Toyota is doing the same thing this week?

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
99 Posts
I am also waiting for a very specific premiere of a Toyota twin. Subaru doesn't interest me because it won't be available in Europe.

·
Super Moderator
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am also waiting for a very specific premiere of a Toyota twin. Subaru doesn't interest me because it won't be available in Europe.
The only problem is that the gr86 might cost the same or even more than a gr yaris in euro right?

·
Registered
99 Posts
I hope not though it is likely. In my country, there is a high excise tax on cars over 2.0l capacity. I am convinced that the car will be $7,000 more expensive than the identical one in the US. And we earn much less. I bought a new, unused car only once. This will be the second and last time.

·
Super Moderator
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hope not though it is likely. In my country, there is a high excise tax on cars over 2.0l capacity. I am convinced that the car will be $7,000 more expensive than the identical one in the US. And we earn much less. I bought a new, unused car only once. This will be the second and last time.
I hope so too.

·
Registered
80 Posts
The only problem is that the gr86 might cost the same or even more than a gr yaris in euro right?
I think you are right , base model GR86 may be same area as base GR Yaris , but a full spec auto GR86 is likely to be more expensive.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I will not buy the GR86 at the price of the Yaris GR. Despite my love for light cars with a naturally aspirated engine and rear drive, I think it is a worse car in every way. The Yaris GR is a high-tech "civilian rally car" and the GR86 is more of an "all show and no go" style.

Well, I'm waiting for prices from the Polish importer. Until then, I will not participate in the forum because I am beginning to get the impression that the price will be unacceptable to me. And instead of the GR86, I will buy an i20N, and with the money saved, I will fulfill my travel dream - a trip to Alaska (US) and Yukon (CA).

·
Super Moderator
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
So all around the 'training' session they got was pretty sucky. And we still do not know anything about the different specs really.

All i got from it was just confirming the 7 colours for the BRZ, and a list of weight gains and reductions, which admittedly is interesting, if a little obscure.

Confirmed colours (Australian nomenclature)
WRC Blue
Ice Silver Metallic
Magnetic Grey
Crystal White
Ignition Red - NEW
Sapphire Blue - NEW

Weight
All up 9 kg more

Weight gains

Safety features - 30 kg
Engine - 9 kg
Driving stability - 14 kg
Other - 22 kg
Total 75 kg

Weight savings
High tensile steel sheets - 6 kg
material renewal (improvement?) - 9 kg
Revised specification/performance - 25 kg (I have no idea what this covers)
Streamlined design -18 kg
Other - 8 kg
Total 66 kg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Damn, I was really hoping they would get pricing and options as part of the training.

·
Super Moderator
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will not buy the GR86 at the price of the Yaris GR. Despite my love for light cars with a naturally aspirated engine and rear drive, I think it is a worse car in every way. The Yaris GR is a high-tech "civilian rally car" and the GR86 is more of an "all show and no go" style.

Well, I'm waiting for prices from the Polish importer. Until then, I will not participate in the forum because I am beginning to get the impression that the price will be unacceptable to me. And instead of the GR86, I will buy an i20N, and with the money saved, I will fulfill my travel dream - a trip to Alaska (US) and Yukon (CA).
I think the new GR86 has plenty of go.

But it is true that it sucks that its competing in an unfair pricing position in countries covered by the latest EU emission requirements. The GR Yaris is definitely outperforms the GR86 in most metrics - its just the look and the driving style that are different. You surely wouldn't be disappointed in the GR Yaris. Or perhaps you can wait for a second hand GR86?

·
Super Moderator
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Damn, I was really hoping they would get pricing and options as part of the training.

Yeah same. Very annoying.

Apparently they will have demo/test drive cars available around Sep/Otc.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yeah same. Very annoying.

Apparently they will have demo/test drive cars available around Sep/Otc.
That's not too bad, way earlier then I thought we would get it here in Oz to test drive. I sort of wrote it off as a 2022 release for us.

·
Super Moderator
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's not too bad, way earlier then I thought we would get it here in Oz to test drive. I sort of wrote it off as a 2022 release for us.

Yeah deliveries of customer orders should be in nov/dec

·
Registered
99 Posts
I think the new GR86 has plenty of go.

But it is true that it sucks that its competing in an unfair pricing position in countries covered by the latest EU emission requirements. The GR Yaris is definitely outperforms the GR86 in most metrics - its just the look and the driving style that are different. You surely wouldn't be disappointed in the GR Yaris. Or perhaps you can wait for a second hand GR86?
No, there isn't. At least for someone who has a light car with a factory supercharged engine which is slightly tuned. With high-class aftermarket suspension perfectly matched and adjusted. LSD. Tuned brakes.The car sticks to the road like a train of rails. That would be a step back when it comes to driving on winding roads. Please kindly, no offense.

Nevertheless, it is a brand new car of my favorite brand and very nice looking. Besides, I miss the rear wheel drive.

Used, I could only buy the Yaris GR but there were few available, they sold out quickly and they will keep the price very well.

Time will show what I will buy. I got hooked on GR86 but am in the habit of making wise decisions.

·
Super Moderator
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No, there isn't. At least for someone who has a light car with a factory supercharged engine which is slightly tuned. With high-class aftermarket suspension perfectly matched and adjusted. LSD. Tuned brakes.The car sticks to the road like a train of rails. That would be a step back when it comes to driving on winding roads. Please kindly, no offense.

Nevertheless, it is a brand new car of my favourite brand and very nice looking. Besides, I miss the rear wheel drive.

Used, I could only buy the Yaris GR but there were few available, they sold out quickly and they will keep the price very well.

Time will show what I will buy. I got hooked on GR86 but am in the habit of making wise decisions.
No offense taken Toge!

Though mini's are FUN as heck, in the twisties I don't think you have a chance to be frank with you. ;)

FWD cars struggle to compete with RWD in corners in particular (all things being equal - so like if they both had a similar tires, weight and centre of gravity). Physics makes maximum cornering speed lower in front wheel cars because after the braking event, the weight shifts to the rear of the car. As you juggle power you are constantly facing a losing battle against the physics of weight transferral.

·
Registered
20 Posts
So all around the 'training' session they got was pretty sucky. And we still do not know anything about the different specs really.

All i got from it was just confirming the 7 colours for the BRZ, and a list of weight gains and reductions, which admittedly is interesting, if a little obscure.

Confirmed colours (Australian nomenclature)
WRC Blue
Ice Silver Metallic
Magnetic Grey
Crystal White
Ignition Red - NEW
Sapphire Blue - NEW

Weight
All up 9 kg more

Weight gains

Safety features - 30 kg
Engine - 9 kg
Driving stability - 14 kg
Other - 22 kg
Total 75 kg

Weight savings
High tensile steel sheets - 6 kg
material renewal (improvement?) - 9 kg
Revised specification/performance - 25 kg (I have no idea what this covers)
Streamlined design -18 kg
Other - 8 kg
Total 66 kg
Interesting, I wonder if the 9 kg of weight gain includes prime coat spray as well.

·
Registered
99 Posts

Though mini's are FUN as heck, in the twisties I don't think you have a chance to be frank with you. ;)

Let me disagree with you. I would not like to be praised, but only one friend from many friends who have sports cars can keep up with me on our local mountain roads. He drives a tuned Subaru Wrx Sti. A few have RWDs, one M4 twice as powerful as my MCS. 😁

·
Registered
20 Posts
Let me disagree with you. I would not like to be praised, but only one friend from many friends who have sports cars can keep up with me on our local mountain roads. He drives a tuned Subaru Wrx Sti. A few have RWDs, one M4 twice as powerful as my MCS. 😁
Toge- Just a reminder…..There’s always someone around who may come along and stomp on your self-proclaimed driving prowess! Your Mini’s a great little short, I’m sure you’ve kicked a few smart asses on those roads, what local mountain roads are you referencing-

1 - 20 of 22 Posts