Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone plan on doing any performance mods to their new 2022 BRZ or GR86 ?
If so name what you plan on doing!

I first plan on adding the HKS spec L2 exhaust and HKS intake.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I'm planning to wait and read about others experiences with the mods before doing myself. I've seen a few videos on the HKS exhaust. It sounds decent. However, I want to find out how it sounds inside on the highway to see about if any drone. Intake again if there are any appreciable power gains or losses. Sometimes it's the latter. Last would be reports of decent gains through an ECU tune. As I said, I'm going to wait to get some reviews from others before I take the plunge.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Most I'll do on this one is an exhaust, and possibly an intake. I'm just doing a short lease for now with the intention of swapping into whatever inevitable performance pack model comes out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Most I'll do on this one is an exhaust, and possibly an intake. I'm just doing a short lease for now with the intention of swapping into whatever inevitable performance pack model comes out.
the BRZ STI version is out in Japan maybe it'll be available state side too

·
Registered
72 Posts
plan to keep it as factory. waiting for Brembo breaks, and later year upgrade from factory (STI performance pack or TRD pack) then switch.

·
Registered
Ordered 2022 Ice Silver BRZ Limited manual.
298 Posts
I will do an UEL catted header if they show to make any gains. Depending on how that sounds I may add an axle back exhaust as well. Not going to touch the front or mid pipe because that is a recipe for some nasty drone on the highway which I drive on daily. Other than that an E85 tune and some very slight lowering springs are all I want.

·
Registered
Miata NC 2012 Flyin' Miata Supercharger
2 Posts
Anyone plan on doing any performance mods to their new 2022 BRZ or GR86 ?
If so name what you plan on doing!

I first plan on adding the HKS spec L2 exhaust and HKS intake.
No baby steps for me once I get it next year. I'm going with one of the below.. DAY 1!
1) HKS Supercharger - will be available Feb 2022 I believe.
2) Edelbrook

I think the HKS will have the most HP (350 ?? ) potential so that is my first option unless Edelbrook provides some numbers.

·
Registered
512 Posts
No baby steps for me once I get it next year. I'm going with one of the below.. DAY 1!
1) HKS Supercharger - will be available Feb 2022 I believe.
2) Edelbrook

I think the HKS will have the most HP (350 ?? ) potential so that is my first option unless Edelbrook provides some numbers.
Hey @solariszone welcome to the forum! Are you planning on doing anything else along with the supercharger?

What kind of supercharger do you have on your 2012 Miata?

·
Registered
Miata NC 2012 Flyin' Miata Supercharger
2 Posts
Along with the supercharger, I may require an updated clutch, exhaust, and header. It all depends on what the vendor recommends. At this point, looks like we will have to wait for more details to come from the vendors.
For my Miata, I have the Cosworth supercharger. Here is a quick link to what is in store for my future GR86... God willing... 😎

·
Registered
Awaiting a 2022 GR86 premium in Trueno blue
56 Posts
I will do an UEL catted header if they show to make any gains. Depending on how that sounds I may add an axle back exhaust as well. Not going to touch the front or mid pipe because that is a recipe for some nasty drone on the highway which I drive on daily. Other than that an E85 tune and some very slight lowering springs are all I want.
Saw a video of a shop taking a borla uel header from a first gen and slapping it on a 2nd gen.
It gained about 16 wtq in the mid range right around where the to kind of dips, 3500-6000rpm showed gain over stock. I did however lose 6-8 whp at the top end though.
The pipes are smaller on the 1st gen so once people start designing them for second gen hopefully there should be some nice gains.
This was just a simple slap header on no tuning at all comparison.

·
Registered
Ordered 2022 Ice Silver BRZ Limited manual.
298 Posts
Saw a video of a shop taking a borla uel header from a first gen and slapping it on a 2nd gen.
It gained about 16 wtq in the mid range right around where the to kind of dips, 3500-6000rpm showed gain over stock. I did however lose 6-8 whp at the top end though.
The pipes are smaller on the 1st gen so once people start designing them for second gen hopefully there should be some nice gains.
This was just a simple slap header on no tuning at all comparison.
Saw that. It was also catless which I refuse to do. I cant stand the sound of these cars catless. I have had my share of cars with no cats and im over it. You can make just as much power with cats installed and not smell like you just rolled around in a puddle of fuel. Those results were definitely not enough to persuade me into a header. It did flatten out the torque dip a bit. That is a result of the UEL design. It just moves the powerband around a bit. The only 2 headers I have seen installed so far have been super low quality parts. Hopefully somebody can test a top notch catted product and get some results. Im going to guess the fa24 is going to be similar to the 2017+ cars, in fact that a header just wont do much. The OEM design is just that good. Although, some people will want it for that off balanced subie rumble.

·
Registered
Awaiting a 2022 GR86 premium in Trueno blue
56 Posts
I agree with you totally on that, no way I'm gonna be that guy that makes the driver behind me have their eyes tearing like I'm some racercarboy.

Hopefully in time there will be people that post with more quality products, my guess, maybe some guys in Japan will.

Right now, it's just a race of people wanting to be the first ones to post videos of it and throwing on whatever they have.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts