Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2022 BRZ, Ice Silver, MT, Limited
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, like many of you guys I get into the detailing aspect of my car and always like to try new things if there is a tangible reason to do so. One new product that really caught my eye was the 303 Graphene Coating spray. I was intrigued. Ive always been an old-school "wash frequently & wax as needed with a quality carnauba" product guy. Its never let me down.

So, I have NOT used this 303 stuff myself as Im still using carnauba wax at this stage but most of the reviews Ive seen say its great at first but after 2-3 months the affect starts to wear off, especially on the sides and lower portions of the car which get the most abuse. So, my point here is: If this and some of these other new, "hot" products dont really last much longer than a regular wax, why bother? Like I said, Ive never had issues with traditional waxes and dont mind waxing my car everfy few months/as needed. I enjoy it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yes, apparently 303 doesn't last very long compared to other products. Of course, no spray on coating will last as long as a proper ceramic coating but there's a few that are highly regarded and should last 4-6 months or so. I personally use Turtle Wax Hybrid Ceramic coating, and I've heard Griots 3-in-1 spray ceramic is pretty good as well. Adams has a graphene coating as well but I'm not sure how well that holds up comparably. I'd start with those.

·
Registered
2022 Pavement GR86 , 2019 Shelby GT350R
933 Posts
So, like many of you guys I get into the detailing aspect of my car and always like to try new things if there is a tangible reason to do so. One new product that really caught my eye was the 303 Graphene Coating spray. I was intrigued. Ive always been an old-school "wash frequently & wax as needed with a quality carnauba" product guy. Its never let me down.

So, I have NOT used this 303 stuff myself as Im still using carnauba wax at this stage but most of the reviews Ive seen say its great at first but after 2-3 months the affect starts to wear off, especially on the sides and lower portions of the car which get the most abuse. So, my point here is: If this and some of these other new, "hot" products dont really last much longer than a regular wax, why bother? Like I said, Ive never had issues with traditional waxes and dont mind waxing my car everfy few months/as needed. I enjoy it.
I'm still not a ceramic coating adopter guy. I use Pinnacle Soveran carnuba after clay bar, and paint polish using a Porter Cable 7424 about every 3 months.....

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've tried turtle wax hybrid ceramic and also the graphene stuff from turtle wax as well.
From my amateur experience (I'm not a pro or die hard detailer) they look great and reject water easily but they only last anywhere between 3 weeks to 2 months despite what's advertised.
My car is usually outside dealing with the sun and rain too.

Maybe it would last 6 months to a year if I actually had it garage kept....but for a car that's going to be outside it doesn't last that long in my experience.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've tried turtle wax hybrid ceramic and also the graphene stuff from turtle wax as well.
From my amateur experience (I'm not a pro or die hard detailer) they look great and reject water easily but they only last anywhere between 3 weeks to 2 months despite what's advertised.
My car is usually outside dealing with the sun and rain too.

Maybe it would last 6 months to a year if I actually had it garage kept....but for a car that's going to be outside it doesn't last that long in my experience.
And the longevity is their(ceramic/graphene) biggest alleged advantage over standard waxes. Hmmmm. I can tell you that after a fresh waxing of using say Chemical Guys butter wax, my beading and water repellent is just as good as any of these new products. Maybe they are better for UV protection but my car doesnt sit out on the sun that often anyways. I dunno, starting to just go back to my usual stuff and not over-complicate this, LOL.

·
Registered
917 Posts
My pro detailer told me that the smaller the water beads, the better the hydrophobic coating is. In my experience wax produces big, beautiful beads but graphene produces very small beads that may be better for shedding water. I ran my graphene-coated car through a touchless wash the other days and drive straight home. The water literally flew off the car. When I got home all I needed to detail was the flat part of the rear bumper and of course the rockers under the side mirrors. My car is garaged except when being driven so I do expect an application of graphene to last a few months.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My pro detailer told me that the smaller the water beads, the better the hydrophobic coating is. In my experience wax produces big, beautiful beads but graphene produces very small beads that may be better for shedding water. I ran my graphene-coated car through a touchless wash the other days and drive straight home. The water literally flew off the car. When I got home all I needed to detail was the flat part of the rear bumper and of course the rockers under the side mirrors. My car is garaged except when being driven so I do expect an application of graphene to last a few months.
I just applied the 303 yesterday and my car sits outside I’ll report back after it’s been on for awhile.
Ceramic coating even some by myself was a game changer. An absolute game changer.
Thanks gents - and looking for some longer term feedback here so please do keep me posted: AR86, Ritter, etc. . :)

On new product I will be trying on my wifes RAV4 is the Mothers speed clay 2.0. Her car needs it and Im going to try that out this weekend. Hope to report back on that. Full clay & wax.

·
Registered
22' Steel GR86 6MT
90 Posts
Too many variables involved when determining how long a coating will last. Daily driven 300 miles a week with no garage? (like my situation), expect the coating to last about half of the time they claim...that goes for waxes & low end ceramic coatings.

Here's the products I've used on my daily driven vehicles:

• Meguiars Gold Class wax (1 coat): Lasted about a month, good shine
  • Turtle Wax Hybrid Ceramic (2 coats): Lasted about 2 months, wasn't impressed with it's hydrophobic properties, shine, or slickness.
  • Turtle Wax Hybrid Graphene (2 coats): Lasted about 3 months, hydrophobic properties slightly better than the ceramic version. Shine & slickness about the same, not impressive.
  • Griot's 3-in-1 Ceramic (1 coat): Lasted about 4 months, hydrophobic properties much better than the 3 products above. Shine & slickness good but not amazing.
  • Mckee's 37 Hydro Pro Blue (2 coats): Lasted about 3 months. Had great hydrophobic properties, great shine, super slick.
  • Gyeon Q2M WetCoat (2 coats): don't know about the longevity yet as I've only had this applied for a couple weeks (I expect 2-3 months). The best hydrophobic properties I've used, the best shine, just as slick as McKee's
In terms of the cheap ceramic products, Gyeon has impressed me the most...and it's the easiest to apply: spray on, rinse off. The McKee's is spray on rinse off as well. One I will probably try in the future is Gyeon Cancoat, suppose to have an amazing amount of SiO2 for the price.

A real ceramic coating is paramount, but considering you have to refresh the coating every 3-4 months with a ceramic topper...I'd basically be doing what I have been doing every 3 months anyway. So, for myself, I couldn't really justify the cost.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I went with the Mothers CMX Ceramic spray coating product. After 4 months it still gives me small water beads and a good shine (when I wash the car...). My car is garaged and only driven a couple of times a week so that helps. I'm happy with the product.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Too many variables involved when determining how long a coating will last. Daily driven 300 miles a week with no garage? (like my situation), expect the coating to last about half of the time they claim...that goes for waxes & low end ceramic coatings.

• Turtle Wax Hybrid Ceramic (2 coats): Lasted about 2 months, wasn't impressed with it's hydrophobic properties, shine, or slickness.
  • Turtle Wax Hybrid Graphene (2 coats): Lasted about 3 months, hydrophobic properties slightly better than the ceramic version. Shine & slickness about the same, not impressive.
  • Griot's 3-in-1 Ceramic (1 coat): Lasted about 4 months, hydrophobic properties much better than the 3 products above. Shine & slickness good but not amazing.
  • Mckee's 37 Hydro Pro Blue (2 coats): Lasted about 3 months. Had great hydrophobic properties, great shine, super slick.
  • Gyeon Q2M WetCoat (2 coats): don't know about the longevity yet as I've only had this applied for a couple weeks (I expect 2-3 months). The best hydrophobic properties I've used, the best shine, just as slick as McKee's
In terms of the cheap ceramic products, Gyeon has impressed me the most...and it's the easiest to apply: spray on, rinse off. The McKee's is spray on rinse off as well. One I will probably try in the future is Gyeon Cancoat, suppose to have an amazing amount of SiO2 for the price.

A real ceramic coating is paramount, but considering you have to refresh the coating every 3-4 months with a ceramic topper...I'd basically be doing what I have been doing every 3 months anyway. So, for myself, I couldn't really justify the cost.
You've convinced me to try the Gyeon, I'm going to grab some this weekend. Stoked to check it out!

·
Registered
2022 White BRZ
155 Posts

I went with the Mothers CMX Ceramic spray coating product. After 4 months it still gives me small water beads and a good shine (when I wash the car...). My car is garaged and only driven a couple of times a week so that helps. I'm happy with the product.
I have to protest a bit here. Most of these are as chrisz5z very cleverly hinted at aren't "real" ceramic coatings. It isnt a real ceramic coating unless you have the possibility of fucking up your car with flash times. Thats a byproduct of ceramic coatings by default, which is why people say to take it to a professional.

I am with LiquidSnake on this one and concur that ceramic coatings are game changers. None of these spray-on ones though. Go find one that will last 5 years and you'll note the difference.

PS, real ceramic coatings don't have to be stupid expensive. For example:
Heres one for $25
Another for $40
Another for $20

I personally, am a huge fan of gtechniqs ceramic coatings due to seeing them used by multiple detailers in the valley, and on YouTube.

For those interested, take a look at Chicago Auto Pros reviews of 26 different ceramic/wax/protective coatings:

Also, if you guys love watching high end detailing jobs, look at chicago auto pros doing a $10k detailing job on this NSX :love::

·
Registered
22' Steel GR86 6MT
90 Posts
I have to protest a bit here. Most of these are as chrisz5z very cleverly hinted at aren't "real" ceramic coatings. It isnt a real ceramic coating unless you have the possibility of fucking up your car with flash times. Thats a byproduct of ceramic coatings by default, which is why people say to take it to a professional.

I am with LiquidSnake on this one and concur that ceramic coatings are game changers. None of these spray-on ones though. Go find one that will last 5 years and you'll note the difference.

PS, real ceramic coatings don't have to be stupid expensive. For example:
Heres one for $25
Another for $40
Another for $20

I personally, am a huge fan of gtechniqs ceramic coatings due to seeing them used by multiple detailers in the valley, and on YouTube.

For those interested, take a look at Chicago Auto Pros reviews of 26 different ceramic/wax/protective coatings:

Also, if you guys love watching high end detailing jobs, look at chicago auto pros doing a $10k detailing job on this NSX :love::
You are correct. The only thing keeping me from applying a real ceramic coating is I do not have a garage.

·
Registered
2022 GR86 Premium AT Trueno Blue
179 Posts
I have used nearly all the current Meguiar's wax products and Griots 3-in-1 is definitely way better, but it can be hard to get off because it tends to smear more than anything else I've tried.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No doubt its a "zoo" out there for car detail products. I have read countless claims of praise or dont use xxxxx about every singe product andl/or brand out there. Ugh. LOL. I just try things out myself and if somethng works then great. If not, then I dont use it. Lately, Ive been happy with the Chemical Guys waterless wash for my wheels and front end. After basically every drive I use this on the wheels and front of the car for bug removal. Once you use it a few times it gives a nice sealant coating so subsequent cleanings are easy and very little sticks to my paint or wheels.

As for 303 - I might still try out a bottle.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts