Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
I own a limited, and idk if its the tires or the lack of sound absorption, but I hear a lot of noise coming from the front wheels. Anyone else notice this?
Is it worse then the previous gen? Ofcourse there’s no acoustic damping whatsoever. Considering that; previous gen wasn’t to bad. I was more annoyed by the rattling wind noise from the frameless sliding windows.

·
Registered
Ordered: '22 LTD AT Sapphire Blue Pearl
88 Posts
I've been reading up on the Torsen limited-slip rear differential. One of the "cons" is noise. Are you sure it's coming from the front of the vehicle? Sounds sometimes bounce off the windshield, making them hard to locate. Maybe cup your ear with your hand toward the rear and take a listen.

·
Registered
2022 Subaru BRZ Sport-tech WRB
57 Posts
I didn't get a chance to drive with the stock PS4 tires because my city is covered in snow already. But I find the cabin pretty quite with the Michelin X-Ice Snow though. Probably the tires.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been reading up on the Torsen limited-slip rear differential. One of the "cons" is noise. Are you sure it's coming from the front of the vehicle? Sounds sometimes bounce off the windshield, making them hard to locate. Maybe cup your ear with your hand toward the rear and take a listen.
Its not the diff. mainly is just the tires being loud.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is it worse then the previous gen? Ofcourse there’s no acoustic damping whatsoever. Considering that; previous gen wasn’t to bad. I was more annoyed by the rattling wind noise from the frameless sliding windows.
Its actually, I think quieter, its just the tires at higher speeds do get a little loud.

·
Registered
Ordered 2022 Ice Silver BRZ Limited manual.
78 Posts
PS4s are noisy. I put a set on my wifes mustang convertible to replace the stock all seasons a few years back. Being a convertible there is basically no blocking sounds from getting in the cabin. The PS4 tires were drastically louder. The next set was continental DWS 06 which is actually an all season tire. Not only do they grip just as well, they are much quieter.

·
Registered
88 Posts
My 124 Spider came with Bridgestone Potenza S001 summer tires as the OEM tire. They weren't that grippy nor quiet. At 14,000 miles I replaced them with Continental Extreme Contact Sport summer tires. Night and day difference! Quiet, smooth-riding, great handling, and very grippy. I run them about 3 PSI over the standard tire pressure on the vehicle label for better load capacity and tighter handling (they were a little splashy at the lower pressure).

·
Registered
4 Posts
I didn't get a chance to drive with the stock PS4 tires because my city is covered in snow already. But I find the cabin pretty quite with the Michelin X-Ice Snow though. Probably the tires.
Hey Kevin,
Did you get your Michelin snow tires from Subaru Canada, or after market? also, did you get an extra set of wheels? I'm getting my BRZ in less than a month, and I want to be prepared for winter.
Thanks

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hey Kevin,
Did you get your Michelin snow tires from Subaru Canada, or after market? also, did you get an extra set of wheels? I'm getting my BRZ in less than a month, and I want to be prepared for winter.
Thanks
I bought a set of used ones off Facebook with steelies for $500. Paid another $100 for hubcaps off Amazon.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Does this seem like a reasonable deal?
View attachment 2936
I cannot see clearly when was the manufacturing date for the tires so I cannot give a definite answer. If the tires were made within the last 2-3 years, it's not a bad deal but there could be better deals out there too. If you don't mind using steelies, you can probably save some more on it. Also, you don't have to stick with the stock size. My winter tires are 205/50R17 that were originally from an Impreza. It is slightly narrower but also have a slightly taller side wall compare to the OEM 18" spec which I prefer because I can have a little bit more clearance. At the end of the day, if you think it is worth it, go ahead.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I cannot see clearly when was the manufacturing date for the tires so I cannot give a definite answer. If the tires were made within the last 2-3 years, it's not a bad deal but there could be better deals out there too. If you don't mind using steelies, you can probably save some more on it. Also, you don't have to stick with the stock size. My winter tires are 205/50R17 that were originally from an Impreza. It is slightly narrower but also have a slightly taller side wall compare to the OEM 18" spec which I prefer because I can have a little bit more clearance. At the end of the day, if you think it is worth it, go ahead.
thanks, I really appreciate your input. They look to have a 2018 manufactured date, so not bad I guess. I'm still a few weeks away from delivery, so I can certainly wait. Just getting excited!!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Reactions: kevinieung
1 - 17 of 17 Posts