Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Oh, lol you must really hate the guy then :ROFLMAO:
I don’t hate him at all. I liked his BRZ review, he gave good insight based off prior ownership, which was nice.

I don’t like when people act entitled. Because when you have people saying “I’ve been waiting for SubaruWRXFans view, he’s going to kill Subaru.” and hes feeding off of it that’s fake to me .😂

·
Registered
238 Posts
I don't think he was being fake. Like everyone he was looking forward to the new one coming out. Like everyone he was hoping that the styling would not be so toned down that it would create disappointment for not sticking more to the latest concept car. The cladding personally does not make any sense unless that Subaru has plans for some raised wagon version of the WRX. Maybe this will end up being something like the Levorg. There, the cladding might make more sense. I think Matt is simply expressing shock and surprise as to what Subaru has done here. How in gods name does the rear bumper make any sense other than to assume there is another model in the pipeline and having the same bumper is a production cost cut. The bumper cladding could very well be a styling by committee decision. Further I might add that using his personal cars as a method of criticizing him is a bit of a cheap shot. If you don't like his reviews fine(and I admit some I do disagree with). Now he may have fans. Well so what. I'm not a fan and I'm not subscribed to him. However, here, he makes some good points on the new WRX that point to cost cutting. The interior plastics in certain areas are cheap. The very large infotainment system in (my opinon) has no place in a sports sedan. The fact the the GT model only comes in the CVT(which Subaru will only call a Sport Performance Transmission) makes little sense considering there is a large majority of WRX sales have come with a manual transmission is a valid point he made. Further we don't know what this car is going to weigh in at. If the weight has gone up and the torque is the same and at the same previous RPM that could spell slower acceleration. Finally the rev limit has dropped to 6100 RPM. It really seems that Subaru working with Toyota produced a better BRZ/86. However, until there are enough reviews on how the WRX drives and performs you have to really reserve judgment on if it is a good or better car. I will simply say parts of it look good from the outside and the Orange metallic is a good color for it. It will be interesting what the after market body kits look like. The after market could be wide open how to properly "finish" your WRX.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Subaru is trying to have it both ways. They want to keep their WRX fan base while attracting the Crossover crowd. The suspension is slightly raised up. The engine tuning is conservative. The top GT version is CVT only. I predict an additional "Wagon" model in a year or so. I don't think it will be the Levorg. The WRX could represent a bridge vehicle between a performance sedan and a performance Crossover. It has the extra ground clearance to go off road when the need arises and the performance to compete with GTI, GLI, Civic SI and Hatchback, Type R, Hyundai Veloster and Kona N but not directly because of its AWD capability. It may still be a very good car to drive but I think Subaru may have changed the formula slightly in order to increase the WRX base to new customers.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Subaru is trying to have it both ways. They want to keep their WRX fan base while attracting the Crossover crowd. The suspension is slightly raised up. The engine tuning is conservative. The top GT version is CVT only. I predict an additional "Wagon" model in a year or so. I don't think it will be the Levorg. The WRX could represent a bridge vehicle between a performance sedan and a performance Crossover. It has the extra ground clearance to go off road when the need arises and the performance to compete with GTI, GLI, Civic SI and Hatchback, Type R, Hyundai Veloster and Kona N but not directly because of its AWD capability. It may still be a very good car to drive but I think Subaru may have changed the formula slightly in order to increase the WRX base to new customers.
It’ll still sell regardless of what we think. That’s Subaru’s thing with the WRX. People criticize it rightfully, someone says “yeah but THIS one definitely won’t sale.” and it still sales.

Next WRX redesign will be controversial too and so on. I remember when they thought the 08-09 WRX looked like a mom car too. 😂

·
Registered
238 Posts
Oh I think it will definitely sell. There is no doubt about that. I did read from a quick look on Motor Trend that the ground clearance has been increased by 1/2 inch. Further I read that the Levorg which does apparently share this platform is getting this engine and may be called WRX in other markets. That is why I am questioning where Subaru is going with the WRX. I will say in that Metallic Orange the Black cladding works(excluding the back end which I cannot understand).

·
Registered
298 Posts
Oh I think it will definitely sell. There is no doubt about that. I did read from a quick look on Motor Trend that the ground clearance has been increased by 1/2 inch. Further I read that the Levorg which does apparently share this platform is getting this engine and may be called WRX in other markets. That is why I am questioning where Subaru is going with the WRX. I will say in that Metallic Orange the Black cladding works(excluding the back end which I cannot understand).
Now that it’s on their global architecture to save money but help overall dynamics across the lineup, the WRX will have some minor trade offs.
The STi should have everything sorted as far as height, performance etc.

oddly enough the more I look at it, the more I don’t hate it (I owned a 2017 WRX). The only thing I can’t get over is the flatscreen tv they have in the center console.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Yes-That Tesla style flat screen. For a Sports sedan why put it in? But as you say this is the "Global Architecture". Therefore it would make sense for corporate cost cutting to do this and taking it out of the Outback and Accent makes total sense. The one part I just cannot get past is that overly complicated rear bumper. The rear tail lights don't bother me either because the internals look a little BRZ/GR86 and the shape does look a little Civiky. But frankly people complained about the rear tail lights in the BRZ/GR86 as well. I like them. But considering that Subaru has pioneered and continued to sell this "wagon" type vehicles, why not have a performance WRX wagon like the Levorg. It would seem to me to be a natural and it would expand the WRX base of customers. If they market it right I think it could be a "homerun" for them. As for the engine, its either cost cutting or emissions regulation or both. Its going to be interesting to see what they do for the STI. My sense. Similar power and torque as the previous STI. No real power bump.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Yes-That Tesla style flat screen. For a Sports sedan why put it in? But as you say this is the "Global Architecture". Therefore it would make sense for corporate cost cutting to do this and taking it out of the Outback and Accent makes total sense. The one part I just cannot get past is that overly complicated rear bumper. The rear tail lights don't bother me either because the internals look a little BRZ/GR86 and the shape does look a little Civiky. But frankly people complained about the rear tail lights in the BRZ/GR86 as well. I like them. But considering that Subaru has pioneered and continued to sell this "wagon" type vehicles, why not have a performance WRX wagon like the Levorg. It would seem to me to be a natural and it would expand the WRX base of customers. If they market it right I think it could be a "homerun" for them. As for the engine, its either cost cutting or emissions regulation or both. Its going to be interesting to see what they do for the STI. My sense. Similar power and torque as the previous STI. No real power bump.
It’s because wagons don’t sell well in certain markets. Even though realistically, instead of crossovers, people should be in wagons. Aka: the average consumer. Also the original WRXs were coupe and sedan imprezas, not hatches/wagons.

WRX is still faithful to its dna, as much as the plastic on the rear and fenders throws me off too, it fits it’s rally, rough image. The engine is improved actually similar to the twins, not a big bump but they smoothed out its power band.

Now the STi is what everyone is truly waiting for considering it’s finally getting away from the EJ. Hopefully they make it worthy of the name as it’s their flagship performance car.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Sketch Monkey did a nice clean up of the rear end moved the wheels out. I normally do not agree sometimes with changes he makes on cars. However in this case he really has great ideas that make the rear end cleaner as well as giving it a more commonality with the BRZ. This design actually makes sense to me.

·
Registered
44 Posts
CVT = no sale IMO. The minimum in 2021 is a torque converter six-speed automatic. Aisin makes some excellent automatics.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I always liked the WRX/STi, always been a fan, love the look and AWD. Everytime I stop by the dealership I pick up a couple of brochures specifically WRX/Sti ones. hoping one day I would buy one. But now, it's kinda like the new WRX is not my cup of tea look wise. I don't mind the interior, it doesn't look too bad. Just the exterior design looks so generic for Subaru now because of the global platform. Now it's like all the cars have the same engine and the same chassis. That really doesn't make the WRX/Sti differ from say a CrossTrek or a Legacy, or etc etc etc. I was hoping the WRX would look good because if it's the same pricing as it was before, it would be in the running for my next car, now though, no so much.
Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

Well, if this WRX STi leak is to become a reality, I think it looks a lot better and cleaner than the WRX. Looks a lot more premium too. What do you think?

·
Registered
2023 Toyota GR 86
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
View attachment 2373
Well, if this WRX STi leak is to become a reality, I think it looks a lot better and cleaner than the WRX. Looks a lot more premium too. What do you think?
It needs a revamp and the rear lights and larger headlights. The painted arches makes the car look better. The Wing shouldn't be black and should be colour matched.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Much improved over the standard WRX. Not quite sure Subaru's infatuation with black cladding. To me black cladding always symbolized the base model as a way for the company to offer a model at a cheaper price. I guess it would be fairly easy to get the wing painted.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts