Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks,

I am experiencing weird engine noise coming from the car's engine, it is pretty loud. The noise still exists after I turn off the HVAC system. I followed the break-in guidance seriously, never revving it up to 4k rpm. Do any 2022 owners have this problem as well? What caused it? Do I need to worry about it?

Here's the noise:

·
Registered
191 Posts
I believe in modern cars, the HVAC blower always is on, even if the system is off. This is to make sure that fresh air is always coming into the cabin. It sounds like it might be the HVAC blower.

·
Registered
Ordered 2022 Ice Silver BRZ Limited manual.
278 Posts
Probably nothing horrible, but not normal. I would get it figured out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have this exact same sound and it's been kind of driving me crazy. For me, it only seems to happen on really cold days, but even if the car is warmed up. It seems to be rev dependent, and most prominent at idle and lower cruising revs. I can also hear it regardless of whether the HVAC blower is on or not. At first I was worried it was a vacuum leak or air in the coolant, but I think in reality it probably is just the blower (which as Ritter noted is probably on regardless) or the sound of the high pressure fuel pump from inside the cabin.

·
Registered
278 Posts
That would be a new one for me. No car I have ever owned has run the blower motor without it being turned on. Not saying its incorrect, but I have never seen it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It's your petrol injectors. Solenoid based injectors, especially the DIs, can be pretty loud. It's perfectly normal.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Are the direct injectors always active at idle?
A little Googling came up with some interesting stuff. If it’s the DI you might sometimes hear it and sometimes not. The video explains when and why.

Video is by Engineering Expained. Always worthwhile….

·
Registered
72 Posts
Sounds weird for DI. DI sounds like ticking lifters, though maybe it's getting filtered into the cabin in such a way that the sound changes . . . now I wonder if it could be the mic for the sound generator picking up the DI and distorting the frequency. Could the sound be coming from the engine speaker?

·
Registered
278 Posts
I have multiple cars with direct injection and this is not my only that uses both direct and port. None in my experience are that loud. If it was that normal, I would think that there would be a lot of replies in here saying theirs sounds exactly the same.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same issue and will add to this thread later tonight. I want to continue this thread and will provide my videos and hopefully we can figure things out.

·
Registered
278 Posts
So thought I remembered hearing something about a cleaning cycle that the D4S injection system does. I have never heard it happen in person. I do not have my car yet, but do have a friend with a 2017. He says, that he has never heard the cleaning cycle happen, but his car is also loud and obnoxious to be honest. I think there is a strong possibility that this is what is going on. If it lasts any excessive period of time, then something else is going on. Link attached that explains the system. I know it says for the tacoma, but D4S is the same system on the BRZ\86.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts