Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
WR Blue Pearl 2022 BRZ Limited 6AT
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Now that these cars are out in the wild, I wanted to check back in on if anyone's heard about companies developing improvements for the 6AT. I love the car, and upshifts are a breeze, but as I'm sure you 6AT owners are aware, downshifts are restricted and the full auto mode is unpredictable in sport mode. I wanted to see if anyone's heard about mods coming out - I know about the valve body mod for the previous gen, but I was hoping software improvements would show themselves shortly. I'm mainly looking for the ability to downshift to redline and a track-oriented full auto tune (always holds lowest gear available).

Cheers,

Justin

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hi @Noobtber

I’m looking to order a GR86 6AT. Could you explain some more about the way the transmission behaves please? I won’t be taking my car on a track but we do have some nice country roads which would normally be driven in 3/4 gear.

Thanks

Andy

·
Registered
6 Posts
Contact one of the well known tuners and offer to use your car for auto trans testing to get what you desire. Might only require email tunes without being local.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi @Noobtber

I’m looking to order a GR86 6AT. Could you explain some more about the way the transmission behaves please? I won’t be taking my car on a track but we do have some nice country roads which would normally be driven in 3/4 gear.

Thanks

Andy
Hey Andy,

First of all, I don't want to discount the choice to buy a 6AT. EyeSight alone is worth it. Here are some of the concerns I have:

When in manual mode, downshifts are very snappy. The engine blips properly, and it finds the gear quickly. However, the car prevents you from downshifting to redline - out of the 7500RPM the engine can use, it normally only allows you to downshift to 6000RPM. This would be fine in a torque motor, but this is a power motor - to get the most out of this engine, we need to use as many high RPMs as possible. This isn't something you'd notice on a backroad, it's great to drive there - only when you're doing hard braking on a track will the car beep at you and tell you the downshift isn't available.

Regarding my comments about full auto mode - regular driving is fine, it shifts like a normal car. Will use the right gear based on throttle position. However, the Sport mode shifting is a little funky. Subaru/Toyota apparently wanted to walk the line between a full track shift pattern and a slightly sporty shift pattern, and in my opinion, did a mediocre job at both. When the car detects you're driving "aggressively", it will turn up the aggressiveness factor on the shifting. It will hold gears after you let off the throttle and it will downshift as high as it can go under hard braking (which by the way, sounds so cool when the car does it - it just slams off 4 -> 3 and 3 -> 2 right after each other, LIKE A TRACK CAR). However, this aggressive behavior only happens when the car thinks you're driving hard - which in my experience, means stabby throttle, jerky braking, crazy hard cornering (beyond canyon carving). If you start to drive smoothly, like you should if you intend to go quickly on a track, the car begins to modify these shift patterns into an economy-focused sport mode. In smooth driving, the car's sport mode normally holds one gear lower than regular mode and is a small bit faster to downshift. In my opinion, these two shifting modes should not be one setting.

In conclusion, what I'm looking for is:

1. A way to downshift all the way to redline
2. A way to force the automatic mapping into track mode without compromise.

Please let me know if this helps!

-Justin

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Contact one of the well known tuners and offer to use your car for auto trans testing to get what you desire. Might only require email tunes without being local.
This sounds like a good idea. Would you have any recommendations as to who would be a good contact?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I contacted EcuTek about this. Here's what they told me:

Hi Justin,

That is unclear at the moment. We are in the process of the engineering required to offer ECM tuning atm so if we do offer TCM, it will come after we have launched the ECM product. To offer TCM tuning will require investigation. I have no timeline for you on ECM release as yet I'm afraid.

Tobin
I'm sure the more people that mention these suggestions to them, the more likely they are to provide some TCM tuning. Oh well, I'll check back in with them in March.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts