Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all I am very excited to purchase the 2022 86'. Every day I am looking at news on the vehicle and that is how I found this wonderful website. Based on my excitement I went to a Toyota dealership this past Thursday and asked if I could leave my information so that they could contact me once pre-orders are up. In response to that one of the head sales representatives told me that the 2022 86' wasn't announced which immediately had red flags going off for me. When I showed him it was announced he stated that it wasn't on his inventory of vehicles coming in to the dealership for 2022 (showed me the inventory as well). I assumed that because it was so new that it wouldn't be listed. I told him it was coming to Japan in the fall and they estimate U.S. end of year or early 2022 but then he stated that he was notified that the car was discontinued in the U.S. due to poor sales.

So is this guy full of it, ignorant, or is he correct? Thanks for your help

·
Registered
694 Posts
Welcome @Gerbinto

It's probably a mix of being full of it, lack of future product knowledge.. and probably wanting you to buzz off so he could go back to selling Corollas... and maybe some others. Or maybe he meant current 86 production would be ceasing soon? What you experienced is very common (unfortunately), dealership folk don't know much and you'll often find communities like this to be infinitely more resourceful.

In the coming weeks and months Toyota/Subaru should start getting increasingly public about the new models.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Nothing has been confirmed yet. Upon checking Toyota’s US official website, on the Upcoming Vehicles section, I don’t see the GR 86. Only the bZ4X Concept and GR Hot Hatch are currently listed.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Welcome to the forum @Gerbinto! Technically he's correct that Toyota hasn't announced the American plans for the GR86 yet. But I think it's mostly just him not being informed and wanting to deal with the cars he already has, not with what's coming. But I wouldn't be worried about the GR86 not coming to the US. There's no way Toyota wouldn't offer it here.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.