Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

Registered
Emailed a Toyota dealer about info on the gr86 and 2.0 supra in the uk. " We do not have too many details on the GR86 other than it being a turbo charged 250bhp car. It is going to be an all new car from the ground up, there will be no part on the new GR86 from the GT86, it will be an all new car. At this stage we have no information on when further details will be confirmed." looked into the guy and hes just left school so ill take it with a pinch of salt. Especially after this line "It may be that we never see a 2.0 Supra in the UK due to the fact the GR86 will boast similar performance figures"
I'm surprised they said it was going to be turbocharged. I'm going to take that with a grain a salt because a lot of times dealers are out of the loop with what's going on.

2022 Toyota GR86 Specs
  • Output: 260 horsepower, 277 lb-ft of torque
  • Engine: turbocharged 2.4-liter flat-four
  • Transmission: automatic and 6-speed manual
  • Drivetrain: rear-wheel-drive
  • 0-60 MPH: 5.6 seconds
  • Curb Weight: 2500 lbs
A Subaru sourced 2.4-liter engine and new TGNA architecture from Toyota will help to create the next-generation 86 sports car. At least that's what some reputable sources suggest. To me, its all but confirmed because there's little else Toyota could or should do. Hence the specs I put together above that are derived from it.

Now, that's just scraping the surface of GR86 specs.
We'll need to know the length, width, height, wheelbase, center of gravity, suspension (double wishbone rear?), active driving features (vehicle stability control, active rear sport differential), steering type (electric power steering is likely), and many more.

I have high hopes that final specs reveal a well sorted sports car. Till then lets try to figure this out...
Why are you talking about the 2022 when the 2021 is not even available. The 2021 will not be released
2022 Toyota GR86 Specs
  • Output: 260 horsepower, 277 lb-ft of torque
  • Engine: turbocharged 2.4-liter flat-four
  • Transmission: automatic and 6-speed manual
  • Drivetrain: rear-wheel-drive
  • 0-60 MPH: 5.6 seconds
  • Curb Weight: 2500 lbs
A Subaru sourced 2.4-liter engine and new TGNA architecture from Toyota will help to create the next-generation 86 sports car. At least that's what some reputable sources suggest. To me, its all but confirmed because there's little else Toyota could or should do. Hence the specs I put together above that are derived from it.

Now, that's just scraping the surface of GR86 specs.
We'll need to know the length, width, height, wheelbase, center of gravity, suspension (double wishbone rear?), active driving features (vehicle stability control, active rear sport differential), steering type (electric power steering is likely), and many more.

I have high hopes that final specs reveal a well sorted sports car. Till then lets try to figure this out...
Its a little too soon to be guessing about the 2022 GR86, when the 2021 won鈥檛 be available until Spring or Summer of 2021.
I鈥檓 more interested why the 2021 GR86 isn鈥檛 shown on Toyota鈥檚 website, including the Future Vehicles section,
when other models, including the 2021 Supra is? There are no new 2020 or 2021 Supras in local inventory in most dealerships in San Diego

Registered
Why are you talking about the 2022 when the 2021 is not even available. The 2021 will not be released

Its a little too soon to be guessing about the 2022 GR86, when the 2021 won鈥檛 be available until Spring or Summer of 2021.
I鈥檓 more interested why the 2021 GR86 isn鈥檛 shown on Toyota鈥檚 website, including the Future Vehicles section,
when other models, including the 2021 Supra is? There are no new 2020 or 2021 Supras in local inventory in most dealerships in San Diego
Supra 2.0 was announced and revealed , the gr86 Will be revealed in early 2021 , so It Will be avaible in Toyota sites in 2021 , anyway , can't understand why people still thinks It Will use tnga and turbocharged ,no way Toyota can adapt tnga to rwd , it's litterally unpossible unless you change totally the base chassis.

Supra 2.0 was announced and revealed , the gr86 Will be revealed in early 2021 , so It Will be avaible in Toyota sites in 2021 , anyway , can't understand why people still thinks It Will use tnga and turbocharged ,no way Toyota can adapt tnga to rwd , it's litterally unpossible unless you change totally the base chassis.
Ok, thanks. Yeah, I don't understand that either. Everywhere I look, it says the 2022 will have a turbo charged engine.
I have also read that Tetsuya Tada, chief engineer for the Supra, says the 86 will be even better than Toyota's halo car.
That was quoted by CNET's Road Show website on September 24,2019

Registered
Ok, thanks. Yeah, I don't understand that either. Everywhere I look, it says the 2022 will have a turbo charged engine.
I have also read that Tetsuya Tada, chief engineer for the Supra, says the 86 will be even better than Toyota's halo car.
The 86 and Supra are totally unique cars that cater to different customers. Do you prefer to drive a fast sports car on the highway, or a sports car that can be driven hard on twisty roads? You can鈥檛 go wrong with either. Me, as much as I want a Supra, I believe the 86 will be the more practical choice for me.

The 86 and Supra are totally unique cars that cater to different customers. Do you prefer to drive a fast sports car on the highway, or a sports car that can be driven hard on twisty roads? You can鈥檛 go wrong with either. Me, as much as I want a Supra, I believe the 86 will be the more practical choice for me.
I agree. If the Supra was more affordable I would go for it. I need an affordable daily driver.

Registered
I read that over 8 yrs the BRZ,86,FRS were on sale worldwide they sold approximately 116,000 vehicles. That folks is not a lot of cars. Unless you go to a muscle car the coupe market in the lower price ranges is dying out. Honda just discontinued the SI Coupe. The only other small Coupe (sort of) is the Miata. The 124 spider would have made a great Coupe and would have expanded sales in my opinion. Everything else now in the price range is Hatchback or sedan with 4 doors. There is no way Toyota/Subaru are going to spend a ton of money on this new car. I think the fact that they are coming out with version 2 is fantastic especially at this price point. Version 2 should be an improved car and should appeal to the person that does not want a big muscle car. The dream of the small affordable RWD sportscar is still alive in Miata, BRZ and 86. Thank god.

I read that over 8 yrs the BRZ,86,FRS were on sale worldwide they sold approximately 116,000 vehicles. That folks is not a lot of cars. Unless you go to a muscle car the coupe market in the lower price ranges is dying out. Honda just discontinued the SI Coupe. The only other small Coupe (sort of) is the Miata. The 124 spider would have made a great Coupe and would have expanded sales in my opinion. Everything else now in the price range is Hatchback or sedan with 4 doors. There is no way Toyota/Subaru are going to spend a ton of money on this new car. I think the fact that they are coming out with version 2 is fantastic especially at this price point. Version 2 should be an improved car and should appeal to the person that does not want a big muscle car. The dream of the small affordable RWD sportscar is still alive in Miata, BRZ and 86. Thank god.
The Fiat 124 was a nice looking car, but Fiat didn't promote it enough. They advertised the 500 series about 100 times more. They relied too much on social media. I didn't even know about it until last year, and in all that time I saw two.
Here in Southern California, they should have sold better. And then Fiat decided to kill it, with no intention of bringing it back. I think the only 500 available now is an electric model.

Registered
Those are merely rumors, to drive up the hype.
One thing for sure is both the 86 and Supra are great cars. You can鈥檛 go wrong with either.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts