Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

Registered
We will have to see if the new WRX is 26 grand. Hopefully it will be. I agree with you that there should be an STI version of the BRZ. That can be done with a re-tune of the engine and a slight upwork on the suspension. Didn't they do that in Japan with version #1 of the BRZ(except no additional power). I would not be surprised if Subaru does exactly what you suggest. But you do know that there is no way Subaru is going to turbo the BRZ. Ah but it is great to dream.

Registered
We will have to see if the new WRX is 26 grand. Hopefully it will be. I agree with you that there should be an STI version of the BRZ. That can be done with a re-tune of the engine and a slight upwork on the suspension. Didn't they do that in Japan with version #1 of the BRZ(except no additional power). I would not be surprised if Subaru does exactly what you suggest. But you do know that there is no way Subaru is going to turbo the BRZ. Ah but it is great to dream.
I was confused at first how you were coming at us. 馃槀 I鈥檓 glad we cleared that up.
But yeah it鈥檚 confusing to me that they didn鈥檛 throw the STi name on there at least. STi has been racing the BRZ and doing pretty well with it.

Registered
Well as you know the STI name IS historical for Subaru. Being that they have just come out with version 2 BRZ, I would suspect that in time they will come out with it. However, I would guess a year or two. But from past history, its only been suspension and cosmetics. Due to ever increasing emission regulations, I'm not optimistic on the engine front.

Registered
Well as you know the STI name IS historical for Subaru. Being that they have just come out with version 2 BRZ, I would suspect that in time they will come out with it. However, I would guess a year or two. But from past history, its only been suspension and cosmetics. Due to ever increasing emission regulations, I'm not optimistic on the engine front.
Engine wise they shouldn鈥檛 have to, if Toyota believes the 86 deserved the 鈥淕R鈥 badge then STi wouldn鈥檛 be too crazy with just suspension updates.

Super Moderator
I just thought that since this is last model, upgraded to higher levels of performance, that it should of been branded STi. I mean its a slam dunk, toyota re-branded to its performance division, so why not Subaru.

Missed opportunity.

Yeah no Sti performance model, this current model IS the Sti.

They are far too on the limit of NA physics to achieve much without significant and very expensive engine work IMO. And going to a turbo would be inconceivable. Its not like STi version of a WRX, where its relatively the same cohesive design.

Registered
Well what this shows is that Toyota and Subaru are different companies with different philosophies. Toyota made a clear move to market its sporting line vehicles under the GR label. They have now 2 sports cars and a rally sport hatchback under that label. Subaru has decided as of yet not to have an STI brand. Rather it seems that the STI version offering more performance and handling. Subaru of course is a much, much smaller company than Toyota. they cannot afford to offer 2 sports cars in different price brackets. Until (I assume) Toyota approached them about developing a chassis for their low cost sports car, Subaru was content to offer 2 turbo AWD performance sedans. WRX and WRX STI. So its no surprise where they are now.

Registered
Of course now I have to correct myself somewhat. STI Performance Did offer the BRZ tS in 2020 and STI Performance is the performance arm of Subaru since 1988. However, in the US for the BRZ they have never offered the tS version until late in the vehicles lifetime. Same for the WRX and STI. The S209 offered in 2019 was priced out of affordability. The 2020 WRX STI series white was more affordable but much less performance options and no engine enhancement. All the good stuff appears to remain in Japan. Again this seems to be the standard conservative approach by Subaru. Part of the problem is as I previously mentioned. Being small and lacking the budget to certify these performance offerings for emissions etc., it doesn't seem as though Subaru can bring these models into the US at an affordable price. On the BRZ they would really have to share the costs with Toyota or it aint gonna happen. And I think Toyota is reticent to give the GR86 more power so as to not encroach on the 4 Cylinder Supra. I think its really up to the aftermarket.

Registered
Of course now I have to correct myself somewhat. STI Performance Did offer the BRZ tS in 2020 and STI Performance is the performance arm of Subaru since 1988. However, in the US for the BRZ they have never offered the tS version until late in the vehicles lifetime. Same for the WRX and STI. The S209 offered in 2019 was priced out of affordability. The 2020 WRX STI series white was more affordable but much less performance options and no engine enhancement. All the good stuff appears to remain in Japan. Again this seems to be the standard conservative approach by Subaru. Part of the problem is as I previously mentioned. Being small and lacking the budget to certify these performance offerings for emissions etc., it doesn't seem as though Subaru can bring these models into the US at an affordable price. On the BRZ they would really have to share the costs with Toyota or it aint gonna happen. And I think Toyota is reticent to give the GR86 more power so as to not encroach on the 4 Cylinder Supra. I think its really up to the aftermarket.
Well as far as building the twins go, Subaru could鈥檝e done it, they just didn鈥檛 want to build it at first due to them being known for awd cars. Toyota took a Impreza, chopped it up and made a prototype that was good enough for Subaru to agree.

An we all know why the GR86/BRZ isn鈥檛 turbocharged. Yes it would definitely eat at Supra and WRX sales at that point. We also know they want the twins to stay in that 28k-33k ball park so it allows Toyota to have the 鈥3rd鈥 performance brother at 37k-43k.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts