Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I read lots of reviews and watched lots of videos.

From my understanding is that the main difference is the suspension:
1- steel knuckle for 86 vs aluminum for brz
2- sway bar for 86 is solid vs hollow for brz
3 the rear sway bar is mounted to the subframe for 86 vs chassis for brz (This is quite interesting because unibody do not have subframes . Sometime they would have a subframe that is mounted to the unibody chasis for the engine compartment and not the rear of the car. So I really do not understand this one. Any experts please shed the lights.
4- ECU changes for 86 (not clear)
5- front grill.

These are the main differences. So Any expert who test drove both , please shed a light to what these changes for the 86 equate to in driving. I though the 86 steering would be a little more stiffer than the brz. But from one video it seems it is not.

·
Registered
22 BRZ
281 Posts
So I read lots of reviews and watched lots of videos.

From my understanding is that the main difference is the suspension:
1- steel knuckle for 86 vs aluminum for brz
2- sway bar for 86 is solid vs hollow for brz
3 the rear sway bar is mounted to the subframe for 86 vs chassis for brz (This is quite interesting because unibody do not have subframes . Sometime they would have a subframe that is mounted to the unibody chasis for the engine compartment and not the rear of the car. So I really do not understand this one. Any experts please shed the lights.
4- ECU changes for 86 (not clear)
5- front grill.

These are the main differences. So Any expert who test drove both , please shed a light to what these changes for the 86 equate to in driving. I though the 86 steering would be a little more stiffer than the brz. But from one video it seems it is not.
Unibody cars do have subframes, maybe years ago it wasnt as common as it is now. Typically in the engine compartment yes but also in the rear, mainly for mounting the rear diff(AWD/RWD) and for allowing different suspension set ups. I was a tech at Honda for 10 years so I know a lot more about how they do suspension vs other companies, but I've owned a few Subarus and always do my own work. If you're looking for expert opinions just watch their videos back to back, we probably wont see any true side by side/back to back for a couple months. From what i recall the differences aren't that noticeable especially in regular driving, you start to see it a bit on the track. Like Jenosa said its mostly understeer vs oversteer.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I would suggest you view the latest video from Savagegeese. Mark and Jack really go into the suspension differences and suggest that some of the parts are interchangeable from one car to another. The also suggest that the primary difference one can make is from the sway bars.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would suggest you view the latest video from Savagegeese. Mark and Jack really go into the suspension differences and suggest that some of the parts are interchangeable from one car to another. The also suggest that the primary difference one can make is from the sway bars.

Ya great video and these guys go for the important stuff not like other reviews where they talk about the led headlights for half of the video...

It seems from what they said is that gr86 kept the back suspension like how it was mean while Subaru changed it. I read somewhere else the other way around where Toyota changed the suspension. It kind of hard to know exactly what happened...

But it seems non the less the cars are very similar. Even in the track the gr86 was understeering then oversteering. I really think the changes are very small.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Ya great video and these guys go for the important stuff not like other reviews where they talk about the led headlights for half of the video...

It seems from what they said is that gr86 kept the back suspension like how it was mean while Subaru changed it. I read somewhere else the other way around where Toyota changed the suspension. It kind of hard to know exactly what happened...

But it seems non the less the cars are very similar. Even in the track the gr86 was understeering then oversteering. I really think the changes are very small.
What’s going to happen is the 86 over time will get everything the BRZ has anyways. That’s something they covered too which is pretty true.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Also understand that how a car handles will depend on the track surface. When Mark and Jack drive the GR86 the first time at Monticello the GR86 was an oversteer king. However when they drove the car at their own track that they normally use it had more understeer than the first car.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Also understand that how a car handles will depend on the track surface. When Mark and Jack drive the GR86 the first time at Monticello the GR86 was an oversteer king. However when they drove the car at their own track that they normally use it had more understeer than the first car.
Mark (SavageGeese) did say both are preproduction vehicles. So there will be differences

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.