Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Toyota published this list of key features in the 2022 GR86. Closer to Autumn 2021 when it goes on-sale is when we'll get to learn more.

Key Features of the GR 86

1. Interior and exterior designs embrace responsive handling and functional beauty

Exterior
  • With fender tops that extend horizontally to the beltline, the GR 86 boasts a stance distinctive of front-engine, rear-wheel-drive vehicles. Its low, horizontal underbody and narrow cabin rear combine to create a broad, low-center-of-gravity appearance.
  • The front of the vehicle features the GR-specific Functional MATRIX Grille, which fuses performance and emotionality.
Interior
  • The operating system―which includes the various switches and the horizontally-accented instrument panel―is optimally located to create a space that enables the driver can concentrate on driving.
  • The display features a 7-inch TFT screen. Its opening animation sequence is inspired by the piston movements of the GR 86's horizontally opposed engine, and fosters a sense of excitement even before the drive begins.

1. The evolutionary new 2.4L horizontally opposed four-cylinder engine retains the unique qualities of the 86

Sporting a lightweight, compact engine with a low center-of-gravity in line with previous iterations, the GR 86 increases its displacement size from 2.0 to 2.4L. The engine delivers superior driving performance as a consequence, achieving 0-100km/h acceleration in just 6.3 seconds―down from the 7.4 seconds of the outgoing model. Engine responsiveness has also been enhanced, providing smooth, stress-free sensations from low to high rpms.

1. Inheriting an extremely low center-of-gravity front-engine, rear-wheel-drive package, the new GR86 provides a step-change in agility

• The dimensions of the new GR 86 are almost identical to the previous model. Limiting both the overall height and hip-point of the vehicle helps lower the center-of-gravity and enhance turning performance, and so delivering the agility required of an 86.
  • The use of aluminum for the roof panels results in a lower center-of-gravity, while aluminum fenders and updated front seats and mufflers contribute to reduced weight.
  • Body rigidity has been improved, with the goal of offering pleasurable handling in all speed ranges―from urban driving to the upper limits of performance. Torsional rigidity has been enhanced by approximately 50% over the previous model for greater steering stability.

1. Aerodynamic components are rooted in motorsports

The GR 86 features aerodynamic components seen on 86 models that participate in motorsports. These include air outlets, side sill spoilers, and other parts that improve steering responsiveness and stability.

1. A sports car that provides a secure and safe car life

The AT version of the GR 86 uses Subaru's EyeSight* Driver Assist Technology. This system of comprehensive safety technologies provides safety support during everyday driving; pre-collision safety technologies that help avoid or reduce collision impacts; and emergency rescue support and secondary collision avoidance support in the event of an accident.

*EyeSight is a registered trademark of Subaru Corporation

·
Registered
30 Posts
What were you expecting? Everyone knew this.
What I still dont understand is that yes, it was a fact that the whole world knew the cars would be the same. But im confused why toyota made an event called lets make a better car blah blah blah. also, dissent Akio Toyota demand the 86 be more different compared to how the 1st gen twins compared? Seems like toyota hyped it up for nothing

·
Registered
313 Posts
What will be different will be the way the 86 goes around corners. Tire and wheel size are the same. Akio Toyota is simply duplicating the slightly different handling character between version one 86 and BRZ. On the first generation car when they originally debuted the 86 had a slightly more over-steer characteristic than the BRZ. I would guess that generation two should be similar in its handling difference over the BRZ. However I seriously doubt it will be "night and day". The 86 might also come with different brand tires to enhance this difference. But I agree the event is more hype than reality.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Twins will always be twins. As much as I’d hoped for more differences, I’m already contented because there will be another generation for the twins. More differences would definitely mean more $$$. Now, I’m just hoping Toyota and Subaru would stay affordable. Sticking with the current price will already be good.

·
Registered
85 Posts
What I still dont understand is that yes, it was a fact that the whole world knew the cars would be the same. But im confused why toyota made an event called lets make a better car blah blah blah. also, dissent Akio Toyota demand the 86 be more different compared to how the 1st gen twins compared? Seems like toyota hyped it up for nothing
The hype was made by bestcar and then the rest of the 'journalistic community' just parroted it. Toyota never released any statement about making the GR86 significantly different from the BRZ, especially not this late in the game. I think the thirst for more info among the press was high enough to just roll with a clickbait story and the internet accepted it as fact.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Will the new 86 have reverse camera as standard? The Subaru BRZ has this black thing below the third brake light which I suppose is the reverse camera, while the Toyota 86 doesn’t.

·
Super Moderator
442 Posts
Will the new 86 have reverse camera as standard? The Subaru BRZ has this black thing below the third brake light which I suppose is the reverse camera, while the Toyota 86 doesn’t.
I did notice that there was quite a few versions of the Toyota being shown across the last week.

The version with the red carpet, leather trim and red stitching and one with standard carpet, leather trim with white stiching

And there was also a version in the drive comparison with crappy cloth trim, no heated seats switch.

The BRZ seems to also come with chrome trim interior door handles, and a bit more of that chrome trim treatment around some bits.

All of them look to have climate controlled aircon, which is surprising.

But a lot of the interior specs for how many version they do for what markets is still up in the air.

In the first generation here in Australia, there was two versions - a low spec (16" crappy interior) and a high spec (17" nice interior), and Subaru brought out their BRZ in a single 'mid' spec. 17" Nice interior, but no satnav.

The 86 top spec also had a 'frameless' rear vision mirror, which I hope they continue into second gen, but haven't seen it yet.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Another exterior difference between the GR86 and BRZ are the daytime running lights. The GR86 has more of a boomerang look while the BRZ has more of a C clamp look.

View attachment 981
View attachment 980
Love it that Subaru’s version has a spelled out “BRZ” at the top edge of the headlights, while the GR 86 doesn’t seem to have it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I wonder if Toyota will offer different ”grades” similar to the GR Yaris , eg Regular , Convenience, Circuit ? . On the GRY the main difference on Circuit pack are the lightweight alloys , two Torsen Diffs and stiffer suspension, brakes are the same size (huge) on all grades. An option to have larger brakes , light wheels, unrated dampers as per the Blue Edition Performance Pack would be nice to have. As for infotainment I’m happy just to have Apple/Android as standard. I think all Toyotas in the U.K. come with reversing cameras.

What is everyone else hoping for?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Toyota published this list of key features in the 2022 GR86. Closer to Autumn 2021 when it goes on-sale is when we'll get to learn more.

Key Features of the GR 86

1. Interior and exterior designs embrace responsive handling and functional beauty

Exterior
  • With fender tops that extend horizontally to the beltline, the GR 86 boasts a stance distinctive of front-engine, rear-wheel-drive vehicles. Its low, horizontal underbody and narrow cabin rear combine to create a broad, low-center-of-gravity appearance.
  • The front of the vehicle features the GR-specific Functional MATRIX Grille, which fuses performance and emotionality.
Interior
  • The operating system―which includes the various switches and the horizontally-accented instrument panel―is optimally located to create a space that enables the driver can concentrate on driving.
  • The display features a 7-inch TFT screen. Its opening animation sequence is inspired by the piston movements of the GR 86's horizontally opposed engine, and fosters a sense of excitement even before the drive begins.

1. The evolutionary new 2.4L horizontally opposed four-cylinder engine retains the unique qualities of the 86

Sporting a lightweight, compact engine with a low center-of-gravity in line with previous iterations, the GR 86 increases its displacement size from 2.0 to 2.4L. The engine delivers superior driving performance as a consequence, achieving 0-100km/h acceleration in just 6.3 seconds―down from the 7.4 seconds of the outgoing model. Engine responsiveness has also been enhanced, providing smooth, stress-free sensations from low to high rpms.

1. Inheriting an extremely low center-of-gravity front-engine, rear-wheel-drive package, the new GR86 provides a step-change in agility

• The dimensions of the new GR 86 are almost identical to the previous model. Limiting both the overall height and hip-point of the vehicle helps lower the center-of-gravity and enhance turning performance, and so delivering the agility required of an 86.
  • The use of aluminum for the roof panels results in a lower center-of-gravity, while aluminum fenders and updated front seats and mufflers contribute to reduced weight.
  • Body rigidity has been improved, with the goal of offering pleasurable handling in all speed ranges―from urban driving to the upper limits of performance. Torsional rigidity has been enhanced by approximately 50% over the previous model for greater steering stability.

1. Aerodynamic components are rooted in motorsports

The GR 86 features aerodynamic components seen on 86 models that participate in motorsports. These include air outlets, side sill spoilers, and other parts that improve steering responsiveness and stability.

1. A sports car that provides a secure and safe car life

The AT version of the GR 86 uses Subaru's EyeSight* Driver Assist Technology. This system of comprehensive safety technologies provides safety support during everyday driving; pre-collision safety technologies that help avoid or reduce collision impacts; and emergency rescue support and secondary collision avoidance support in the event of an accident.

*EyeSight is a registered trademark of Subaru Corporation
The new dash display looks like a big improvement and much cleaner than the one in the last GT86 👍

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.