Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Selling my NC Miata to move over to a GR86.

In the NC I had PCI fixed mounts, Sparco QRT-R, and the steering wheel extender from 949racing.

I 100% need to the steering wheel extender again from 949racing, however, for seats I'm a bit dumbfounded. I could get a bucket (or reuse the same bucket) with slider mounts and see if I fit with a helmet. My only concern is that just like the Miata I'll need to use a fuse to give the side airbag (that seems to be part of the seat) a signal so I have no airbag light and they deploy (except for the seat one) without issue.

Anyone facing a similar challenge? Any food for thought would be awesome. Best would be if someone found out how to lower the stock seats without needing to do a foamectomy (basically slice some of the foam off the seats, a true Miata thing, lol).

Registered
Ahh yes, the foamectomy. I've done a few of those with an electric turkey carver. 馃ぃ

I still don't have my BRZ, so I am unsure of how I will fit with a helmet. I'm hoping there won't be any clearance issues. I was able to fit into an FRS with no issues in the past (I'm 6').

Registered
2022 GR86 Premium

In the NC I had PCI fixed mounts, Sparco QRT-R, and the steering wheel extender from 949racing.

I 100% need to the steering wheel extender again from 949racing, however, for seats I'm a bit dumbfounded. I could get a bucket (or reuse the same bucket) with slider mounts and see if I fit with a helmet. My only concern is that just like the Miata I'll need to use a fuse to give the side airbag (that seems to be part of the seat) a signal so I have no airbag light and they deploy (except for the seat one) without issue.

Anyone facing a similar challenge? Any food for thought would be awesome. Best would be if someone found out how to lower the stock seats without needing to do a foamectomy (basically slice some of the foam off the seats, a true Miata thing, lol).
I'm 6'3 and I fit in it with a helmet on, not well, but I fit. Oddly enough the GR has more space then my Mazda 3 and Focus RS did, I guess the lack of sunroof helps. I've been lurking to try and find a solution to this problem though as well. I originally thought I wanted a couple Recaro Sportsters, but from talking to one or two who have done it, that seat setup is higher then oem, so that won't work. I was chatting with a guy who put a similar seat to a Recaro Pole Position (can't recall exactly what Recaro it was) and paired it with a BuddyClub super low down mount. He said he found it sat a bit lower and that the seat belt was close to his neck, so he added padding. I don't think someone of your or my stature will have this issue, I believe this is the most tall person friendly way of doing this.

I was leary of going fixed back at first, but after talking to a few buddies, once you get the seat set how you want, you never change it anyways, so who cares right.

Finally like you mentioned you will need to use a resistor to trick the airbag on the drivers side (3 ohms I believe) and the passenger however is a whole new can of worms, due to the weight sensor for the airbag on that side.

I'm going to go for a single bucket seat for now in the spring and see if the aftermarket comes up with any sort of solution for the passenger side before matching it.

Registered
I'm not quite as tall as you guys are, but with a helmet on I had to recline my seat a little more than I usually would to get the clearance I needed. I'm thinking of getting the wheel extender because it feels just slightly farther than I would like with the more reclined position.

Registered

I have the same problem. I am going to a race seat shop in Charlotte to get their assessment of what will fit. I don't order seats online because you must sit in them to assess comfort and support. OG Racing in VA would be a great place to go, or something similar. Other options I am considering is removing ceiling liner and having a Gurney bump installed. But first to the seating experts. I will update this post as I find good information.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts