Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking I will do an install turbo modification to my GR when I get it.
I'm not going to worry about blowing the factory warranty, and likely also the 2 year free maintenance they provide in USA.
But who will provide and install, what is a good reliable source and kit forthcoming?

So if anyone is looking to add turbo and has thoughts on it I hope to hear your put. I've never added a turbo, but am willing to go as far as 12K for having it done. If more than 12K or they're not likely reliable I'd be a no-go.
Anyone have experience with and planning to turbocharger-intercool their coming 2022 GR?

·
Registered
549 Posts
I'm thinking I will do an install turbo modification to my GR when I get it.
I'm not going to worry about blowing the factory warranty, and likely also the 2 year free maintenance they provide in USA.
But who will provide and install, what is a good reliable source and kit forthcoming?

So if anyone is looking to add turbo and has thoughts on it I hope to hear your put. I've never added a turbo, but am willing to go as far as 12K for having it done. If more than 12K or they're not likely reliable I'd be a no-go.
Anyone have experience with and planning to turbocharger-intercool their coming 2022 GR?
Most of the tuning houses we saw with 86 prototypes will have turbo kits sooner or later (Greddy comes to mind the most as my friends used their kit.)
Only thing is you are turbocharging a new boxer engine, it should be more stout but you’re going to go through the same growing pains setting up a early year car. Weren’t you one of the people considering a turbocharged hatch a month or so ago?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I was talking 4wd hot hatch and have since ruled that out.
I'll probably be happy with the GR stock but if I can have more juice I think I'll turbo just for fun.
It's funny that my 2012 2" lifted RAV-4 with V6 engine will out 0-60 the GR or so it seems. The RAV-4 is a rocket off the line but torque steer makes it a really wild ride. It seems fast-fast compared to the manual GR but don't really know.
I have a 1996 Hilux Surf with turbodiesel turbo upgraded and really like the sound so that's why I'm considering a GR turbo.
Thanks for your post!

·
Registered
549 Posts
Yes, I was talking 4wd hot hatch and have since ruled that out.
I'll probably be happy with the GR stock but if I can have more juice I think I'll turbo just for fun.
It's funny that my 2012 2" lifted RAV-4 with V6 engine will out 0-60 the GR or so it seems. The RAV-4 is a rocket off the line but torque steer makes it a really wild ride. It seems fast-fast compared to the manual GR but don't really know.
I have a 1996 Hilux Surf with turbodiesel turbo upgraded and really like the sound so that's why I'm considering a GR turbo.
Thanks for your post!
No problem bro. If you don’t mind me asking where are you from???

I say if you want to turbocharge it, the previous platform was reliable outside of the engine having its issues being boosted to an extent but if you just stay stock for a little bit and watch people build their cars, you get a better idea of what’s going on.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I'm in Seattle WA area. I wouldn't be owning for much more than a year so I'd modify soon or not at all. I would want to avoid having a hassle so a good reliable kit us install is essential.

There are particular roads and a couple of trips I'd want to experience in the GR and after that it would go to someone else.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Thanks, I'm in Seattle WA area. I wouldn't be owning for much more than a year so I'd modify soon or not at all. I would want to avoid having a hassle so a good reliable kit us install is essential.

There are particular roads and a couple of trips I'd want to experience in the GR and after that it would go to someone else.
Well if you end up loving the car and got any questions I’m in Oly.

·
Registered
11 Posts

Lmao Joey its wild reading that you only plan to own for a while (likely 1 year). I am sure with your 12k budget you can afford all the turbos or superchargers offered by the second hand market such as, Greddy (as mentioned), HKS, and a few others you can find in this forum. I guess reliability should not be a factor as that pretty much sounds like a problem for the next lucky owner of your GR lol. Regardless, I am sure these big name aftermarket companies are reliable. They must be if toyota went ahead and gave them all vehicles to mod.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks gr_lewis.
I think it will be like 1 1/2 years I'd own.
My thought was that it would be nice to have a more zippy GR by way of turbo and if its not to high a cost I would do it.
I wouldn't be modifying other than that.
I intend to move out of the country in less than 2 years and the GR would need to be left behind.
Selling the car I'd lose most of the money I spent on the turbo no doubt but if its a good system and reliable it may not be a huge throwaway.

Otherwise I'd do the VW turbo 4wd hot hatch and nah, with turbo the GR would be the more fun car IMO.
Hope that explains...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks gr_lewis.
I think it will be like 1 1/2 years I'd own.
My thought was that it would be nice to have a more zippy GR by way of turbo and if its not to high a cost I would do it.
I wouldn't be modifying other than that.
I intend to move out of the country in less than 2 years and the GR would need to be left behind.
Selling the car I'd lose most of the money I spent on the turbo no doubt but if its a good system and reliable it may not be a huge throwaway.

Otherwise I'd do the VW turbo 4wd hot hatch and nah, with turbo the GR would be the more fun car IMO.
Hope that explains...
I read a bunch of opinions and it seems keeping the car stock for at least 6 months should be considered. They said after you install any mods you can feel the difference right away and appreciate more of it. Psychologically speaking I think they are right 😂

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Out of country the GR and hot hatches are way high priced by added on taxes. Importing its the same except for and exclusion if the car was owned a couple years.
Like the GR and Yaris in Greece are only for the rich IMO.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No doubt NA is plenty good enough.
But being that the torque curve on the 2022 is very consistent throughout it would be nice to bump output overall.

Like I wouldn't want to buy a 2020 GT86 and put in a turbo on because it had an inconsistent torque curve that could only have made worse. Hope that makes sense...

·
Registered
115 Posts
I am with you on that, turbos can be fun but I much prefer an NA motor. Especially on something like the 86, now that they have improved the torque this little engine will be perfect with just a tune.
@Ghost of Akina, I like the idea of NA myself with NO turbo lag, but what do you mean by "just a tune"? I am guessing no turbo, but what.. adding a bigger tailpipe with no catalytic converter?

·
Registered
Toyota
31 Posts
@Ghost of Akina, I like the idea of NA myself with NO turbo lag, but what do you mean by "just a tune"? I am guessing no turbo, but what.. adding a bigger tailpipe with no catalytic converter?
I mean ECU tuning to unlock a few extra hp and torque. The 1st gen responded well to a header and a tune, I hope this is the same. Larger exhaust doesn’t do much on most modern cars it’s more for sound. Lastly don’t de-cat your exhaust, it’s bad for the environment and 9 times out of 10 sounds like $hit.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I mean ECU tuning to unlock a few extra hp and torque. The 1st gen responded well to a header and a tune, I hope this is the same. Larger exhaust doesn’t do much on most modern cars it’s more for sound. Lastly don’t de-cat your exhaust, it’s bad for the environment and 9 times out of 10 sounds like $hit.
Okay, tuning with new heads makes sense.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts