Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
I was thinking the same thing, but I'm sure they just make it thicker to withstand the needed forces.
You guys will be okay, it’s going to reduce your unsprung weight a little and you won’t worry about any long term rust.

Aluminum is also very strong these days. We live in the day and age where Aluminum is very tough and metal car parts are being put together through adhesives and not welds as much. I’m actually envious BRZ owners get the aluminum steering knuckles

·
Registered
‘22 CWP BRZ Ordered
90 Posts
Anyone having concerns about Sub using aluminum for a high stress part like a steering knuckle?
I really like that it's aluminum. As Yoshoobaroo said, tons of high end performance cars have it. Reduces unsprung weight quite a bit which has many benefits (how noticeable it would be is probably minute). However, it's still part of the reason I went with the BRZ.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Subaru BRZ, WR Blue Pearl
1,166 Posts
Anyone having concerns about Sub using aluminum for a high stress part like a steering knuckle?
Not really. For people in snow or high salt environments it might be better long term.

The knuckle strength would be easy to test on the fake road test machines they have, so I'm sure its up to spec.

·
Registered
31 Posts
As said they just design it to suit using thicker sections. Higher manufacturing cost but reduces unsprung weight, corrosion susceptibility and increases stiffness relative to equivalent steel item. Look at it this way; it's good enough for brake caliper brackets as well as motorcycle and aircraft frames just to name a few.

·
Registered
2022 BRZ Limited WRB
110 Posts
As a guy who has spent way too much time fixing old, busted BMWs. Aluminum steering knuckles are awesome. I’ve never known one to stress fracture or anything and it helps heaps with stuff seizing together in the whole hub assembly after a few years.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.