Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Pavement GR86 , 2019 Shelby GT350R
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I think I’d prefer a supercharger setup over turbo to minimize lag….

P.S. I’m at 7500’ elevation, so the GR86 is alr down a bit on power.

·
Registered
193 Posts
agree this Brofessional, why? if you wanted more power just get a supra, some other powerful car, by the time you do all the supporting work you will have spent about as much as the Supra 2.0T, car has roughly 250 to the crank already

·
Registered
2022 Ice Silver BRZ Limited manual.
1,918 Posts
Because even though there is more power, its not enough. On a track this car is plenty fun. That is when you can keep it above 5k RPM and you have lots of curves to keep the others behind you. Now consider street driving or a high speed track with more straights and less twisties and the car cant hang with the pack. Considering my car (and most of yours) spends 99% of its time on public roads, being able to hold speed through a corner or do a sick drift is a pretty useless set of skills for the car most of the time. Being light and carrying speed only goes so far. There is just no torque to speak of. Zero, throw you back in your seat oomph. I can stab the throttle from a 2nd gear roll and my passenger can lean over and tie their shoes. Im used to cars that push you back so hard you cant lift your head.

·
Registered
20 Posts
agree this Brofessional, why? if you wanted more power just get a supra, some other powerful car, by the time you do all the supporting work you will have spent about as much as the Supra 2.0T, car has roughly 250 to the crank already
Why not? It’s something I plan on doing as soon as it’s available. 5-6k for a supercharger and a tune. HKS USA says the 'GT2 supercharger' kit for the new 2022+ Toyota GR86/Subaru BRZ "aims at around 350 HP.". More HP than a Supra, cheaper, manual transmission option, and it has backseats (important for me). Plus, I’m a sucker for the centrifugal supercharger sounds.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Why not? It’s something I plan on doing as soon as it’s available. 5-6k for a supercharger and a tune. HKS USA says the 'GT2 supercharger' kit for the new 2022+ Toyota GR86/Subaru BRZ "aims at around 350 HP.". More HP than a Supra, cheaper, manual transmission option, and it has backseats (important for me). Plus, I’m a sucker for the centrifugal supercharger sounds.
And plus you still have a japanese car and not a BMW in drag. Personally I am going to try just an E85 tune first and see how that goes. I kinda want to keep it NA, but I dont know if I will be able to squeeze enough out of it that way. Im thinking a 22 with bolt ons and E85 should be about as fast as a moderately tuned gen 1 with supercharger on pump gas.

·
Registered
2022 Toyota GR86 Premium Halo 6M/T
20 Posts
Yeah but a supra: Doesn't come with a manual option, costs a minimum of $10k more, weighs 3,181 (Compared to 2,811), and Is Unnecessarily Bulky. The list goes on but In my opinion, the GR86/BRZ is a much better car and platform. Even though the supra has some advantages, I think that this platform is better.

·
Registered
2022 Toyota GR86 Premium Halo 6M/T
20 Posts
I know... most people can't even drive the car to its limits with the power it has. People use power as a band-aid for actual skill... they can't maintain speed through a corner so they want to make it up on the straights.
I've already hit max speed and have thrown it through corners fast as hell. I love this car so much.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Supra also has no back seats, an unusable trunk, zero visibility and dont forget "german engineering". Meaning if you hang on to it for 7-10 years and actually drive it, you will have paid more than the purchase price of the car in maintenance costs.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts