Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Use Google Maps and download the area you plan on driving for offline use. Then no data connection while driving is no problem. Not as easy as using built in nav, but a decent workaround.

We're going to the Upper Peninsula next week. Almost guaranteed no cell signal up there. Downloaded pretty much the entire state of Michigan just in case.
Good point but tbh I'd stick my TomTom Rider 400 motorcycle GPS on the windshield before I'd bother with downloading offline maps. There's just no substitute for a real GPS.

·
Registered
'22 MT GR86 Grey
214 Posts
I'm sorry but I somehow missed this reply in my notifications. That looks spectacular! The thing that catches my eye is the Satnav. I really miss that in this car! I don't like relying on a maps app on my phone over Airplay. They don't work anyway when there's no cell signal, which is frequent in the US when you are off the beaten path where the good roads are found. There's a lot to be said for the simplicity and reliability of true GPS in a car system.
So it's actually not a true satnav - insofar that it doesn't keep a huge offline map database or anything. This is an Android head unit, so it can use any app that an Android device can use including Google Maps, but as I'm in Japan I actually use a Japan-specific navigation app. However the head unit does use its own independent GPS module, so it tends to be a lot more accurate than my phone.

As someone else mentioned though, satnav isn't a total necessity even when you're out of cell signal range - it's still possible to download offline versions of maps/areas where you're driving. This is what I tend to do, just so it's not eating as much data as I'm driving around - I can sync on wifi before heading out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
OEM+ has the first part of the '22 kit ready. It's just the 6 speakers in the front, but they have amp/sub coming. I just received my 6 speaker kit yesterday, and its a HUGE improvement over stock. It probably won;t win over any audiophiles, but for plug n play, 30min install, its probably about as good as it gets.

·
Registered
14 Posts
2022+ BRZ/86 - OEM Audio Plus

Has anyone seen or know anything about this kit? I'm not looking for crazy bass or world class audio. Just a decent set up. If this $400 kit gets me there, it's a no brainer. Any thoughts?
Installed it this morning, sounds great. It really fills out the bottom end immediately. I only have about 5 minutes listening to it, and haven't touched the equalizer, but its a huge improvement over stock.

·
Registered
615 Posts
OEM+ has the first part of the '22 kit ready. It's just the 6 speakers in the front, but they have amp/sub coming. I just received my 6 speaker kit yesterday, and its a HUGE improvement over stock. It probably won;t win over any audiophiles, but for plug n play, 30min install, its probably about as good as it gets.
Awesome, I’ll be getting this upgrade soon. Just trying to find an installer who knows WTF they are doing. I can’t, I’m an idiot.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Awesome, I’ll be getting this upgrade soon. Just trying to find an installer who knows WTF they are doing. I can’t, I’m an idiot.
It's SUPER easy. 10mm wrench, panel tool, and a phillips screwdriver. Literally took me about 30min to do the whole thing. They have the install video for the earlier cars on their website. Dash speaker install is exactly the same for the '22.

For the doors, the panels come off a little bit differently, but I found a video on YouTube for the '22 that was super easy to follow.

OEM+ should have the '22 install video done soon. Regardless, they are quick to answer email questions.

·
Registered
2022 White BRZ
256 Posts
It's SUPER easy. 10mm wrench, panel tool, and a phillips screwdriver. Literally took me about 30min to do the whole thing. They have the install video for the earlier cars on their website. Dash speaker install is exactly the same for the '22.

For the doors, the panels come off a little bit differently, but I found a video on YouTube for the '22 that was super easy to follow.

OEM+ should have the '22 install video done soon. Regardless, they are quick to answer email questions.
they dont have the sub/amp yet, right? all I see are the speaker upgrades.

·
Registered
2023 GR86 Premium MT
20 Posts
Do you have the 8 speaker system w/amp or the 6 speaker system? Also what's the difference from the two kits on their site? It has the same description for speaker setups. Did you get a lot more bass or is it mostly just more clear and does it crackle or sound staticky at higher volumes?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Do you have the 8 speaker system w/amp or the 6 speaker system? Also what's the difference from the two kits on their site? It has the same description for speaker setups. Did you get a lot more bass or is it mostly just more clear and does it crackle or sound staticky at higher volumes?
I have the 8 speaker setup. Not sure the difference between the 2 they have. I did get a lot fuller bottom end, especially from sustained low notes. Bass drum kicks are always going to need a sub to really come through, but still improved over stock. The mid/high sound is cleaner and crisper, likely due to the in-line filter they provided.

I've only turned it up to about half, but much higher than I was able to with the stock system without massive distortion from the door speakers. I don't know if I'll complete the system from them or be happy with what I have now, but regardless, I'm happy with the purchase.

·
Registered
45 Posts
On the topic of install, have they come out with speaker adapters to plug in to the factory speaker harness? Not going with OEM brand and i'd hat to have to cut the factory clip to install aftermarket door speakers. I took a look on Crutchfield but they have nothing for our cars yet.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Do you have the 8 speaker system w/amp or the 6 speaker system? Also what's the difference from the two kits on their site?
I sent OEM Audio + a message to ask what the difference was between the 2 options they offer but they didnt really answer. My guess is the 8 speaker system gets 6 speakers and the 6 speaker system gets 4. They did say that the rear speakers stay put as they weren't able to improve on them yet.

I just ordered their speaker upgrade kit for the 8 speaker system. For those interested its worth noting these are made to order so they wont ship out for 1-2 weeks.

On the topic of install, have they come out with speaker adapters to plug in to the factory speaker harness? Not going with OEM brand and i'd hat to have to cut the factory clip to install aftermarket door speakers. I took a look on Crutchfield but they have nothing for our cars yet.
My understanding is they these are made to be plug and play.

From their FAQ: FAQ - OEM Audio Plus

Is this system truly plug-and-play? And can I install it myself?
Yes! The engineers at OEM Audio Plus have gone to great lengths to ensure your system integrates seamlessly into the vehicle. Our factory-match connectors assure clean and straightforward connections, and we design them for use behind the factory radio, at the amplifier(s), and in every speaker connection. Wiring can be daunting, and we’ve taken care of that for you! The remaining parts of the installation are mainly removing and replacing interior panels.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My understanding is they these are made to be plug and play.

From their FAQ: FAQ - OEM Audio Plus

Is this system truly plug-and-play? And can I install it myself?
Yes! The engineers at OEM Audio Plus have gone to great lengths to ensure your system integrates seamlessly into the vehicle. Our factory-match connectors assure clean and straightforward connections, and we design them for use behind the factory radio, at the amplifier(s), and in every speaker connection. Wiring can be daunting, and we’ve taken care of that for you! The remaining parts of the installation are mainly removing and replacing interior panels.
They are if you go with their brand. I'm not planning on going with them (OEM). I have an aftermarket 3way comp set I plan to use. So I'd like to see if anyone has found clip adapters or what they did to add the aftermarket speakers.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Does anyone have experience with Match or similar?

It's a German company, they finetune the OEM speakers individually after installing a new amplifier and add an optional sub and claim to achieve great results.
I received a quote for 1300€ including tax, seems a bit steep.

Product Font Camera accessory Automotive tire Electronic device

Azure Font Rectangle Parallel Plot

Rectangle Audio equipment Circle Public address system Font

·
Registered
2022 GR86 Base MT
61 Posts
I sent OEM Audio + a message to ask what the difference was between the 2 options they offer but they didnt really answer. My guess is the 8 speaker system gets 6 speakers and the 6 speaker system gets 4. They did say that the rear speakers stay put as they weren't able to improve on them yet.
Can confirm that the 6 speaker system gets 4.

·
Registered
Raven Black GR86 Premium 6MT
337 Posts
They’re the standard speaker plugs toyota has been using for decades, metra 72-8104 will work.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts