Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new 2022 BRZ Limited 6MT - I value decent audio - I don't need audiophile quality but the stock audio I find pretty bad. I'm looking for upgrade recs, any suggestions? Any success in replacing the speakers only? Or is it mostly the amp/head unit? What have people done?

·
Registered
2022 BRZ Sport-Tech 6MT, WR Blue
47 Posts
Any success in replacing the speakers only? Or is it mostly the amp/head unit? What have people done?
I have yet to see anything on the internet about replacing components on the 22 models, and I share your concerns. I don't need my car to be "the best audio experience on wheels" but man oh man is this car rough around the edges. I know a company sold a complete makeover kit for the last models including a sub in the trunk.

It's been almost 20 years since I've had to do car audio; I guess I've been spoiled. I was thinking of starting with a speaker replacement. Nothing more, no cutting, just replace the existing speakers.

·
Registered
2022 Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have yet to see anything on the internet about replacing components on the 22 models, and I share your concerns. I don't need my car to be "the best audio experience on wheels" but man oh man is this car rough around the edges. I know a company sold a complete makeover kit for the last models including a sub in the trunk.

It's been almost 20 years since I've had to do car audio; I guess I've been spoiled. I was thinking of starting with a speaker replacement. Nothing more, no cutting, just replace the existing speakers.
Yes! It is a bit rough around the edges, I posted on a reddit sub about the audio, someone replied the best place to start is probably replacing the factory amp and door speakers, seems reasonable and not too expensive. The other product with the woofer in the trunk is by a company called OEM AudioPlus, it's a total replacement and costs about $1600.

·
Registered
2022 BRZ Base Ignition Red
102 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Toyota GR86 base model in automatic transmission
20 Posts
I have a new 2022 BRZ Limited 6MT - I value decent audio - I don't need audiophile quality but the stock audio I find pretty bad. I'm looking for upgrade recs, any suggestions? Any success in replacing the speakers only? Or is it mostly the amp/head unit? What have people done?
I’ve been wondering the same thing. I really would like to put a 12in shallow mount sub and a 4 channel amp for the sub and the door speakers

·
Registered
2022 GR86 Track Bred Premium MT
1,159 Posts
I highly recommend Hertz brand speakers. I had them in my 2001 MR2 and have them in my 2013 Prius. I just replaced the door speakers in both cars. I also had sound deadening material installed which helped a lot.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Would be awesome if the amps are easily upgradeable. On one of my previous cars, I was able to use an Alpine KTP-445U I think, super small amp that fit behind the head unit and didn't need dedicated power from the battery. Made a world of difference. If the Amps on the BRZ are replaceable this will be amazing news.

·
Registered
2022 White BRZ
255 Posts
If anyone is looking for a solution that is made specifically for the brz, take a look at a company called "OEM Audio Plus". They made a replacement for the original 86/brz that I can first-hand say was incredible. No splicing needed, but it was a decently long install. It also was a bit pricey, but my .02 is its totally worth it.
I reached out to the company and they have confirmed they are making a kit for the 2022 models. The old ones do not fit the current gen.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Anyone opened up the rear seat speakers yet? Curious how to difficult it is to get to with popping panels, etc.
Like to consider replacing these with something of a higher quality.

Yes, they are approx 3" full range speakers that take around 35w max. They dont appear to be anything to write home about.

Removing the rear panels is almost identical to the old generation and is fairly easy.

I am going to be putting some new speakers in within the next few months and I'll be sure to post pics of the process when I do.

Has anyone taken the stock headunit out? Would like to know if we are limited to hi level outs or if there are any low level outs.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I added a ZSTAT 12in sub in a loaded box. Took up a lot of my trunk space. Also added a Sony 6/5 channel class d amp. Model XM-GS6DSP Sounds pretty darn good. Would like to replace the back rear speakers and maybe the tweeters up front.

·
Registered
20 Posts
What LOC did you use to add the amp? Or what/how did you use?
I had an audio shop do it for me Nortons Stereo. With this amp I can still use the fader control on the head unit. They installed a knob under the dash so I can control the Bass. I had the guy to take out the fake engine noise module that was coming through the speakers. He said that would cause a big problem with the sound if it wasn’t removed

·
Registered
Raven Black GR86 Premium 6MT
337 Posts
Has anyone been able to find the impedance for all the speakers on the limited trim, or could those who have removed them post what they are? Thanks.
Subaru’s test specs for the door speakers are 2.9-3.9 ohms for non-amplified and 2.6-3.2 ohms for amplified models. They don’t have any specs listed for the instrument panel speakers or the tweeters, though. Rear speaker spec is 3.8-4.6 ohms on all models.

·
Registered
337 Posts
When you say the radio output to the trunk amplifier are "low level" are you meaning frequency or voltage?
Voltage. I measured the signal at 0.1-2v AC.

As far as frequency goes, I have not RTA’d the signal wires yet but using 50/100/150hz test tones while metering the front speaker signal wires, voltage rose linearly with volume all the way to the top. There do not appear to be any bass frequencies removed via crossover and there is no bass rolloff at high volume. I am not sure if this holds true for the base model vehicles, as i do not have one to test.
Rear speakers appear to have most bass removed.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Voltage. I measured the signal at 0.1-2v AC.

As far as frequency goes, I have not RTA’d the signal wires yet but using 50/100/150hz test tones while metering the front speaker signal wires, voltage rose linearly with volume all the way to the top. There do not appear to be any bass frequencies removed via crossover and there is no bass rolloff at high volume. I am not sure if this holds true for the base model vehicles, as i do not have one to test.
Rear speakers appear to have most bass removed.
Perfect, thank you for this. I am currently waiting for my fancy multi meter to test this out myself, so it will be interesting to see if my numbers correlate. On this (by the way I am a novice), how critical is it to use a test tone - couldn't you just play a normal music track to test the output voltage?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Perfect, thank you for this. I am currently waiting for my fancy multi meter to test this out myself, so it will be interesting to see if my numbers correlate. On this (by the way I am a novice), how critical is it to use a test tone - couldn't you just play a normal music track to test the output voltage?
I did test the output voltage with a normal track. The test tones were used to verify if any frequencies were crossed over or rolled off at high volumes, this is common in most modern vehicles. Fortunately the twins are still rolloff-free.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts