Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
Subaru Canada revealed the BRZ for the Canadian Market and they included a bunch of great photos of the car!

View attachment 896

Exterior Photos

Interior Photos

Great photos! 馃憤 I believe Subaru鈥檚 promoting EyeSight tech that鈥檚 why it鈥檚 with the automatic transmission. I wonder why EyeSight isn鈥檛 available with the manual transmission car and does it really matter?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great photos! 馃憤 I believe Subaru鈥檚 promoting EyeSight tech that鈥檚 why it鈥檚 with the automatic transmission. I wonder why EyeSight isn鈥檛 available with the manual transmission car and does it really matter?
From my understanding it has something to do with the auto braking/lane centering features and the sensors. I don't know if Subaru has ever explained why they don't offer it with manuals.

Registered
Don't see any Canadian market differences so far. Are any to make it winter friendly expected?

Registered
From my understanding it has something to do with the auto braking/lane centering features and the sensors. I don't know if Subaru has ever explained why they don't offer it with manuals.
Possible. Could be also to lower down the price. Though I believe most will still go for the manual variant even without EyeSight.

Registered
Just wondering now that the 2nd-gen BRZ had been lowered a bit, is it still practical enough and usable on normal roads, as well as pass through potholes, bumps and ramps, so as not to scrape its precious bottom?

Registered
My best guess is that EyeSight needs the ability to bring the car to a dead stop. Unless they somehow implement a way to automatically actuating the clutch, there's no way to bring the car to a dead stop without stalling out the car and potentially creating a dangerous situation.

Registered
Just wondering now that the 2nd-gen BRZ had been lowered a bit, is it still practical enough and usable on normal roads, as well as pass through potholes, bumps and ramps, so as not to scrape its precious bottom?
During the 'Ride Along' with Scott Speed, in a few videos he mentions that they have made the chassis stiffer which allows more suspension travel while retaining grip. He was particularly complimentary.

The biggest changes to how the car feels to drive daily is likely to be the change in tire to the much harder sidewalled pilot sport 4S.

But my guess at this point is that not only will it be OK as a daily, it will feel very similar to the old one - and that is freaking awesome in how you can feel the road without it being crashy.

Registered
During the 'Ride Along' with Scott Speed, in a few videos he mentions that they have made the chassis stiffer which allows more suspension travel while retaining grip. He was particularly complimentary.

The biggest changes to how the car feels to drive daily is likely to be the change in tire to the much harder sidewalled pilot sport 4S.

But my guess at this point is that not only will it be OK as a daily, it will feel very similar to the old one - and that is freaking awesome in how you can feel the road without it being crashy.
Sounds quite promising. Can鈥檛 wait to drive it! Looking forward to the launch of the 86 so we can compare it to the BRZ.

I know sports cars aren鈥檛 the most practical cars but I鈥檓 still dreaming of owning a sports car someday that I can drive on a regular basis which can go thru poor road conditions. I know the 1st-gen 86/BRZ can tackle thru those without problems. Otherwise, I鈥檓 looking forward to an EV. Love EV鈥檚 for they need a lot less for maintenance. The reason I鈥檓 considering an ICE sports car is mainly for the love of shifting your own gears and ICE cars have their unique identity. I wonder how it feels be like to drive an EV sports car, say Porsche Taycan. Yes, it鈥檚 fast, and I believe it can corner well; but lacking the manual is huge especially for enthusiasts. If ever, do you think an EV can have a manual transmission too? I know it doesn鈥檛 make a lot of sense but just for the feel of driving a true driver鈥檚 car.

Registered
Sounds quite promising. Can鈥檛 wait to drive it! Looking forward to the launch of the 86 so we can compare it to the BRZ.

I know sports cars aren鈥檛 the most practical cars but I鈥檓 still dreaming of owning a sports car someday that I can drive on a regular basis which can go thru poor road conditions. I know the 1st-gen 86/BRZ can tackle thru those without problems. Otherwise, I鈥檓 looking forward to an EV. Love EV鈥檚 for they need a lot less for maintenance. The reason I鈥檓 considering an ICE sports car is mainly for the love of shifting your own gears and ICE cars have their unique identity. I wonder how it feels be like to drive an EV sports car, say Porsche Taycan. Yes, it鈥檚 fast, and I believe it can corner well; but lacking the manual is huge especially for enthusiasts. If ever, do you think an EV can have a manual transmission too? I know it doesn鈥檛 make a lot of sense but just for the feel of driving a true driver鈥檚 car.
Soon you wont be able to buy an ICE. The next 4 years are almost certainly end of natural aspirated cars outside of high end performance vehicles, small capacity turbo engines and hybrids will make it a little further, perhaps another 8 or 9 years.

And after that, you wont ever be able to buy a car with manual gears because they will all be electric, fast for sure, but heavy and not ever going to be quite the same handling things. So hang onto it and look after it. Down the track buy an electric autonomous family car, keep this baby for yourself.

Registered
My best guess is that EyeSight needs the ability to bring the car to a dead stop. Unless they somehow implement a way to automatically actuating the clutch, there's no way to bring the car to a dead stop without stalling out the car and potentially creating a dangerous situation.
I doubt its worth going that far with EyeSight on manual transmission models, its just too advanced for an affordable car like this. How many of you here would even care to have it?

Registered
That's the only thing that comes to mind about why it can't work on the manual version. Are there any manual cars that are able to use something similar to eyesight?

Registered
That's the only thing that comes to mind about why it can't work on the manual version. Are there any manual cars that are able to use something similar to eyesight?
Not exactly manual but cars with BMW SMG style transmissions should have no problem including that EyeSight feature. It could be the direction Toyota/Subaru heads after this generation is up. Manuals won't last forever.

Registered
Not exactly manual but cars with BMW SMG style transmissions should have no problem including that EyeSight feature. It could be the direction Toyota/Subaru heads after this generation is up. Manuals won't last forever.
I won't say no to Toyota or Subaru developing a sequential gearbox. That'd be interesting to see in the 86/BRZ. I'm sure they'd make it more reliable than the BMW one.

Registered
It is interesting isnt it.

For instance, the manual only GR Yaris has a pre-collision system, lane keep assist, and active cruise control.

However, here is what is says about the pre-collision system.
"This advanced system is designed to detect other vehicles and pedestrians as well as cyclists during daylight, and can even help monitor complex situations like an intersection. The All-New GR Yaris is designed to warn the driver of an imminent collision and even apply the brakes to help minimise or avoid impact[S1]. "

Under the S1 footnote it says.
"Driver assist feature. Only operates under certain conditions. Check your Owner's Manual for explanation of limitations. Please drive safely. "

Will be interesting to see what those condition are, but I assume it would likely be based around ensuring the car doesn't stall (as someone has mentioned).

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It is interesting isnt it.

For instance, the manual only GR Yaris has a pre-collision system, lane keep assist, and active cruise control.

However, here is what is says about the pre-collision system.
"This advanced system is designed to detect other vehicles and pedestrians as well as cyclists during daylight, and can even help monitor complex situations like an intersection. The All-New GR Yaris is designed to warn the driver of an imminent collision and even apply the brakes to help minimise or avoid impact[S1]. "

Under the S1 footnote it says.
"Driver assist feature. Only operates under certain conditions. Check your Owner's Manual for explanation of limitations. Please drive safely. "

Will be interesting to see what those condition are, but I assume it would likely be based around ensuring the car doesn't stall (as someone has mentioned).
That is interesting. I didn't know that about the GR Yaris. If it can monitor situations like an intersection I wonder if it's only for low speed situations.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts