Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone having concerns about Sub using aluminum for a high stress part like a steering knuckle?

·
Registered
399 Posts
I was thinking the same thing, but I'm sure they just make it thicker to withstand the needed forces.
You guys will be okay, it’s going to reduce your unsprung weight a little and you won’t worry about any long term rust.

Aluminum is also very strong these days. We live in the day and age where Aluminum is very tough and metal car parts are being put together through adhesives and not welds as much. I’m actually envious BRZ owners get the aluminum steering knuckles

·
Registered
80 Posts
No concerns whatsoever. Aluminum Steering knuckles are not new technology, they've been around on BMWs, Benzes, Lexuses, etc for over 20 years. BMW has been using them on their volume cars for almost 30 years.

·
Registered
‘22 CWP BRZ Ordered
25 Posts
Anyone having concerns about Sub using aluminum for a high stress part like a steering knuckle?
I really like that it's aluminum. As Yoshoobaroo said, tons of high end performance cars have it. Reduces unsprung weight quite a bit which has many benefits (how noticeable it would be is probably minute). However, it's still part of the reason I went with the BRZ.

·
Super Moderator
313 Posts
Not really. For people in snow or high salt environments it might be better long term.

The knuckle strength would be easy to test on the fake road test machines they have, so I'm sure its up to spec.

·
Registered
23 Posts
As said they just design it to suit using thicker sections. Higher manufacturing cost but reduces unsprung weight, corrosion susceptibility and increases stiffness relative to equivalent steel item. Look at it this way; it's good enough for brake caliper brackets as well as motorcycle and aircraft frames just to name a few.

·
Super Moderator
313 Posts
You can see here how the aluminium part is designed differently, its lighter but larger.

Tire Shoe Automotive tire Crankset Bicycle tire

·
Registered
2022 BRZ Limited (on the way!)
12 Posts
As a guy who has spent way too much time fixing old, busted BMWs. Aluminum steering knuckles are awesome. I’ve never known one to stress fracture or anything and it helps heaps with stuff seizing together in the whole hub assembly after a few years.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Porsche uses aluminum knuckles on the Boxster, Cayman, and 911. Going back to at least 2009.
This shouldn't be an issue. Like literally zero.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts