Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Toyota GR86 Premium 6MT Trueno Blue (In-Transit)
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, just ordered these TC4's for my GR86. Pretty sure these lugs will work, but want to confirm. Since offset is +50, and I think factory is +48, they'll be slightly more sunk into the wheel well, correct? What size spacers would you guys recommend to get closer to flush? I wanted to keep factory specs (apart from offset) because I like the handling characteristics as they stand now. With that, I could only find these in +50.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Bicycle part Automotive design

White Light Product Font Material property

Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
22 GR86 Base, 6MT, Steel
13 Posts
I hope you realize that by adding spacers, you will effectively be changing the offset of the wheels which will change how the car handles. There are may trains of thought on spacers, some people say they are fine, others say stay away. I am in the middle. I have run spacers on cars in the past but with extended lugs, while I did not have any issues, they did introduce a slight amount of vibration at speed, it was really annoying TBH. If you are shelling out the money for Advans, I say get something in a size that is already the right offset to begin with instead of messing around with spacers. I have 17x9 et 45 on my car, if you are looking to stay in the 18" range, I would say 18x8 et30 will be a good starting point for a stock suspension setup. If you plan on lowering and rolling/shaving fenders you can get way more aggressive. 18x9.5 et40ish seems to be common. You have to also account for your tire size as you get more and more aggressive as well.

·
Registered
2022 Ice Silver BRZ Limited manual.
1,415 Posts
The wheel is basically stock size. To get an accurate answer depends on what size tire you plan to run. If you are sticking with 215s or up to 225s, 20mm bolt on spacers would be perfect. I have nothing against spacers, just go with a quality name brand. Persoanlly I stick with eibach. Dont get any of the cheap chinese made mystery alloy sets. They often end up too soft or weak. Lug nut recesses get beaten out of shape and studs fall right out along with the wheel. If its worth doing, its worth doing right.

·
Registered
265 Posts
1. Is there a possible offset on the aftermarket wheels to make a wheel flush without using spacers?

2nd question is if the wheel is wider, but offset is same as factory, will they both sit the same on the car, as in same distance from the fender?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1. Is there a possible offset on the aftermarket wheels to make a wheel flush without using spacers?

2nd question is if the wheel is wider, but offset is same as factory, will they both sit the same on the car, as in same distance from the fender?
With these wheels in this spec, they only come in +50. Otherwise I'd order the lower offset. Not sure with the second part of your question, you could visualize it on willitfit.com (I think that's the site).

If I do spacers, I'd be going for the best quality available to avoid issues, so eibach was already a consideration.

I do want to change the offset by a little bit, I don't want to run wider wheels/tires at the moment. If I do go wider in tire it'll just be to 225, which I'd do a lower sidewall on to compensate for the stretch of the factory setup.

·
Registered
265 Posts
In the spirit of this thread, this is what I was thinking about if I end up with a color that can use a blue wheel:

This wheel fortunately comes in lower offsets (17x7.5 5x100 35mm ) so using the calculator which says clearance is even better, I should have no issues running this wheel which will poke out half an inch. Eyeballing it on the car with a tape measure, it seems like it's flush but I'm not 100% sure. Any wheel experts can tell me if this is good for a flush, no spacer set up?

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
+35 was flush on the gen 1 cars with wider rims. On these cars it seems like that offset will poke quite a lot requiring some pretty serious camber. However on a a small 7.5" rim with stock(ish) size tire it might be ok. I tend to favor going on the high end of the offset spectrum with the thinking, if the wheel sits too far in I can easily add spacers. Go too low and you either have to spend more cash on suspension to make them look and function well, or sell them and try again.

·
Registered
265 Posts
+35 was flush on the gen 1 cars with wider rims. On these cars it seems like that offset will poke quite a lot requiring some pretty serious camber. However on a a small 7.5" rim with stock(ish) size tire it might be ok. I tend to favor going on the high end of the offset spectrum with the thinking, if the wheel sits too far in I can easily add spacers. Go too low and you either have to spend more cash on suspension to make them look and function well, or sell them and try again.
Just piggybacking on the info in this thread, but you guys are mentioning 20mm spacers for his 50mm offset wheel, or even for the stock, which would effectively mean 30mm offset or 28mm for stockers. I saw a guy post up his stock wheels with 20mm spacers and it looked great. With a 35mm, I thought I was still pretty safe. Let me know if I'm not understanding this all correctly. My last few wheels were all custom forged wheels with all the specs done by the wheel shop, with my only input was making it flush and hub centric.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looks like these are gonna have to be special ordered actually. I was misinformed that evasive stocks all their listed wheels, but when I reached out to confirm they said "I would never stock wheels in that size" and when I asked them if Advan had them in stock, they said "I highly doubt it, we'll have to email japan and wait for them to check inventory which will probably take 3 or more days" so probably looking at 1.5 months or more 🙃

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have had both cars, 1st gen and 2nd all the +35 offsets have been people with aftermarket coil-overs, stock suspension it will rub.If your running after market coils, cool, rock that camber.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
It depends on the rim width and tire size. A +35 offset on a 9.5" wheel and a 255 tire is going be be much harder to fit than a 7.5" wheel on a 215 tire.

·
Registered
265 Posts
It depends on the rim width and tire size. A +35 offset on a 9.5" wheel and a 255 tire is going be be much harder to fit than a 7.5" wheel on a 215 tire.
7.5-8" width with 225 width tire is my preferred tire size. I'm not adverse to the idea of coilovers in the future, in fact it's more likely than not since I want to slightly lower the car to help close the wheel gap.

·
Registered
2022 GR86 Premium
68 Posts
Well, just ordered these TC4's for my GR86. Pretty sure these lugs will work, but want to confirm. Since offset is +50, and I think factory is +48, they'll be slightly more sunk into the wheel well, correct? What size spacers would you guys recommend to get closer to flush? I wanted to keep factory specs (apart from offset) because I like the handling characteristics as they stand now. With that, I could only find these in +50.
View attachment 10323
View attachment 10324
View attachment 10322
Looks like it will be an awesome setup, be a little cautios with those aluminum lug nuts, they tend to be on the softer side and are known to bend and even break sometimes (ask me how i know...) Just make sure you aren't using an impact gun on them and double check they are torqued often.

Side note to you having to order those wheels, a month and half is almost laughable. Wheels not in stock that are ordered from Japan are typically 8-12 months if you're lucky, unless the guys at Advan are wizards and can turn out wheels that quickly. I'd personally consider seeing if you can find something that will work that's already state side.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Looks like it will be an awesome setup, be a little cautios with those aluminum lug nuts, they tend to be on the softer side and are known to bend and even break sometimes (ask me how i know...) Just make sure you aren't using an impact gun on them and double check they are torqued often.

Side note to you having to order those wheels, a month and half is almost laughable. Wheels not in stock that are ordered from Japan are typically 8-12 months if you're lucky, unless the guys at Advan are wizards and can turn out wheels that quickly. I'd personally consider seeing if you can find something that will work that's already state side.
I was strictly going off estimates from another website, fingers crossed that they're just in stock in Japan since I imagine 18x7.5 isn't THAT uncommon there vs here, but I could be wrong. Should know what's up by the end of the week 🤞. And thanks for the heads up on the lugs, I saw they were "duralumin" alloy, figured there wasn't much more merit to it than normal but oh well.

I'm a sucker for 5 spokes and advan makes my favorites, so that part wasn't hard. Just wish they offered white in this spec but sadly no. Might get em powder coated, we'll see if the gunmetal grows on me.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts