Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2022 AT 86
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Welp boys, the 2nd time within a year that I’ve been backed in to while nowhere near anybody. Was enjoying a Saturday night out when I hear over the intercom “If you’re driving a red car you want to come outside right now because your car just got hit” and I go outside and there’s a big NPC fire explorer right on top of my car. This must’ve been like a U-turn at like 30 mph because I just can’t comprehend how this happened. Called the police made the report, just made a claim to my insurance. I personally think the car is totaled, what do you guys think? There’s even some damage to the passenger steering column I believe. I really don’t know how to move forward in a situation like this
Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle

Car Vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting

Automotive tail & brake light Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive lighting

· Registered
2022 AT 86
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the condolences guys. I’m assuming it’s a total and hoping it because I don’t want to keep paying for the car after it’s been in a condition like this not even a year into it’s lifespan, but for some reason I feel it won’t be. But in the event it is totaled how does it work, I got gap insurance so I’m assuming the remaining balance will be payed off. But what about insurance payouts and etc? Might I be getting some kind of payout or just have to start saving up for a new car from now? Thinking of going Supra but that’s at the back of my mind.

· Registered
2022 AT 86
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wow man, that is rough.

If for some reason the insurance does not deem it as a total loss, I would fight to get them to total the car - you do not want this car repaired.

Related to insurance payout, they operate under some formula to calculate how much they should pay you and often times the first offer will be crap. Don't accept it and don't feel pressured to - its a game where they try to pay as little as possible and you try to get as much as possible. Since it was the Explorer's driver at fault, assuming his insurance isn't crap, they will also probably pay for a rental car so use that to your advantage in negotiating a payout since the longer it takes, the more money they lose on that.

I would pull together everything that you've paid for the car and get the price of every comparable car to yours in your area. The more expensive the better. Essentially, you want to be able to justify asking for a higher price then they offer by showing them what the cost to make you whole is. Don't be afraid to push back and be stubborn but fair. Also, they have to include the taxes in the payout in most states, so for instance if the value of your car is 30K, they would have to give you 33K since that includes taxes (assuming you live in a 10% tax zip code). Don't negotiate with that added in, negotiate without it.

As for gap insurance, I've never had it but have heard that its kinda useless. Not sure what the order of the payouts would be in this case.

All in all, good luck and that sucks.
Thanks for this. How exactly would I go about pushing them to total out the car? And would aftermarket parts count towards an itemized list of things I spent for the car like wheel and tires? The price of cars comparable to mine, how exactly does that work out I’m not understanding that part too well.

· Registered
2022 AT 86
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
38K is a hella good payout for a base auto. Is that including taxes or will you also be getting those on top? If it does include taxes, so about 34K, that still seems pretty good.

Was 38K their 1st offer? If so, they probably got a bit more if you want to be pushy.
Just going off the estimate pdf that’s including taxes. I think it’s fair I’ll probably just leave it be. Now I gotta decide on my next car

· Registered
2022 AT 86
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Sorry for your loss man. Glad to hear you're getting the right payout. I have perhaps a rather odd question for you. Is there any chance you would sell me a piece of cut junction wire for the back up lamp?

Here's my sitch. I tried to take off the back up lamp so I could put a light tint on it. I watched Kevin's video (
) to see how to remove it. I do plan on getting this mod once I sell my stock tires.

When I tried to remove it, I was unable to get the connector to separate, Kevin made it look so simple! Consequently, I mangled it up pretty good and will not be able to put on the new lamp without replacing the connectors. The cost of each of the wiring harnesses (need each side) is near 300$. No bueno. So I'm hoping to find another way. Seeing you're totaled and getting the proper compensation, I thought i'd ask. Attached are the two pieces.

If you don't want to do that, I totally understand. Maybe some else will see this and help me out.
Oh damn man I’m really sorry I would’ve loved to help you out but unfortunately I surrendered the vehicle to my insurance already once I removed my wheels and exhaust. So I don’t believe I can actually remove anything else at this point.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts