Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Not by much, 86 will be here in November/early December
Yup, but I'll have my BRZ next month, and if someone is REALLY itching for one, an estimated Nov/Dec might be too far. And with covid out breaks and chip shortages, that date might get pushed further for the GR, I hope not for everyone waiting here though.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Went to the dealer yesterday, absolute waste of time.

The person I talked to on the phone confirmed to me that I could leave a $1000 refundable deposit, when I showed up the guy had zero idea what I was talking about. He looked at me like I was just walking into dealers and hoping to throw a deposit down because he kept saying "We don't have this car in stock" "How can we take a deposit when we don't know MSRP"

I talked to a manager over there and he said they wouldn't be comfortable taking my deposit and could not promise me MSRP because of the chip shortage, he said how people will come into his dealer and put a 1k deposit and pay whatever price for the car with their markup no problem which I doubt, no logical person does that. He gave me an example "What if someone was willing to pay 10k markup, then obviously we would take them"

They told me they'd give me a call as soon as they get an allocation though, will have to talk to other dealers in the meantime. I think I might go with another dealer because this one left a bad taste in my mouth
You’d be surprised what people are willing to do. Lmao.

Think about all the people who MUST HAVE the car on release, then imagine some of those people going “I’ll pay 35k+ if I’m one of the first people to get one.” All just to trade it in down the road.

keep calling around and see who’s willing to honor you.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
You’d be surprised what people are willing to do. Lmao.

Think about all the people who MUST HAVE the car on release, then imagine some of those people going “I’ll pay 35k+ if I’m one of the first people to get one.” All just to trade it in down the road.

keep calling around and see who’s willing to honor you.
Called my dealer today and he pledged not a penny over MSRP, good dealers do exists you just have to do an unfortunate amount of searching.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Called my dealer today and he pledged not a penny over MSRP, good dealers do exists you just have to do an unfortunate amount of searching.
It’s very possible, I’m just saying it doesn’t help when you have people being crazy and willing to do anything for a new car

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
It’s very possible, I’m just saying it doesn’t help when you have people being crazy and willing to do anything for a new car
Bigger dealerships are a much better bet because they have more of a reputation to uphold‘s and are less cash hungry than the smaller dealerships. My dealership is the largest in the state of Virginia.

·
Registered
4 Posts
When would y'all say are you in a position to afford a car like this? I know its a broad question, but its something I've been asking myself. I earn 1.8k a month (after taxes) and been saving for a year. If I keep on saving I should have around 35k to 40k and I've been planning to just pay the car upfront. Would y'all consider this a good place to be in to afford a car like this? (EU)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
When would y'all say are you in a position to afford a car like this? I know its a broad question, but its something I've been asking myself. I earn 1.8k a month (after taxes) and been saving for a year. If I keep on saving I should have around 35k to 40k and I've been planning to just pay the car upfront. Would y'all consider this a good place to be in to afford a car like this? (EU)
I make 2.2k a month (USA) and I’m pulling the trigger lol!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Would recommend sticking with financing if you're young to help build credit, sure it's nice buying the car up front but I think if you can get someone to cosign with good credit/or you have good credit then you'd be able to get a low APR. Car payments are a great way to build credit, also should save a decent amount of your money for emergency expenses

I'm 24 in North NJ and make about 3300 a month after taxes, in the process of switching jobs to where I can make close to 4k a month (which is the main reason I'm ok w switching to this car). Cost of living is really fucking high here though so a good amount (1500) goes to my monthly rent and expenses. I think this price bracket is the max I would go for a car (35-40k) in my current living situation

·
Super Moderator
241 Posts
Stephen answered it perfectly, yes there’s a lot of love and hype for it but Toyota won’t sell many of these at all. The 86 and BRZ combined sold around like 50,000 cars across all years which is about what Ford sells of the Mustang in a single year.
I've saw it mentioned in the press that there has been close to a combined 300k sold of the 86/BRZ worldwide.

Toyota with about 200k, Subaru just under 100k cars. Subaru sold 42k just in the US.

This is why we are getting a 2nd edition.

Will it sell that well again? Who knows. It should, and realistically with it now satisfying a broader range of buyers with some far more suitable power output, its a bigger market overall for it.

I just hope US emission controls don't cut its production life, they kind of need the US market.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I've saw it mentioned in the press that there has been close to a combined 300k sold of the 86/BRZ worldwide.

Toyota with about 200k, Subaru just under 100k cars. Subaru sold 42k just in the US.

This is why we are getting a 2nd edition.

Will it sell that well again? Who knows. It should, and realistically with it now satisfying a broader range of buyers with some far more suitable power output, its a bigger market overall for it.

I just hope US emission controls don't cut its production life, they kind of need the US market.
There’s more that factored in us getting a second Gen. In reality the Twins sales are still kind of low, but by the 2 companies partnering and splitting costs, they probably made enough back.

Similar situation to the Supra in a way where the critics say the Supra has terrible sales because it’s mostly BMW, when in reality Toyota probably saved more money by only putting a fraction of costs in building the vehicle.

Sales of the new Gen will probably follow in the footsteps of the previous model I believe. First couple years will be hot because it’s a new car, sales will slowly get lower (with some early adopters trading in their car). If this whole EV craze really takes over, you might see a sales spike in its final year or two.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Would recommend sticking with financing if you're young to help build credit, sure it's nice buying the car up front but I think if you can get someone to cosign with good credit/or you have good credit then you'd be able to get a low APR. Car payments are a great way to build credit, also should save a decent amount of your money for emergency expenses

I'm 24 in North NJ and make about 3300 a month after taxes, in the process of switching jobs to where I can make close to 4k a month (which is the main reason I'm ok w switching to this car). Cost of living is really fucking high here though so a good amount (1500) goes to my monthly rent and expenses. I think this price bracket is the max I would go for a car (35-40k) in my current living situation
In germany you dont really build credit by financing stuff, you mainly build it with all your payments being on point, without missing any of them, which I thankfully never did so far. So my credit score rn is pretty much all positive, nothing negative. I'll think about it tho, maybe i'll just go with a high downpayment and finance the rest. Also jesus man 4k is a lot, but your rent costs are really high. Rn im paying 500 for a decent apartment.

·
Registered
16 Posts
In germany you dont really build credit by financing stuff, you mainly build it with all your payments being on point, without missing any of them, which I thankfully never did so far. So my credit score rn is pretty much all positive, nothing negative. I'll think about it tho, maybe i'll just go with a high downpayment and finance the rest. Also jesus man 4k is a lot, but your rent costs are really high. Rn im paying 500 for a decent apartment.
ah ok ok gotcha yeah then I mean it'd be up to you, not really sure how it works in Germany.

But yes rent is crazy high here.. my apartment is actually $2000 per month for a 2 bedroom split with a roommate and that's considered really cheap for my area. One bedroom is usually $1750, 2 bedrooms are usually $2500-$3000+.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
The Corolla Cross reveal today told us a lot about Toyota reveals, the Cross was released today (9/9/21) and will be at dealer lots in October just a month away. Safe to assume to 86 will be the same and the late release is no indication of a delay!

·
Registered
2022 Toyota GR86 Deposit Placed
2 Posts
For what it's worth, while talking to someone at my local Toyota dealership to place a deposit down yesterday, the rep told me the MSRP was $27,xx5. I can't remember the two inside numbers, but she sounded fairly confident.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
For what it's worth, while talking to someone at my local Toyota dealership to place a deposit down yesterday, the rep told me the MSRP was $27,xx5. I can't remember the two inside numbers, but she sounded fairly confident.
Exciting news! I too have awesome news! Spoke to my dealer yesterday and he confirmed my car was in production though they won’t know the current status until the end of this month so I won’t know when I will get it until then! I provided him with all my specifications and since I had placed a deposit down they went ahead and ordered it as soon as the could. From my understanding they actually submitted their order for my car back in August so I’m hoping to get it in November as is planned. Either way I’m feeling very blessed to be getting one and while I haven’t heard pricing like you have that sounds about right! It’s getting close boys!

·
Registered
609 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
What are you driving at the moment and how do you think you'll spec your 86?
How much was the deposit?

·
Registered
2022 Toyota GR86 Deposit Placed
2 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
What are you driving at the moment and how do you think you'll spec your 86?
How much was the deposit?
Yo, thanks for the welcome. I share a Toyota Yaris with my wife right now, since we both work from home. I just want a black MT, I'll take base or premium lol. Deposit was $500, has anyone else placed one yet?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Yo, thanks for the welcome. I share a Toyota Yaris with my wife right now, since we both work from home. I just want a black MT, I'll take base or premium lol. Deposit was $500, has anyone else placed one yet?
I have one that has been ordered, basically my dealer took the one they were already getting since they are a really big dealer and since I was first they specced the one they are getting to what I wanted mine to be. Ik it’s going to be a halo white premium auto but I'm not sure about what all accessories it will come with or when I’m going to get it, my dealer said he would know more by the end of this month.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had to wait 60 years to be rich enough to afford a sports car. I was 49 when I bought my first new car. I have walked a marathon in your shoes. I would normally counsel people from getting what they may struggle to buy. This however is different. The GR 86 is almost certainly the best and last affordable ICE sports car. In my twenties, you bought Porsche for these specifications and unless you were rich, it was just a dream. viel Glück

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had to wait 60 years to be rich enough to afford a sports car. I was 49 when I bought my first new car. I have walked a marathon in your shoes. I would normally counsel people from getting what they may struggle to buy. This however is different. The GR 86 is almost certainly the best and last affordable ICE sports car. In my twenties, you bought Porsche for these specifications and unless you were rich, it was just a dream. viel Glück
Thanks, I really appreciate the advice and what you said is pretty much exactly whats going through my mind. I obviously dont want to risk being financially unstable, but I think its something that I can afford, if my saving plan holds up and its one of the few things I really want to buy, even if a car itself isnt necessarily a smart purchase, but it's something that gives me joy. Also im honestly just so excited for this car. 😀

61 - 80 of 80 Posts