Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was told it will be 39k € here in my country. Was at my local dealership today for them to evaluate my car and I was told this was the MSRP for the base model

·
Registered
101 Posts
Gotcha gotcha I just did some research into that and that is very true, do you think dealers will try to push for markup? I'm turning 25 soon and to be quite honest this will be the first time I'll be purchasing a new car by myself. If they do say they are planning on marking up I could just say no problem and I'll shop at another dealer right? If dealers are aware of the small number of sales for the BRZ/86 then hopefully I can have the upper hand when I walk in

actually have an appointment today after work to talk to somebody about it, excited!
There are LOTS of websites with tips on how to buy a car and what to say and not say to a dealer. Do a Google search. One of the most important things is DO NOT LET THE DEALER SEE YOU ARE EXCITED ABOUT THE CAR.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
There are LOTS of websites with tips on how to buy a car and what to say and not say to a dealer. Do a Google search. One of the most important things is DO NOT LET THE DEALER SEE YOU ARE EXCITED ABOUT THE CAR.
This is something I have really badly let show 😬 Me and my dealer have kept in regular contact for over a month now about the car. He’s a younger dude like me and honestly he seems just as excited as I am and sends me all the latest news and updates which is why I have a decent amount of info regarding the car. Hopefully this isn’t a death sentence for me 😅😅

·
Registered
16 Posts
This is something I have really badly let show 😬 Me and my dealer have kept in regular contact for over a month now about the car. He’s a younger dude like me and honestly he seems just as excited as I am and sends me all the latest news and updates which is why I have a decent amount of info regarding the car. Hopefully this isn’t a death sentence for me 😅😅
Hahah yes also likewise, I didn't mention that I really want it but I may have sounded excited over it. Regardless, I will let it be known to the dealer that I will not be paying markup, if they do plan to mark it up I will firmly let them know I'll be shopping elsewhere. In my area of North NJ/NYC we have a plethora of Toyota dealers here and everyone is in competition with everyone, if they really want to give up the sale of a car to try and get an extra 500-1k then so be it.

My older friend has bought and leased plenty of cars, he's usually in and out of the dealer within an hour or so. Just state the price you'll pay, if they don't like it then that's ok. Tell them to call back if they decide to stoop down to your price and shop elsewhere in the meantime until a dealer agrees on it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Awesome man! I’m 19 and this is the first one I’ll be buying as well though I will co-sign with my dad for cheaper APR. What I’m going to do if they markup is just act completely uninterested and just say I’ll go with another dealership. I’m going to add about 6k in accessories to mine so I expect my final price to be around 36-38k. They know they won’t be able to sell a 40k 86 with markups lol.
I would advise you to start with the car as stock. Drive the car and get to know it. Save your money on accessories until you’ve owned the car for a while. Also, keep in mind that if you add anything aftermarket to the car, you will not recover any of the money spent when you decide to sell the car or trade it in for another car. Do some research on buying a car so you know what to do and not do when you buy the car.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I would advise you to start with the car as stock. Drive the car and get to know it. Save your money on accessories until you’ve owned the car for a while. Also, keep in mind that if you add anything aftermarket to the car, you will not recover any of the money spent when you decide to sell the car or trade it in for another car. Do some research on buying a car so you know what to do and not do when you buy the car.
Good advice to follow. As I said I'm almost 25, I've driven absolute stock beaters from 17-22 and shared a car with my dad for a bit. I graduated college, grinded hard for a job, and purchased my 2020 Civic Si myself and it was my first time I got to modify a car comfortably. Now I'm in the process of moving jobs to a much better one and life is much better when you can comfortably modify a car without meaning to scrape pennies to buy parts. Then again nobody knows your financial situation @DRFT86 so just make sure you modify within your budget.

Plus winter is coming soon so it'll leave plenty time to save for next car season. First thing I'm doing when I get the GR86 is window tints and purchasing some snow tires/wheels, maybe an exhaust if something good comes out. Then saving until snow season is over

·
Registered
101 Posts
He’s not your friend. I know buying a new car is exciting, but keep in mind that the salesman’s job is to separate you from as much money as he can. Do the research I recommended, and you will end up with a much better deal. Don’t mean to be a buzz kill. I’m 60 and I’ve seen all the tricks.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Hahah yes also likewise, I didn't mention that I really want it but I may have sounded excited over it. Regardless, I will let it be known to the dealer that I will not be paying markup, if they do plan to mark it up I will firmly let them know I'll be shopping elsewhere. In my area of North NJ/NYC we have a plethora of Toyota dealers here and everyone is in competition with everyone, if they really want to give up the sale of a car to try and get an extra 500-1k then so be it.

My older friend has bought and leased plenty of cars, he's usually in and out of the dealer within an hour or so. Just state the price you'll pay, if they don't like it then that's ok. Tell them to call back if they decide to stoop down to your price and shop elsewhere in the meantime until a dealer agrees on it.
Exactly, within an hour drive I have 6 Toyota dealerships near me and that’s my message to, really wanna let a 36k vehicle slide because you want to squeeze an extra 1k out of me? Not a risk they are going to take since it is a low volume vehicle and another dealership will gladly offer me one lol.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
He’s not your friend. I know buying a new car is exciting, but keep in mind that the salesman’s job is to separate you from as much money as he can. Do the research I recommended, and you will end up with a much better deal. Don’t mean to be a buzz kill. I’m 60 and I’ve seen all the tricks.
Not at all and I appreciate the wisdom, I’m only 19 so I have absolutely no experience in this process. I’ll keep that in mind but I seriously don’t think they are going to try to squeeze and extra grand out of me when they know I’ll walk.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Not at all and I appreciate the wisdom, I’m only 19 so I have absolutely no experience in this process. I’ll keep that in mind but I seriously don’t think they are going to try to squeeze and extra grand out of me when they know I’ll walk.
Ah, but they will try to get that money back by selling you an extended warranty, VIN etching, paint protection, etc. Also, if you are financing your car, DO NOT use the dealer’s financing unless you have to. Have it in place ahead of time. You’ll do better through a bank or credit union.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Ah, but they will try to get that money back by selling you an extended warranty, VIN etching, paint protection, etc. Also, if you are financing your car, DO NOT use the dealer’s financing unless you have to. Have it in place ahead of time. You’ll do better through a bank or credit union.
Already on top of that! We are doing a credit Union and my dad is co-signing with me so I can get cheaper APR. My dads a veteran when it comes to buying cars, he’s owned 8 and knows all the tricks. He just bought my mom a 2022 Palisade and they tried everything you said lol! Especially on that extended warranty 🙄

·
Registered
298 Posts
All you have to do is not be a pushover bro. Being young usually a dealer will always look at you a certain way, just the way it is. As long as you stick to your guns, you can walk like you were saying or you can get them to take you more serious. I’m turning 28 soon, been in the military, have a family, own a house and have bought at least 5 cars, I’ll walk into a dealership and I’ll still get that vibe they don’t take me serious until I open my mouth.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
All you have to do is not be a pushover bro. Being young usually a dealer will always look at you a certain way, just the way it is. As long as you stick to your guns, you can walk like you were saying or you can get them to take you more serious. I’m turning 28 soon, been in the military, have a family, own a house and have bought at least 5 cars, I’ll walk into a dealership and I’ll still get that vibe they don’t take me serious until I open my mouth.
Thanks for the help as always man and thanks for your service! 🇺🇸

·
Registered
16 Posts
Went to the dealer yesterday, absolute waste of time.

The person I talked to on the phone confirmed to me that I could leave a $1000 refundable deposit, when I showed up the guy had zero idea what I was talking about. He looked at me like I was just walking into dealers and hoping to throw a deposit down because he kept saying "We don't have this car in stock" "How can we take a deposit when we don't know MSRP"

I talked to a manager over there and he said they wouldn't be comfortable taking my deposit and could not promise me MSRP because of the chip shortage, he said how people will come into his dealer and put a 1k deposit and pay whatever price for the car with their markup no problem which I doubt, no logical person does that. He gave me an example "What if someone was willing to pay 10k markup, then obviously we would take them"

They told me they'd give me a call as soon as they get an allocation though, will have to talk to other dealers in the meantime. I think I might go with another dealer because this one left a bad taste in my mouth

·
Registered
16 Posts
So I also just put in an inquiry for the 2022 BRZ... local dealership called me and let me know they are selling for MSRP with zero markup guaranteed, delivery in 8-12 weeks from today.

As much as I really want the 86.. maybe this is not a bad idea?..

Primarily want the 86 for small differences like cooler badging, the fact that it's a toyota, rear deck lid spoiler, nicer premium wheels, nicer front bumper, and more sliding tendencies. But at the same time they are basically the same car except for very small differences and I'll likely avoid a lot of headache trying to get MSRP and save some money in the end.

Going to have to really think about this

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Went to the dealer yesterday, absolute waste of time.

The person I talked to on the phone confirmed to me that I could leave a $1000 refundable deposit, when I showed up the guy had zero idea what I was talking about. He looked at me like I was just walking into dealers and hoping to throw a deposit down because he kept saying "We don't have this car in stock" "How can we take a deposit when we don't know MSRP"

I talked to a manager over there and he said they wouldn't be comfortable taking my deposit and could not promise me MSRP because of the chip shortage, he said how people will come into his dealer and put a 1k deposit and pay whatever price for the car with their markup no problem which I doubt, no logical person does that. He gave me an example "What if someone was willing to pay 10k markup, then obviously we would take them"

They told me they'd give me a call as soon as they get an allocation though, will have to talk to other dealers in the meantime. I think I might go with another dealer because this one left a bad taste in my mouth
Yeah I don’t like that either man, thats a really scumbag thing to say basically admitting they just care about money. Good luck brother!

·
Registered
37 Posts
So I also just put in an inquiry for the 2022 BRZ... local dealership called me and let me know they are selling for MSRP with zero markup guaranteed, delivery in 8-12 weeks from today.

As much as I really want the 86.. maybe this is not a bad idea?..

Primarily want the 86 for small differences like cooler badging, the fact that it's a toyota, rear deck lid spoiler, nicer premium wheels, nicer front bumper, and more sliding tendencies. But at the same time they are basically the same car except for very small differences and I'll likely avoid a lot of headache trying to get MSRP and save some money in the end.

Going to have to really think about this
I'm guessing the majority of the people here wouldn't be able to tell the 'sliding tendencies' from one to the other. But even so, that only matters if you plan to keep the car 100% stock. The second you mess with the suspension, you mess with any preset balances and tendencies. Also, what do you mean 'premium wheels'? They have the same wheels. The GR 'Premium' is the BRZ Limited, subaru calls their base 'Premium'.

Now I'm a Subaru fanboy, so I'm biased, but if you're itching for the new car, the BRZ will definitely be here sooner.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
I'm guessing the majority of the people here wouldn't be able to tell the 'sliding tendencies' from one to the other. But even so, that only matters if you plan to keep the car 100% stock. The second you mess with the suspension, you mess with any preset balances and tendencies. Also, what do you mean 'premium wheels'? They have the same wheels. The GR 'Premium' is the BRZ Limited, subaru calls their base 'Premium'.

Now I'm a Subaru fanboy, so I'm biased, but if you're itching for the new car, the BRZ will definitely be here sooner.
Not by much, 86 will be here in November/early December

41 - 60 of 80 Posts