Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
My question is this. Is the SI a that much better driving machine then the Civic Sport Touring 6 speed Hatchback. True it has 20 extra horsepower but weighs in at 40 to 50LBS more then the previous SI. Also what are they going to price this thing at? I still think the hatch is better looking. With the after market and a few minor suspension tweeks you could , I think, easily bring the handling of the hatch to parity with the SI. And of course an engine tune. Also curious. They boast about a more pure exhaust but yet they are also bringing in artificial engine noise as well. I'm sure they did not go with an SI hatch because it is more expensive to produce. My guess is that the new SI will be priced below the Civic Sport Grand Touring. Maybe around 27 or 28K fairly loaded.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My question is this. Is the SI a that much better driving machine then the Civic Sport Touring 6 speed Hatchback. True it has 20 extra horsepower but weighs in at 40 to 50LBS more then the previous SI. Also what are they going to price this thing at? I still think the hatch is better looking. With the after market and a few minor suspension tweeks you could , I think, easily bring the handling of the hatch to parity with the SI. And of course an engine tune. Also curious. They boast about a more pure exhaust but yet they are also bringing in artificial engine noise as well. I'm sure they did not go with an SI hatch because it is more expensive to produce. My guess is that the new SI will be priced below the Civic Sport Grand Touring. Maybe around 27 or 28K fairly loaded.
The Si has a limited slip. Everything else equal, that will make it drive better. Few people will be adding a limited slip at any point in ownership of a fwd car.
This disregards the different sway bars, bigger brakes, stiffer suspension bushings, and different strut mounts.
It also has a single mass flywheel versus dual mass.

The new BRZ has a similar weight and hp increase over the previous generation, right?

·
Registered
322 Posts
In reality the 5 horsepower loss means nothing. Due to the better spread of torque and horsepower as well as the better revving nature of the new engine, 0-60 times should be similar to slightly better. In real world circumstances, the engine should have better mid range torque and more usable power in day to day driving. This car is built to a price point. The prettier Sport Touring Hatch is already priced over 30K. Honda would never get away with a 32K 200HP SI Hatchback. However, the new Type R is bound to be more expensive than the outgoing one. I would not be surprised if it touches 40K when it goes on sale. That leaves a lot of price room for a Civic SI R mid range Hatchback with the 2.0 engine from the Honda Accord for say 33 to 34 K. That could be the sweet spot in the Civic performance lineup.

·
Registered
322 Posts
You really cannot compare the upgraded engine in the BRZ to the Civic. In the BRZ there is nearly a 30 Ft LB improvement in torque with maximum torque happening at almost half the RPM versus the older BRZ. That is a much more dramatic difference then the SI. In addition the BRZ is about 300 LBS lighter!

·
Registered
549 Posts

A lot of my Honda friends were really sad 😂

Apparently there was some type of information leak on the Integra and how it's sharing the same engine from the Si. This was leaked a couple weeks ago, so they’re all mad at the little 200hp engine

·
Registered
549 Posts
In reality the 5 horsepower loss means nothing. Due to the better spread of torque and horsepower as well as the better revving nature of the new engine, 0-60 times should be similar to slightly better. In real world circumstances, the engine should have better mid range torque and more usable power in day to day driving. This car is built to a price point. The prettier Sport Touring Hatch is already priced over 30K. Honda would never get away with a 32K 200HP SI Hatchback. However, the new Type R is bound to be more expensive than the outgoing one. I would not be surprised if it touches 40K when it goes on sale. That leaves a lot of price room for a Civic SI R mid range Hatchback with the 2.0 engine from the Honda Accord for say 33 to 34 K. That could be the sweet spot in the Civic performance lineup.
Integra was leaked to be in the 33k range so there’s probably not going to be a hotter Si (btw SiR is just what they call the Si in other countries for the most part)
Honda is doing some very interesting things.

·
Registered
322 Posts
And that may be the answer and it does allow Honda to tune the SI engine a bit for the Integra. It will be interesting if they up the power for the Integra. Also that explains even more why there is no Hatchback for the SI. I have to say though I am a bit surprised no 2.0 for the Integra. Maybe Honda is playing around with the Type R and will offer a detuned version with a less aggressive spoiler. I can't see how the Type R is not going to hit 40K(unless Honda has figured out a cheaper way to build it).

·
Registered
268 Posts
And that may be the answer and it does allow Honda to tune the SI engine a bit for the Integra. It will be interesting if they up the power for the Integra. Also that explains even more why there is no Hatchback for the SI. I have to say though I am a bit surprised no 2.0 for the Integra. Maybe Honda is playing around with the Type R and will offer a detuned version with a less aggressive spoiler. I can't see how the Type R is not going to hit 40K(unless Honda has figured out a cheaper way to build it).
I’ve read that the Type R is going to be around
42k. The Integra is going to have a hatch.

·
Registered
2023 Toyota GR ハチロク
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A lot of my Honda friends were really sad 😂

Apparently there was some type of information leak on the Integra and how it's sharing the same engine from the Si. This was leaked a couple weeks ago, so they’re all mad at the little 200hp engine
what were they expecting? 300hp?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Yes-For a car manufacturer to produce a 240 HP 1.5 4 cylinder turbo for mass production is almost outside a companies
reliability quotient. Now saying this Toyota does have the GR Yaris with the 1.6 3 cylinder turbo engine.. My question would be how has Toyota upgraded the engine components to take that turbo boost so it meets their long term engine longevity requirements. Further the GR Yaris is still a limited production car that I would assume Toyota loses money on to produce but gains in rally hot hatch recognition. Realistically I doubt Honda would be reinforcing engine internals for its corporate 1.5 engine just for an Acura Integra. The 2.0 with a manual transmission would have to probably be re-certified for the Integra. Logically Honda would not want to spend the money to do so. The only other option aside from the Civic 1.5 would be the Type R spec 2.0. Doing so would require using all the Type R components and chassis. Would people really go for a 45K to 50K FWD hatchback. I don't think so. So I think the 2.0 is out of the question for the Integra. I think more realistic is the 1.5 with the best scenario being a 10 HP increase with a smaller torque increase. The more likely scenario is the 1.5 taken as is from the Civic SI with perhaps certifying it with the additional CVT along side the manual. If the engine characteristics have actually improved as much as Honda is boasting then it will be more than suitable for the Integra. I doubt there is much of a weight difference between it and the Honda Civic Hatchback.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts