Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner

303 Graphene Coating, doesnt seem like it lasts all that long....

12K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  Boomer2677 
Too many variables involved when determining how long a coating will last. Daily driven 300 miles a week with no garage? (like my situation), expect the coating to last about half of the time they claim...that goes for waxes & low end ceramic coatings.

Here's the products I've used on my daily driven vehicles:

• Meguiars Gold Class wax (1 coat): Lasted about a month, good shine
  • Turtle Wax Hybrid Ceramic (2 coats): Lasted about 2 months, wasn't impressed with it's hydrophobic properties, shine, or slickness.
  • Turtle Wax Hybrid Graphene (2 coats): Lasted about 3 months, hydrophobic properties slightly better than the ceramic version. Shine & slickness about the same, not impressive.
  • Griot's 3-in-1 Ceramic (1 coat): Lasted about 4 months, hydrophobic properties much better than the 3 products above. Shine & slickness good but not amazing.
  • Mckee's 37 Hydro Pro Blue (2 coats): Lasted about 3 months. Had great hydrophobic properties, great shine, super slick.
  • Gyeon Q2M WetCoat (2 coats): don't know about the longevity yet as I've only had this applied for a couple weeks (I expect 2-3 months). The best hydrophobic properties I've used, the best shine, just as slick as McKee's
In terms of the cheap ceramic products, Gyeon has impressed me the most...and it's the easiest to apply: spray on, rinse off. The McKee's is spray on rinse off as well. One I will probably try in the future is Gyeon Cancoat, suppose to have an amazing amount of SiO2 for the price.

A real ceramic coating is paramount, but considering you have to refresh the coating every 3-4 months with a ceramic topper...I'd basically be doing what I have been doing every 3 months anyway. So, for myself, I couldn't really justify the cost.
I went with the Mothers CMX Ceramic spray coating product. After 4 months it still gives me small water beads and a good shine (when I wash the car...). My car is garaged and only driven a couple of times a week so that helps. I'm happy with the product.
I have to protest a bit here. Most of these are as chrisz5z very cleverly hinted at aren't "real" ceramic coatings. It isnt a real ceramic coating unless you have the possibility of fucking up your car with flash times. Thats a byproduct of ceramic coatings by default, which is why people say to take it to a professional.

I am with LiquidSnake on this one and concur that ceramic coatings are game changers. None of these spray-on ones though. Go find one that will last 5 years and you'll note the difference.

PS, real ceramic coatings don't have to be stupid expensive. For example:
Heres one for $25
Another for $40
Another for $20

I personally, am a huge fan of gtechniqs ceramic coatings due to seeing them used by multiple detailers in the valley, and on YouTube.

For those interested, take a look at Chicago Auto Pros reviews of 26 different ceramic/wax/protective coatings:

Also, if you guys love watching high end detailing jobs, look at chicago auto pros doing a $10k detailing job on this NSX :love::

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.