Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got phone calls/emails from several Toyota dealers in AZ that they began to have allocations of the gr86. What surprised me is out of 4 dealers with 10 gr86, there is only one 6mt. Is it just coincidence or everywhere else is the same? Or just subaru over estimated 6at market, dump all these 6at to Toyota since majority BRZ pre-orders are 6mt?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I bet MT(if there are allocations) are reserved already. easier to get an allocation for AT potentially ? My dealer didn't put up my car up, they had an AT (in transit) on their website for sale.

·
Registered
Awaiting a 2022 GR86 premium in Trueno blue
81 Posts
When toyota first announced this car, they talked about what they believed the market demand was going to be on this car. That was 70% automatic and 30% manual.

They also mentioned as the model years went on, it would skew even more towards automatics.

The statistics are out there, more and more people want automatics, and the people that really want this car due to it being offered in a manual would be buying it in its early life of release.

That's my long winded answer to why I believe it's all automatics showing up in dealers right now.

I do get a chuckle from OP mention of Subaru dumping all the 6ATs on Toyota last minute haha

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bet MT(if there are allocations) are reserved already. easier to get an allocation for AT potentially ? My dealer didn't put up my car up, they had an AT (in transit) on their website for sale.
My contact was given to these dealers back in September before I order my brz. I told them to let me know ASAP if they can take reservations/deposit. They all told me they won't take deposit until they have a confirmed allocation. And seems only stared from last week.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When toyota first announced this car, they talked about what they believed the market demand was going to be on this car. That was 70% automatic and 30% manual.

They also mentioned as the model years went on, it would skew even more towards automatics.

The statistics are out there, more and more people want automatics, and the people that really want this car due to it being offered in a manual would be buying it in its early life of release.

That's my long winded answer to why I believe it's all automatics showing up in dealers right now.

I do get a chuckle from OP mention of Subaru dumping all the 6ATs on Toyota last minute haha
I know just selling with MT won't keep a car like gr86/brz alive for generations, but if AT is the trending, why don't they develop a DCT or similar to let the AT have better performance?

·
Registered
2021 Toyota Supra
17 Posts
The fact is most millennials don’t know or care to learn how to drive manual vehicles. Automatics are without a doubt the dominant selling transmission within the past 10-15 years.

I tried ordering a Neptune Blue Premium GR86 with the 6spd manual a couple of days ago and the dealer straight up denied my order. He said he spoke with his Toyota rep and that “most” dealers are only being allocated one premium 86 and that they currently have (wait for it) three whole orders on their books currently. They would not be able to fill my order until the 2023 model year. This is odd because they’re a massive Toyota dealer.

This is pushing me towards a Rally Blue BRZ but I really don’t want the Subaru version.

·
Registered
2022 Toyota GR86 Premium 6MT (pre-order)
101 Posts
I can't imagine wanting this car in an automatic. Seems to defeat the point of the car in the first place, but perhaps I am overlooking something. I agree with the post above regarding a DCT or something with better performance if Toyota/Subaru was planning to sell so many autos. I never even considered a Supra as to me, why even bother with an auto sports car. Having a manual/clutch is sooo much more fun/challenging but makes driving all that much more engaging.

·
Registered
2022 Toyota GR 86, Pavement Grey, Premium, MT
428 Posts
I hate the way Toyota does this allocation deal. Especially when dealers have orders ready to be filled. You can't even order what you want. It has to be pulled from the allocation. Hell if you are going to have to wait months let the dealers order what they have sold.

Reactions: DoD

·
Registered
2022 Toyota GR86 Premium 6MT (pre-order)
101 Posts
I hate the way Toyota does this allocation deal. Especially when dealers have orders ready to be filled. You can't even order what you want. It has to be pulled from the allocation. Hell if you are going to have to wait months let the dealers order what they have sold.
Agree 100%. Hopefully all of the autos sit on the lots until late spring or longer and Toyota USA wakes up a bit to the fact they have a great car (better looking than BRZ) and exceptions need to me made on orders.

·
Registered
2022 GR86 Track Bred Premium MT
778 Posts
The fact is most millennials don’t know or care to learn how to drive manual vehicles. Automatics are without a doubt the dominant selling transmission within the past 10-15 years.

I tried ordering a Neptune Blue Premium GR86 with the 6spd manual a couple of days ago and the dealer straight up denied my order. He said he spoke with his Toyota rep and that “most” dealers are only being allocated one premium 86 and that they currently have (wait for it) three whole orders on their books currently. They would not be able to fill my order until the 2023 model year. This is odd because they’re a massive Toyota dealer.

This is pushing me towards a Rally Blue BRZ but I really don’t want the Subaru version.
I don’t know that its that millennials don’t care to learn how to drive an MT. When I was in high school in the late 70s, they still offered Driver’s Ed. Once it was dropped, teen agers had to be taught by their parents, most of whom had auto trans. I didn’t learn to drive an MT until I was in college in the 80s. Its not just the GR86/BRZ. A lot of Miatas that are for sale on Carmax and Carvana are AT. When Fiat was still selling the 124 Spider, most of the models at dealers in San Diego were AT, and for some reason there were a lot of white ones.

·
Registered
Awaiting a 2022 GR86 premium in Trueno blue
81 Posts
I guess it is simply just a change of times,
Fewer young people are interested as cars to be a fun or lifestyle thing, they are simply an appliance to get from one place to another.

When I was young, all I thought about was getting something cool or fun to drive and modify, I was not taught how to drive manual, my family vehicle I had access to was automatic, but when it came time for me to buy my first car I damn well knew it was going to be a manual, didn't matter whether I knew how to drive one or not

·
Registered
69 Posts
Those REALLY know how to drive left foot brake in an automatic transmission car. A torque converter is a wonderful thing if you know how to use it and have sufficient coordination.
BTW I have been left foot braking since 1978 and never have had or caused an accident. My father taught me to left foot brake. He had a tuned lightweight car that required 15% Methylbenzene.

·
Registered
2021 Toyota Supra
17 Posts
I guess it is simply just a change of times,
Fewer young people are interested as cars to be a fun or lifestyle thing, they are simply an appliance to get from one place to another.
This right here. Manufacturers build product that is most likely to sell. The current market shows that the majority of customers prefer the AT trans and it’s been like this for over a decade. The main driving force is the younger generations don’t care about; performance, driving dynamic, driving excitement, automotive enthusiasm… what have you.

A case in point is Harley-Davidson. Their sales are massively declining month after month because younger generations have no inclination to learn to ride a motorcycle. They even designed and built an EV bike to try and entice the younger gen.

As stated, cars and bikes are simply a mode of transportation to the newer gen and not a source of “lifestyle.” On the plus side…a manual trans might as well be considered an anti-theft device.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts