Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
2141 - 2160 of 2177 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
They say the reason of delay was CO2 emissions need to be verified and recertified again
Oh my * god. This is what I've been afraid of from day 1 when I saw it has a co2 value of "only" 200g. Certificate of conformity and the co2 value is the first thing I wanted to check when it would finally be delivered. In other markets co2 values range from 216-246g so 200 seemed like they cheated emission testing somehow.
This would be a reason I have to back out of my order, if the new value is a few grams more it means thousands of euros on top of the already steep registration costs and hundreds more in yearly tax. And it will be impossible to sell it sometime in the future. In other countries (NL) it'll even make a bigger difference.
If co2 values increase, the few cars that have already been registered with 200g co2 will be worth more in this market... And the GR will be even more rare, as I surely won't be the only one having to back out.

·
Registered
92 Celica, 99 Skyline, preorded 23 GR86 GR Parts in RED MT
37 Posts
So use the EU law to register an Car enthusiast enterprise in another EU Country without co2 malus.
Register the car to That enterprise and country :D

I'm sorry if the malus is increasing.
But I don't Think that a co2 certificate is so time wasting like reconfig the ECU for vsc and testing it and so on.

And the 200g cars would 99% rejected for higher tax.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Germany - they seem to be much better informed at least with regards to the delivery stop. They say the reason of delay was CO2 emissions need to be verified and recertified again - no info if any change had to made to the ECU though to match emissions standards. They expect their two demo cars to be delivered in the show room on 42-43 calendar week - end of October. One will be in the showroom and one will be a test car. They have no clue if orders will be opened again at all and when and for how many orders are still possible in Germany. No info about car numbers allocations to Germany.
If true, this may have serious tax implications!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Someone in an Italian FG group got some info that nothing will happen until the end of the month. Cars are blocked because of homologation problems regarding safety issues that should be fixed with a software update (same thing my dealer told me months ago). After September, they should have a course of action.
Mmm... That are not good news... That means the car is still not homologated in Europe? After all the press-test, and some lucky guys units already on the streets ??? Seems strange to say the least, as that should mean those units would be rolling ilegaly.

And, on the other side, if the car is really still not homologated... You know that every new car model homologated in Europe since Jun 2022 has to have the "intelligent speed limiter" a system that via GPS and signal recognition with cameras, forces you to not exceed the speed limit of the road you are in... unless you do sone kind of extra action to temporarily deactivate the system. It is unknown what kind of action, as at this moment no car has been released still with this (no new car model was homologated in Europe since Jun 2022 yet). It is said that it can be flooring the throttle during two seconds will allow to to exceed limits until you slow down again under the limit when it will auto-reactivate, others say it would be pressing a button... And of course the blackbox if the car has one (and new cars will) will know if that system is online or offline at any given moment, so you imagine having an accident with the limiter deactivated can result, maybe, in some extra trouble.

·
Registered
59 Posts
In performance it's only slightly better than the GT86, you gain the most during in gear accelerations as you have more torque . I'm planning to do some runs between a GT86 and GR86 soon and let you guys know the outcome.
Handling in standard form is better than the standard GT86/BRZ. Certainly the standard shocks improved over the ones in the GT86 and BRZ (FL). I think the standard shocks were worst in the BRZ facelift.
Steering feel is pretty much the same to me. But I'm maybe not the best man to give feedback on that as I never had any issues with it.
Build quality is certainly less good than previous cars. Passenger dashboard piece looks and feels really bad. Also the 6 toggle switches below the aircon module really feel cheap!
Comfort is quite ok in standard form although I find some rattles here and there. Rearview visibility is really bad, but I guess it was the same in the old cars.
Car definitely consumes more fuel than previous cars. Certainly if you do a lot of highway.
Wow, you review is almost exactly the opposite you usually read/view about the GR86 :O
I mean, you can usually hear that the interior is now a lot better.
And the performance only slightly better? It should be massively better given the numbers... I mean, GT86 200 bhp usually dynoed at sround 180 bhp, many times even around 170-175 bhp, and 207 bhp facelift versions dynoed around 185-190 bhp. But the GR86 is being dynoed all of them above 240 bhp... That difference should be day and night. I think I have seen road pulls that supports this kind of power, but you are worring me...

I once sat in a facelift 2017 GT86 (one of my purposes was to test the rear opposite seat usability), and the interior felt so so, yes, somewhat cheapo. If you say the new one is still worse... Wow, that is worrying, that would put it at Renault Clio 2008 level

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hi Everybody, here is the latest news from the dealer I am in contact in Germany and Hungary.

Hungary - no news, no demo cars in the pipeline, they do not know anything if and when orders will be reopened again in Hungary. They do not have a clue about the reason of delay. They confirm though the orders which are placed and have an order number in the Toyota system will be manufactured and delivered sometimes before June 2024. No delivery estimate for ordered cars though at all. They do not know anything about allocation numbers to Hungary at all.

Germany - they seem to be much better informed at least with regards to the delivery stop. They say the reason of delay was CO2 emissions need to be verified and recertified again - no info if any change had to made to the ECU though to match emissions standards. They expect their two demo cars to be delivered in the show room on 42-43 calendar week - end of October. One will be in the showroom and one will be a test car. They have no clue if orders will be opened again at all and when and for how many orders are still possible in Germany. No info about car numbers allocations to Germany.
OMG... :(
If that is true, that would make sense with the info I got about "they are doing some electronic modifications"... But, sadly :(, that would mean obviously some ECU tweaking to get it closer to the declared 200 g CO2/km (and that is coherent eith many weeks/months of work), and we all know what this usually mean... Less power, tuned down engine for Europe (the new BMW 230i has 10 less advertised bhp in Europe than in EEUU).

If in all places they are sold as 228 or 231 bhp on papers and they are happily being dynoed at over 240 real bhp commonplace, that means that maybe in europe they will be really 228-231 bhp... Or more probably less than that (no, the same history than with the GT86 being well under advertised power again, nooo!!!! :O )

I'm starting to think seriously about quitting.
If I could have at least a dyno chart of a euro-spec unit exactly like the one we will get, and be happy with the numbers... But we will not have that chance, and I don't want to end up getting an slower car than the ones I saw in You Tube all these months.
And I'm now pretty sure this will be the case.

·
Registered
16 Posts
OMG... :(
If that is true, that would make sense with the info I got about "they are doing some electronic modifications"... But, sadly :(, that would mean obviously some ECU tweaking to get it closer to the declared 200 g CO2/km (and that is coherent eith many weeks/months of work), and we all know what this usually mean... Less power, tuned down engine for Europe (the new BMW 230i has 10 less advertised bhp in Europe than in EEUU).

If in all places they are sold as 228 or 231 bhp on papers and they are happily being dynoed at over 240 real bhp commonplace, that means that maybe in europe they will be really 228-231 bhp... Or more probably less than that (no, the same history than with the GT86 being well under advertised power again, nooo!!!! :O )

I'm starting to think seriously about quitting.
If I could have at least a dyno chart of a euro-spec unit exactly like the one we will get, and be happy with the numbers... But we will not have that chance, and I don't want to end up getting an slower car than the ones I saw in You Tube all these months.
And I'm now pretty sure this will be the case.
If it was the case then I think we would have to be advertised because we ordered a car with specific characteristics (power is in the technical sheet), and if it had to be changed, the order would have to be void/modified.

it is not something Toyota can do with no communication (again - this is just my opinion)

2141 - 2160 of 2177 Posts