Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told we should start seeing Vin numbers when the car is a month out. Seeing as mine is supposed to be an October build, I should be getting it any day. Anyone else have theirs yet?

Registered
I was told we should start seeing Vin numbers when the car is a month out. Seeing as mine is supposed to be an October build, I should be getting it any day. Anyone else have theirs yet?
No, all I have is a VON. 馃槬 I cannot wait until the first pics are posted.

Registered
22 BRZ
Nope, not expecting mine for a bit though. I have a December delivery. Would love to get my car at the end of November and take it to a car show we have here at the beginning of December.

Registered
I was told to expect a VIN a few weeks before delivery. Mine is supposed to arrive in November, probably near the end of it.

Registered
They should have a VIN before the car goes into production. Considering that the trip from Japan will take a while, plus the rail trip across the US/Canada, I would think getting a VIN about a month before makes sense.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They should have a VIN before the car goes into production. Considering that the trip from Japan will take a while, plus the rail trip across the US/Canada, I would think getting a VIN about a month before makes sense.
I was informed that Subaru's coming from Japan don't get a VIN attached to them until they are already on the ship heading this way.

Registered
I am not an expert in car manufacturing, but IMHO I think we are talking about a difference in tracking the VIN. For example, I am sure the VIN is generated and installed on the car in the assembly line process. Once the car is complete the VIN may be put into a database or spreadsheet locally at the manufacture. Then the car is put through some basic tests it must pass. If it passes all its initial tests then the VIN can be put into the corporate database or Subaru of Japan's database. SOJ does not want a lot of VINs that are not going to be sold in their system or database. Then once it is set to ship to the US the VIN is then transfer from Subaru of Japan's database to Subaru of America's database. This is why we or SOA does not know about the VIN until it is already shipping to the US. It would be silly to expect SOA to know from SOJ that now your doors are being installed on VIN number X.

Registered
2022 BRZ Sport-Tech 6MT, WR Blue
I am not an expert in car manufacturing, but IMHO I think we are talking about a difference in tracking the VIN. For example, I am sure the VIN is generated and installed on the car in the assembly line process. Once the car is complete the VIN may be put into a database or spreadsheet locally at the manufacture. Then the car is put through some basic tests it must pass. If it passes all its initial tests then the VIN can be put into the corporate database or Subaru of Japan's database. SOJ does not want a lot of VINs that are not going to be sold in their system or database. Then once it is set to ship to the US the VIN is then transfer from Subaru of Japan's database to Subaru of America's database. This is why we or SOA does not know about the VIN until it is already shipping to the US. It would be silly to expect SOA to know from SOJ that now your doors are being installed on VIN number X.
I have a VIN for mine. I was told a week ago "its on a boat to BC", but I was at the dealer last week to finish up the paperwork and was told it's "slated for production in October".. so now I have conflicting information.

What gives me hope that its actually on a boat (as I was originally told) was that I have a VIN. I don't think they'd risk sending out serial numbers all the way to the dealer here in Canada if it wasn't a sure thing.. which means it's off the assembly line.

Registered
Aww I was hoping the NA cars wouldn't have that recessed exhaust that the press cars had. The ones in japan look like they have the exhaust tips sticking out a bit further.

Also that's a lot of WRB!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Aww I was hoping the NA cars wouldn't have that recessed exhaust that the press cars had. The ones in japan look like they have the exhaust tips sticking out a bit further.

I thought the same thing with all the blue haha

At least the exhaust is an easy fix!

Registered

I thought the same thing with all the blue haha

At least the exhaust is an easy fix!

Registered
2022 BRZ Sport-Tech 6MT, WR Blue
VIN or VON?

If it's a VIN then the car is at least being prepped for transport, if not on a ship already.
Sorry for the late reply. I have a complete car purchase and sale agreement, and on it is the VIN. I am being told it's the value I should use to purchase insurance for it. So. uh.. VIN?!!

Registered
I have a VIN for mine. I was told a week ago "its on a boat to BC", but I was at the dealer last week to finish up the paperwork and was told it's "slated for production in October".. so now I have conflicting information.

What gives me hope that its actually on a boat (as I was originally told) was that I have a VIN. I don't think they'd risk sending out serial numbers all the way to the dealer here in Canada if it wasn't a sure thing.. which means it's off the assembly line.
I got the VIN and I hope I can get my car late this month. Ive heard that the vessel has arrived Vancouver where I am currently living in but my dealer said my car would arrive between mid and late Nov so I am really thinking of if my car is the same batch with these.

Registered
The closest car buying experience was when I ordered my Tesla. Vin was given 2 days after I ordered, then a week later the car was ready for pick up at the dealer. Maybe Subaru was similar?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts