Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2022 GR86
9 Posts
Wow man, that is rough.

If for some reason the insurance does not deem it as a total loss, I would fight to get them to total the car - you do not want this car repaired.

Related to insurance payout, they operate under some formula to calculate how much they should pay you and often times the first offer will be crap. Don't accept it and don't feel pressured to - its a game where they try to pay as little as possible and you try to get as much as possible. Since it was the Explorer's driver at fault, assuming his insurance isn't crap, they will also probably pay for a rental car so use that to your advantage in negotiating a payout since the longer it takes, the more money they lose on that.

I would pull together everything that you've paid for the car and get the price of every comparable car to yours in your area. The more expensive the better. Essentially, you want to be able to justify asking for a higher price then they offer by showing them what the cost to make you whole is. Don't be afraid to push back and be stubborn but fair. Also, they have to include the taxes in the payout in most states, so for instance if the value of your car is 30K, they would have to give you 33K since that includes taxes (assuming you live in a 10% tax zip code). Don't negotiate with that added in, negotiate without it.

As for gap insurance, I've never had it but have heard that its kinda useless. Not sure what the order of the payouts would be in this case.

All in all, good luck and that sucks.

· Registered
2022 GR86
9 Posts
Thanks for this. How exactly would I go about pushing them to total out the car? And would aftermarket parts count towards an itemized list of things I spent for the car like wheel and tires? The price of cars comparable to mine, how exactly does that work out I’m not understanding that part too well.
If for some reason they come back and say they want to pay to have the car repaired, tell me that you believe repairing the car will result in something unsafe and the extent of the repairs would diminish the value of the car to the point that you are not made whole. Again, I doubt they will decide to repair the car as I'm pretty sure it will cost more then getting a whole new car and since this car is brand new, there will be no way to source OEM like or refurbished parts making any repair that much more expensive, not to mention the fact that a repair of this caliber will need the car in the shop for god knows how long just waiting for parts all the parts.

As for the price of cars comparable to yours, take your exact car configuration and try and find as close to it as possible on the open market near you. That means that if you have a 22 bRed premium with 4K miles, you look on every website for cars as close to that and what they sell for. Then you email the dealers and ask for a price if you can get it. This way, when the insurance offers to pay you out 30K for your vehicle, you tell them that actually the two nearest bRed premiums to me are selling for 34K and show them proof. They might have come to that 30K number because there is a random premium Raven in Florida with 5K miles on it and decided it was close enough. Its here where you explain that red is a premium color that costs more and is more in demand and its important to you and yada yada. Its not enough to just want more money, you have to be able to justify it and have the data handy - thats why you look up comparable cars so you know exactly how much you need to get a replacement.

As for mods, I wouldn't mention them. People don't want someone else's mods, it almost always devalues a car, and unless you have insurance that specifically also insures your mods just accept that as a loss and move on. The only exception is some dealer installed items, like lets say your car had the auto dimming mirror, all weather floor mats, and like a short throw shifter, I would bring those up and try and get them paid out too if you can.

· Registered
2022 GR86
9 Posts
Update. Just got the news she’s totaled today boys. Estimate says payout is 38k. I think that’s a fair amount for an auto base model. Should I push for 40 to even it out? Leave it as it? Or try and get however much more I can?
38K is a hella good payout for a base auto. Is that including taxes or will you also be getting those on top? If it does include taxes, so about 34K, that still seems pretty good.

Was 38K their 1st offer? If so, they probably got a bit more if you want to be pushy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts