Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven’t really seen anyone mention the track bred. I don’t usually go for red cars but it was the only ones available.

I’ve seen pictures and videos but irl it could be much different. I did see the 22 brz in red in person. I thought it looks good but wondering if it’s something I can live with. I keep cars for a long time.

anyone order the red right off the bat? What was the deciding factor?

Just trying to justify the color before making the purchase. I think mine arrives this week and have to make a decision. I like the color but sometimes feel it’s a loud color.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Haven’t really seen anyone mention the track bred. I don’t usually go for red cars but it was the only ones available.

I’ve seen pictures and videos but irl it could be much different. I did see the 22 brz in red in person. I thought it looks good but wondering if it’s something I can live with. I keep cars for a long time.

Just trying to justify the color before making the purchase. I think mine arrives this week and have to make a decision. I like the color but sometimes feel it’s a loud color.
That’s my first choice. I really like the way it looks
in red. Never owned a red car before. Raven and Pavement were my next 2 choices.

·
Registered
2022 GR86 MT Track bRed
6 Posts
I did! It was either that or Neptune. I ended up going with red as my current 86 is blue and I wanted something different. I'm supposed to receive it between 1/10 -1/15!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was super pessimistic about availability, due to the chip shortage and all, so initially I just wanted any non-black color in either trim, as long as it was fitted with a manual transmission and sold at msrp. As time passed, I realized the red just attracted me the most over the other colors from watching countless review videos and pictures. I have a buddy who has a Neptune blue 2020, and I'm kinda aware how he fawns over his perceived exclusivity of the color, so I decided to not get a Neptune blue, despite really liking the color. I really lucked out on the allocation for the GR86 I put a deposit down this early into the life of the 2nd gen; just a base model in Track bRed with a manual sold at msrp.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Red is definitely my first choice, we'll see if I can even get one before too long. Hoping for before February but things aren't looking promising for that :confused:
For me red on a sports car just feels right, red is my favorite color also. Otherwise, I'd go with dark blue or dark grey.

·
Registered
181 Posts
At first I was all gaga over the Neptune, but for whatever reason I think I would tire of that color after a while -- just an instinct I went with. So I ordered a Track bRed. I've always liked red cars, but haven't really owned any. Another factor is that I think all the black pieces contrast best with the red, though oddly enough I think the white is about at the same level. If I didn't already have a white car, I might've ordered white, but the more I look at the red, the more I like it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
OP: If you saw in person an Ignition Red BRZ, then you know what to expect with the Track BRed GR86 - it's the same paint. It's also a special paint in that there are two different color basecoats under the clear coat. Hence the extra cost. And hence the dynamic behaviour.

I didn't think that I was a bright red car guy either (in my 50's, not really an extrovert, with two small kids in the car) but it just really works on a little coupe with black accents. (A black wrapped roof might also look good with this color, or is that too 2011?). Screw it if I get a little more attention. It's my experience that these cars already get noticed. I do like that this red tends towards orange rather than blue. (I posted a video of a red BRZ compared to a Guards Red 911, and they look almost the same). Check out the thread on Ignition Red for some excellent pics. It's definitely brighter than the outgoing red. Strangely, though, this new red doesn't seem to work at all on the new WRX.

I currently have a white BRZ and I think it looks very classy, while also not needing much washing. The pearl effect is really nice. After 4 years, I am still not tired of it. Even though there are tons of white cars on the road, there aren't that many white sports cars. And this white is just a nicer shade than any other white out there. So my initial impulse was to go with white again. But I decided I needed a change. And after seeing the new red in the flesh, I fell in love with it.

Had this been a more cerebral decision arrived at by elimination, I would still have chosen red. I will never do black again. Like black, the dark grey needs to be washed daily or just looks drab. The silver is way too blue in all but direct sunlight, and is on every Impreza and Forester in my neighborhood. (Sure, silver shows the sculpting best. But seeing as the side sills are a bit overdone, I'm OK with losing out on this.) The dark blue is classy and a rare color, but is not available on a BRZ in my country. The light blue just isn't for me. That leaves white and red. Can't go wrong with either.

So, as Seinfeld says, I guess I now need to grow a mustache and buy all kinds of robes and lotions!

Cheers

·
Registered
51 Posts
OP: If you saw in person an Ignition Red BRZ, then you know what to expect with the Track BRed GR86 - it's the same paint. It's also a special paint in that there are two different color basecoats under the clear coat. Hence the extra cost. And hence the dynamic behaviour.

I didn't think that I was a bright red car guy either (in my 50's, not really an extrovert, with two small kids in the car) but it just really works on a little coupe with black accents. (A black wrapped roof might also look good with this color, or is that too 2011?). Screw it if I get a little more attention. It's my experience that these cars already get noticed. I do like that this red tends towards orange rather than blue. (I posted a video of a red BRZ compared to a Guards Red 911, and they look almost the same). Check out the thread on Ignition Red for some excellent pics. It's definitely brighter than the outgoing red. Strangely, though, this new red doesn't seem to work at all on the new WRX.

I currently have a white BRZ and I think it looks very classy, while also not needing much washing. The pearl effect is really nice. After 4 years, I am still not tired of it. Even though there are tons of white cars on the road, there aren't that many white sports cars. And this white is just a nicer shade than any other white out there. So my initial impulse was to go with white again. But I decided I needed a change. And after seeing the new red in the flesh, I fell in love with it.

Had this been a more cerebral decision arrived at by elimination, I would still have chosen red. I will never do black again. Like black, the dark grey needs to be washed daily or just looks drab. The silver is way too blue in all but direct sunlight, and is on every Impreza and Forester in my neighborhood. (Sure, silver shows the sculpting best. But seeing as the side sills are a bit overdone, I'm OK with losing out on this.) The dark blue is classy and a rare color, but is not available on a BRZ in my country. The light blue just isn't for me. That leaves white and red. Can't go wrong with either.

So, as Seinfeld says, I guess I now need to grow a mustache and buy all kinds of robes and lotions!

Cheers
That was the same logic that led me to choose red as well. I liked white quite a lot at first but from certain angles white was making the side skirts look too strong for me. In Red they seem to blend with the lines a bit better to my eyes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
i’m currently looking for an allocation for a red 86 atm but i can’t find any in the south eastern region

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All good ideas and thoughts. I have similar feelings about the red.

I originally wanted white as all my previous cars are white. I guess I’m asking and trying to justify the red because there is a slight markup for the one that is arriving soon.

the more I look at the more I like it. It does look better than the previous models red.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I've been extensively studying the red in pictures and videos. It's a very interesting red in that it can look so different depending on what kind of light it's under. Just like the most interesting looking women, not necessarily the most beautiful, but the most interesting -- they can look very different depending on the light they're under. Wow, now that I've just written that, it occurred to me that I've always kind of had a thing for redheads. It's all starting to make sense now, lol.

·
Registered
132 Posts
What could be a big plus for Ignition Red / Track BRed is that it likely won't be used by Subaru as one of its mainstream colors, and therefore should remain "special". It looks like it will only be shared with the WRX/STI. (Less exciting cars will be getting one of three darker and tamer red pearls or Pure Red for the Crosstrek.) So an exclusive paint might be worth that $500 premium.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's also a special paint in that there are two different color basecoats under the clear coat. Hence the extra cost. And hence the dynamic behaviour.
Is the paint finish metallic? Hoping it's not - I had a pearl white and it was a pain to match colours at the bodyshop.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Not metallic or pearl. Just gloss. But probably still a little challenging to reproduce by hand because the second color layer has to be of a uniform thickness. Of course it will be more expensive to repair since more paint and more time are required.

·
Registered
132 Posts
My answer just made me think that it might be heavier, so the weight weenies from the other thread need not apply :)

·
Registered
2022 GR86 Premium
2 Posts

Waiting for my red GR 86 to come in sometime this month. Red is sexy... nuff said;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts