Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
I’m sure like all of you I am really looking forward to the revealing of the GR86’s pricing! Like some of you in the forum, I have placed a down payment reserving one and the second pricing is released we will be given the green light to customize and order our very own 86’s. So I ask if anyone in the forums has a guess as to when the 86 will be released? Keep in mind I have printed proof that the 86 begins production THIS MONTH and it was confirmed by Toyota that the 86 will arrive in late November of this year. I’m not sure what they are waiting for honestly as Subaru released theirs over a month ago and it’s kinda frustrating that they released the press interviews but are waiting so long after to release pricing. If I had to guess though, I’d say maybe after the BRZ press release? I personally don’t think it will be any later than September 15th but let me know what you all think!
I have read that the base version will be close to the previous generation, starting at about $30,000

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I have read that the base version will be close to the previous generation, starting at about $30,000
Same here, question is when will Toyota officially release it so that we can place preorders and customize the 86’s from factory.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Same here, question is when will Toyota officially release it so that we can place preorders and customize the 86’s from factory.
I would guess by sometime the middle or end of this month. The 2020 is still on the configurator. I signed up on Toyota’s website for updates, and have gotten 1, which was the press release. Considering they just said they are cutting production by 40% in September, and the GR86 and GR Supra are low volume cars, it may be closer to Dec or Jan before the cars go on sale. The chip shortage is expected to last into 2022.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I would guess by sometime the middle or end of this month. The 2020 is still on the configurator. I signed up on Toyota’s website for updates, and have gotten 1, which was the press release. Considering they just said they are cutting production by 40% in September, and the GR86 and GR Supra are low volume cars, it may be closer to Dec or Jan before the cars go on sale. The chip shortage is expected to last into 2022.
I think you meant end of this month or middle of next month and I completely agree. The good thing is that Toyota intentionally took the hit now. The 86 began production in August but hasn’t been available for consumers to order yet. Remember that it’s made in a Subaru factory and Toyota intentionally shut down factories that make the RAV4, Camry, and Corolla. I’m thinking however you may be on to something as far as the price goes because they may be gauging how many they can pump out from that August production. It will for sure be soon we get to know price and therefore order the cars I’m just curious as to why Toyota chose not to do so during the press release.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I wouldn’t mind if it was released a little later, it’s honestly not dire.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Called more dealerships and finally found a dealer in new jersey that's willing to let me put a $1000 downpayment to secure one so I'm stoked.

@DRFT86 , did they mention anything in regards to markup? This is my first time I will be putting a downpayment for a car, if it's non refundable, what if they decide to mark it up like crazy in the end? I'd technically be stuck in a commitment to pay that right?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Called more dealerships and finally found a dealer in new jersey that's willing to let me put a $1000 downpayment to secure one so I'm stoked.

@DRFT86 , did they mention anything in regards to markup? This is my first time I will be putting a downpayment for a car, if it's non refundable, what if they decide to mark it up like crazy in the end? I'd technically be stuck in a commitment to pay that right?
Technically yes you would, go to the dealers page online and see how they have their card listed there priced. Or simply call them and ask, they are usually pretty upfront and honest if they are going to mark up because they try and justify it to the customer. Congrats on finding one man! So glad you could find a dealer who could take a downpayment and we shouldn’t have to wait much longer to customize and order our 86’s!

·
Registered
16 Posts
They can't make a deposit non refundable. If they don't deliver a product that is theft so far as I am aware. It's not a downpayment until the car is on the lot and you have signed paperwork. DO NOT sign any paperwork before you are actually doing the deal.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
They can't make a deposit non refundable. If they don't deliver a product that is theft so far as I am aware. It's not a downpayment until the car is on the lot and you have signed paperwork. DO NOT sign any paperwork before you are actually doing the deal.
Yeah that’s naturally part of the deal, they have to deliver you the product you ordered and the way you ordered it. HOWEVER if they give you the product you want and you have second thoughts then you cannot get the money back. Sorry if I didn’t clarify that.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Forgot to add that markups only really affect high demand vehicles like F-150’s, Camry’s, etc. a niche vehicle like the 86 won’t be marked up because they know you’ll walk if they try to pull something shady and they don’t want you to walk because it’s a hard car for them to sell.
The mark-up on the new Supras is insane. Some dealers marked them up like $8000. Even the used ones are selling for the same price as the new ones, and people are paying. Even the 4-cylinders.
IF I can find a way to afford one at the end of the year, I will buy one. If not, a GR86.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Forgot to add that markups only really affect high demand vehicles like F-150’s, Camry’s, etc. a niche vehicle like the 86 won’t be marked up because they know you’ll walk if they try to pull something shady and they don’t want you to walk because it’s a hard car for them to sell.
Do you think so? I personally don't think the 86 will be a hard car to sell. Seems like lots of hype around it right now and dealers know it. But to be fair I don't really know the numbers of sales and whether or not these cars will mainly be sold to enthusiasts as opposed to the general crowd

·
Registered
101 Posts
Do you think so? I personally don't think the 86 will be a hard car to sell. Seems like lots of hype around it right now and dealers know it. But to be fair I don't really know the numbers of sales and whether or not these cars will mainly be sold to enthusiasts as opposed to the general crowd
It is a low volume car for Toyota. There may be an initial rush, but I think it will mostly be enthusiasts. I think the new Z will deflect some interest, because even if it starts at 40k, it will be less than the 4-cylinder Supra

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Stephen answered it perfectly, yes there’s a lot of love and hype for it but Toyota won’t sell many of these at all. The 86 and BRZ combined sold around like 50,000 cars across all years which is about what Ford sells of the Mustang in a single year.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
anyone in Florida spoken to their local dealers?
Virginia here, there was a massive Florida location that was talking about the 86 when you looked it up. Can’t remember the name but just search Florida GR86 and give them a call.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It is a low volume car for Toyota. There may be an initial rush, but I think it will mostly be enthusiasts. I think the new Z will deflect some interest, because even if it starts at 40k, it will be less than the 4-cylinder Supra
Stephen answered it perfectly, yes there’s a lot of love and hype for it but Toyota won’t sell many of these at all. The 86 and BRZ combined sold around like 50,000 cars across all years which is about what Ford sells of the Mustang in a single year.
Gotcha gotcha I just did some research into that and that is very true, do you think dealers will try to push for markup? I'm turning 25 soon and to be quite honest this will be the first time I'll be purchasing a new car by myself. If they do say they are planning on marking up I could just say no problem and I'll shop at another dealer right? If dealers are aware of the small number of sales for the BRZ/86 then hopefully I can have the upper hand when I walk in

actually have an appointment today after work to talk to somebody about it, excited!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Gotcha gotcha I just did some research into that and that is very true, do you think dealers will try to push for markup? I'm turning 25 soon and to be quite honest this will be the first time I'll be purchasing a new car by myself. If they do say they are planning on marking up I could just say no problem and I'll shop at another dealer right? If dealers are aware of the small number of sales for the BRZ/86 then hopefully I can have the upper hand when I walk in

actually have an appointment today after work to talk to somebody about it, excited!
Awesome man! I’m 19 and this is the first one I’ll be buying as well though I will co-sign with my dad for cheaper APR. What I’m going to do if they markup is just act completely uninterested and just say I’ll go with another dealership. I’m going to add about 6k in accessories to mine so I expect my final price to be around 36-38k. They know they won’t be able to sell a 40k 86 with markups lol.

21 - 40 of 80 Posts