Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

Registered
2023 Toyota GR 86
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car

What does everyone think of the car? I'd like to know your thoughts!

Registered
2017 Subaru Impreza Wagon CVT :(
Very underwhelming. Miniscule power and torque increase, most likely weighs more because of the added features, plastic cladding makes it look more like a lowered Crosstrek than a sport sedan, and the GT pack is only offered with the CVT. All that leaves me worried about how the STi will turn out. However, I'm glad that there is an affordable, sporty, AWD sedan that still offers a manual transmission. And that orange looks fantastic too, but I'm biased because it's my favorite color.

This was on my short list of cars that I would be interested in for my next car. The GR86 remains on the top of it.

Reactions: gh0st888

Registered
2023 Toyota GR 86
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
if anyone's interested TFLnow gathered a few reactions towards the car.

Registered
Here's Matt Maran's take on it.. former Subaruwrxfan
All the commenters are like "Ahhhh Matts gonna kill Subaru! this is why they didn't invite the SubaruWRXFan!"

He never owned a WRX, so his opinion doesn't matter as much as they think it does. To reiterate, WRX always had super controversial redesigns. The designs are always striking in some way, yet on release you see them everywhere.

Registered
2023 Toyota GR 86
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All the commenters are like "Ahhhh Matts gonna kill Subaru! this is why they didn't invite the SubaruWRXFan!"

He never owned a WRX, so his opinion doesn't matter as much as they think it does. To reiterate, WRX always had super controversial redesigns. The designs are always striking in some way, yet on release you see them everywhere.
I find that hilarious, he bought a BRZ instead if I remember right.

Registered

I've always laughed about that. When the 08 WRX came out, everyone hated it. When the 15 came out, everybody hated it. It's funny because Subaru never seems to fix this issue but sell plenty of these things.

Registered
I find that hilarious, he bought a BRZ instead if I remember right.
By his account all he could afford was a BRZ, but he couldn鈥檛 afford it really after awhile so he traded it in for a Mini, then when he saw the new Mustang 4 cylinder he had to have it.

that鈥檚 what lead to the infamous GoFundMe thing where he asked his followers to help him afford a certain package on the Mustang, then he eventually traded that in anyways.Lol.

Everytime he reviews a new WRX his followers take his word as gospel for some reason. All because his original name was Subaruwrxfan.

Registered
I've always laughed about that. When the 08 WRX came out, everyone hated it. When the 15 came out, everybody hated it. It's funny because Subaru never seems to fix this issue but sell plenty of these things.
Yeah they have their following for sure. I think the weird charm of the WRX is they try to do something outside the box. In return you get something that鈥檚 very different from its competitors

I think the plastic is a little much but the pros are you could absolutely rip this thing around and probably be okay. Which contributes to the whole rugged, rally style.

Registered
I wonder if those considering getting a new BRZ(GR 86) would be in to take the WRX instead and why? I find the new WRX having a lot of plastic cladding, perhaps to make it look more like a rally car. More of a love it or hate it design. The tail lights look like inspired by the BRZ , just more of square-ish rather than curves layout.

Registered
2023 Toyota GR 86
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
By his account all he could afford was a BRZ, but he couldn鈥檛 afford it really after awhile so he traded it in for a Mini, then when he saw the new Mustang 4 cylinder he had to have it.

that鈥檚 what lead to the infamous GoFundMe thing where he asked his followers to help him afford a certain package on the Mustang, then he eventually traded that in anyways.Lol.

Everytime he reviews a new WRX his followers take his word as gospel for some reason. All because his original name was Subaruwrxfan.
Oh yes, the Ecoboost Mustang. haha I don't take anyone's word as gospel though, I thought it was interesting from his perspective as a fan. You can be a fan of something but still never own the car. lol.

Registered
Oh yes, the Ecoboost Mustang. haha I don't take anyone's word as gospel though, I thought it was interesting from his perspective as a fan. You can be a fan of something but still never own the car. lol.
Oh yes of course but to act like you have some supreme opinion is insane. How he鈥檚 carrying himself rubs me the wrong way in his replies.

Registered
I wonder if those considering getting a new BRZ(GR 86) would be in to take the WRX instead and why? I find the new WRX having a lot of plastic cladding, perhaps to make it look more like a rally car. More of a love it or hate it design. The tail lights look like inspired by the BRZ , just more of square-ish rather than curves layout.
Power, space, awd really.

Registered
2023 Toyota GR 86
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I always liked the WRX/STi, always been a fan, love the look and AWD. Everytime I stop by the dealership I pick up a couple of brochures specifically WRX/Sti ones. hoping one day I would buy one. But now, it's kinda like the new WRX is not my cup of tea look wise. I don't mind the interior, it doesn't look too bad. Just the exterior design looks so generic for Subaru now because of the global platform. Now it's like all the cars have the same engine and the same chassis. That really doesn't make the WRX/Sti differ from say a CrossTrek or a Legacy, or etc etc etc. I was hoping the WRX would look good because if it's the same pricing as it was before, it would be in the running for my next car, now though, no so much.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts