Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yup.
It's probably mostly thanks to the big displacement bump we got this time around.
Is the sound good enough to you or would something aftermarket be needed?
Me myself I'd like more sound. I will probably get the exhaust tuned a bit in order to have a louder and deeper sound if posible.

I don't know much about cars but I think that's achievable with some minor changes to the exhaust pipes. Can anyone explain me what those changes are?

·
Registered
705 Posts
Me myself I'd like more sound. I will probably get the exhaust tuned a bit in order to have a louder and deeper sound if posible.

I don't know much about cars but I think that's achievable with some minor changes to the exhaust pipes. Can anyone explain me what those changes are?
Exhaust upgrades can range from hundreds to thousands and considering that, how much would you be looking to spend?

If you're wondering, the TOMEI Expreme Ti Titanium Exhaust Type-60S that costs about $900-1000 sounds great to me on the current 86/BRZ and is what I am likely to get.

·
Registered
322 Posts
From a practical point of view my concern is this. Your spending a minimum of $900 to $1000 for minimal horsepower gain (and I bet with some products you lose horsepower and torque) coupled with exhaust drone on the highway. The original FA20 engine sounded like crap. For that reason I could see doing headers and exhaust. This new engine is so much smoother and more free revving. Having listened over and over to the fake engine noise I think it is simply taking the original sound and simply amplifying it to give a more full bodied sound. The harmonics otherwise seem the same to me. Doing an exhaust would probably neutralize the intake noise.
From a practical standpoint if I'm after more power it is an ECU tune for me. I like the intake noise, fake or not, much better than what I hear on say a Miata. What appeals to me about this new FA 24 engine is this. It naturally aspirated which means no turbo lag and no BOV noise. Way less heat in the engine compartment. With direct and port fuel injection, more efficient fuel delivery with no carbon build up on the valves. Hopefully this bodes well for longevity and makes a further argument for staying away from EV vehicles.

·
Registered
268 Posts
From a practical point of view my concern is this. Your spending a minimum of $900 to $1000 for minimal horsepower gain (and I bet with some products you lose horsepower and torque) coupled with exhaust drone on the highway. The original FA20 engine sounded like crap. For that reason I could see doing headers and exhaust. This new engine is so much smoother and more free revving. Having listened over and over to the fake engine noise I think it is simply taking the original sound and simply amplifying it to give a more full bodied sound. The harmonics otherwise seem the same to me. Doing an exhaust would probably neutralize the intake noise.
From a practical standpoint if I'm after more power it is an ECU tune for me. I like the intake noise, fake or not, much better than what I hear on say a Miata. What appeals to me about this new FA 24 engine is this. It naturally aspirated which means no turbo lag and no BOV noise. Way less heat in the engine compartment. With direct and port fuel injection, more efficient fuel delivery with no carbon build up on the valves. Hopefully this bodes well for longevity and makes a further argument for staying away from EV vehicles.
I am also on the Supr MKV forum. There has been a LOT of discussion about ECU tunes. A lot of owners have had problems with the ECU tunes. supramkv.com

·
Registered
322 Posts
Well we are talking about a BMW engines here. So my first question is are there BMW forums specifically on tuner options? I am sure there are tons of them. Or are there simply more safeguards built in to Bimmer engines that discourage tunes? I find that hard to believe in this day and age especially with companies like Dinan around. But again BMW engine, BMW aftermarket solutions.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Well we are talking about a BMW engines here. So my first question is are there BMW forums specifically on tuner options? I am sure there are tons of them. Or are there simply more safeguards built in to Bimmer engines that discourage tunes? I find that hard to believe in this day and age especially with companies like Dinan around. But again BMW engine, BMW aftermarket solutions.
Only on this and Supra forums. Its not the exact same engine. They have been tuned differently.

·
Registered
‘22 CWP BRZ Ordered
72 Posts
Only on this and Supra forums. Its not the exact same engine. They have been tuned differently.
Huh? I have an A90 Supra. There was simply a revised ECU that had new encryption. The Supra's are tuned exactly the same as the new BMWs. The G20 M340i sat next to the Supra in the driveway feels basically identical and the quoted specs are the same.

I had heard some companies had cracked the new tuning and were waiting on a secure release platform.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts