Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yes-I probably was a little over the top on my analysis. But while it maybe on the same chassis it's clear to me
that aside from the different front and rear ends a few things have been reworked. Look at a current profile of the current BRZ and look at this pre-production car and you will see what I mean.

·
Registered
136 Posts
The wheels do look the same as the GR Yaris. However when I look at these photos the profile of this new BRZ is slightly different than the current one. I'm not just talking about the new front and rear ends. That's easy to see with the new headlights and grill and new tail lights. But looking at the profile some things stand out. The distance from the rear of the door to the rear wheel looks bigger than the current car. There is more overhang behind the rear wheel. There is more overhang in front of the front wheel. The door seems to be about the same length as the current car but now seems taller. The greenhouse is the same general shape but seems a little shallower. The rear deck behind the c pillar is longer and flatter. The gap between the edge of the front door and front wheel is a little shorter. overall this may indicate a slightly longer wheelbase with more emphasis towards increased rear room seating. The overall height might be about the same or slightly taller by an inch. With the longer deck, longer overhangs both front and rear we are looking at a longer car overall. My guess overall height 51 inches. Overall length 173 inches. Based on previous photos with that Mustang I would say width is up by about an inch or so. This looks to be a bigger car than the current BRZ. The front hood seems to sit higher but is more rounded than the current car while not sloping down as much as the current cur until you get past the front wheels. Dare I say in profile the front reminds me a little of a 944.
When all the dimensions and specs come out I think you're going to be pretty close if not spot on.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Ok-Now I'm really reaching a bit. I think the reason that Subaru might be making the BRZ/86 a little larger is to capture some of those Honda Civic SI Coupe buyers. Although it is being discontinued for a Coupe the SI has decent rear leg room and cargo room. That makes owning it a more practical proposition. By making the car a little bit bigger Subaru is making it clear it wants the BRZ/86 to be a more practical car to own then a Mazda Miata. The current model already is. The newer model should be more so. Also it could become a more viable alternative to a Mustang Ecoboost with the extra power and I assume overall lower price. Sports cars are by there very nature not everyday cars. If you increase the roominess and practicality as well as performance at a fairly reasonable price you are giving any buyer more reason to own one. The result more sales. Now the counter argument is the Subaru WRX, any sporty hatchaback(ie Golf GTI, Veloster N, Civic Type R. Well all are 4dr's and in my view not as attractive as most coupes. Further most optioned out Golfs, Veloster N, WRX's and the Type R are more money and NOT RWD. So I think the BRZ/86 hits the sweet spot, especially if it is more roomy and practical.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Ok-Now I'm really reaching a bit. I think the reason that Subaru might be making the BRZ/86 a little larger is to capture some of those Honda Civic SI Coupe buyers. Although it is being discontinued for a Coupe the SI has decent rear leg room and cargo room. That makes owning it a more practical proposition. By making the car a little bit bigger Subaru is making it clear it wants the BRZ/86 to be a more practical car to own then a Mazda Miata. The current model already is. The newer model should be more so. Also it could become a more viable alternative to a Mustang Ecoboost with the extra power and I assume overall lower price. Sports cars are by there very nature not everyday cars. If you increase the roominess and practicality as well as performance at a fairly reasonable price you are giving any buyer more reason to own one. The result more sales. Now the counter argument is the Subaru WRX, any sporty hatchaback(ie Golf GTI, Veloster N, Civic Type R. Well all are 4dr's and in my view not as attractive as most coupes. Further most optioned out Golfs, Veloster N, WRX's and the Type R are more money and NOT RWD. So I think the BRZ/86 hits the sweet spot, especially if it is more roomy and practical.
I think there's some truth to that. If you can convince people the BRZ/86 is easier to live with as a daily driver then I think they'll get more people that are on the fence to check it out.

·
Registered
133 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
A-that's a definite "no". This is clearly a photo shop of the current car modified. Someone took the current car and modified the rear lamps and put in the vertical slat behind the front wheels. The current mule does not have the front fender flairs at the top. it is flat. Also the rear Dec is flatter, longer and then rounded at the end as it is in the current Supra. Also the rear fender flair is the same as it is on the current car as is the greenhouse. The mule has a more shallow greenhouse.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Can't wait to see the new GR86 and BRZ!
Though when is Toyota going to tease their GR86? Or will they surprise us?
Good point. We've heard nothing from Toyota so maybe it will be a surprise. I don't think it's supposed to arrive until the Spring, so it could be a while yet.

BTW, welcome to the forum @basithboss243

·
Registered
9 Posts
had my focus st 220 for 9 years in january i cannot wait to buy a gr86, never waited for a new car to be released before, its torture waiting for information!

·
Registered
36 Posts
If there is not going to be a turbo(which we still do not know) I can't see the weight going up appreciably. This especially if it is going to be on the same platform. I am guessing(and I emphasize guessing) that the car will have a longer wheelbase and slightly wider track. I am also guessing it will have a slightly nicer interior with a slight upgrade in material quality. I certainly hope Subaru see's clear to NOT put in a humongous infotainment screen like they have in some of their other vehicles(ie Forrester, Accent, Legacy). This is supposed to be a sports car and proper scale is important. Having the biggest and best infotainment screen is not what buyers are looking for in this type of vehicle. Its more about addressing the issue's that many buyers and perspective buyers have said about the current generation. I think if there is a weight increase it would come from interior furnishings and wider wheels and tires. I doubt the larger 2.4 weighs much more than the current 2.0. Of course if it is a turbo that's a different story.

·
Registered
36 Posts
More important I hope that the price stays near the 30K mark. I would assume a standard say $1,500 increase due to it being a new model. I just hope they don't get too greedy. Hyundai just raised the price of the Veloster by about $3,500. Yes I know a lot more standard equipment as well as the standard performance pack. However the previous N performance pack was right around 30K. So Hyundai is milking the customer for the standard safety equipment that was previously optional. Could it be those new seats in the Veloster. They look nice but there still not heated and there is still no sunroof. I'm smelling "rip off" if you ask me.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts